More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Cereal trivia from Wikipedia:

"Wheaties was created in 1922, as a result of an accidental spill of a wheat bran mixture onto a hot stove by a Minnesota clinician working for the Washburn Crosby Company (later General Mills)."

"Sales of Wheaties in the US has declined significantly. From 2005 to 2014 sales of Wheaties declined 78%."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sigmund Freud was a fascinating but in many ways strange dude. The cocaine probably didn't help his neuroses and character flaws either.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Speaking of strange, I was shocked when I read Schopenhauer's biography many years ago. I assumed philosophers were mostly passive, nice people. Not Schopenhauer! He seemed to never regret pushing his female neighbor down a flight of stairs.

Wisdom Lovers - Existential Comics

"[The philosopher] Schopenhauer once pushed a woman down a flight of stairs because she was too noisy. He went to court for this, and as punishment had to pay her for the rest of his life."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Trends in Agriculture -- North Dakota State University

For much of the world until the mid-1800s, most persons were involved in agriculture. For example in the United States, 90% of the population were farmers in 1790. Essentially, people produced the food they consumed...A century later (1890), farmers were 43% of the labor force. In another century (1990), farmers were 2.6% of the labor force.

GaryQ

MVP
And they actually think credit cards are real money like if it was part of their available assets :facepalm: But then again that's a fact that is probably as prevalent in all age groups up to and including 55+. I read somewhere that since they started those mortgage credit lines where every 1$ you pay down on your mortgage is added to your credit line accordingly, some people actually owe more on their home than they bought it for 10 and 20 years ago because the credit card debts etc gets added to the mortgage when renewed as property value keeps artificially inflating and so does the residual amount get tacked onto the credit line. Long gone are the days when a home was paid off in 20-25 years and was a big part of your retirement egg basket.

I actually don't feel bad when I read or hear about seniors having a rough time when they hit retirement because they can no longer afford to pay the mortgage. What were they thinking if they still have a mortgage at retirement? Sell the damn 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom house and downsize.

"The difference between Genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits" ~ (Atrributed to Albert Einstein since about 1994 but a big debate about it being true reigns and definitely not the first documented reference to the correlation between the limits of genius and stupidity)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Orange roughy lives 100 years or more—so the fillet in your freezer might be from a fish older than your grandmother!"

-- Seafood Watch

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think I went to school with a guy named Slimehead... I could be wrong, though... it was a long time ago... in another place far far away...

GaryQ

MVP
School: we could make a weekend degree:

learn in on one weekend everything you’d actually remember 3 years after if you went to college :rolleyes:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Under the rule of Aztec emperor Montezuma, the cocoa bean was used as currency."

"The average annual income in 1913 was $800."

"The most misused Social Security number of all time was 078-05-1120. In 1938, as part of a promotion to sell wallets through Woolworth and other department stores, wallet manufacturer E. H. Ferree Company wanted to demonstrate how a Social Security card would fit into its wallets. A sample card was placed inside each wallet and displayed the Social Security number of the company's secretary, Mrs. Hilda Schrader Whitcher. Even though the sample card was half of the size of an actual Social Security card, was written in red, and had Specimen written in bold, many people confusedly used this as their own Social Security number. In 1943, 5,755 people were using Hilda's number."

-- Internal Revenue Service: Tax Trivia

GaryQ

MVP
Continuing on the Tax time IRS theme (also applicable to Canada and probably most countries just not the same publication)

To this day, Publication 17 of the IRS notes that "ncome from illegal activities," including money received from dealing illegal drugs or bribes, must be included in the declaration of one's income.

Al Capone is probably the most used reference for evading the law but not the Tax Man!

Liberty Tax Canada had fun on the subject and wrote a hilarious article: "TAX TIPS FOR CRIMINALS"

Here's the lnk

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.