More threads by making_art

making_art

Unlocking the emotions of cancer

By Heather Stringer
APA Monitor
2014, Vol 45, No. 10

A new mandate requires cancer centers to screen oncology patients for distress.

Susan Syring, a nurse at Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis, recently cared for a woman in her late 60s who needed radiation treatment for liver cancer. The patient showed no outward signs of anxiety. But when Syring mentioned they might ask her to take a test that rated people's distress from zero (no distress) to 10 (extreme distress), the patient's daughter interjected that her mother must be a 20 out of 10.

"This surprised me because [the patient] was not restless or doing anything I would have normally picked up on," Syring says.

She soon learned why her patient was distraught: Not only was the woman raising two teenage grandsons because her son had recently died, but her husband was terminally ill with blood cancer. The patient was relieved when Syring explained that the hospital offered free counseling services.

Depression and anxiety are among the most common mood disorders associated with cancer. According to a 2012 study of more than 10,000 patients diagnosed with the disease, 19 percent showed clinical levels of anxiety, and another 23 percent reported subclinical symptoms. About 13 percent of the patients showed levels of depression in the clinical range, and 17 percent reported subclinical depression symptoms (Journal of Affective Disorders, 2012).

Syring's patient was fortunate, because Siteman Cancer Center has started screening oncology patients for distress using a tool called the Distress Thermometer. But many cancer centers do not have such programs and, consequently, mood disorders often go unrecognized.

Some institutions have started implementing screenings to identify patients most at risk of mental health disorders during treatment. Other sites, however, have been overwhelmed by the logistics of offering psychosocial support to patients who may be dealing with fear of mortality, financial insecurity and debilitating drug side effects, including fatigue. According to a survey conducted by the American Psychosocial Oncology Society, about 90 percent of the 146 institutions surveyed offer clinical psychosocial services, but only about half of those facilities provide routine distress screening (Psycho-Oncology, 2013).

For patients, there is actually disincentive to initiate these types of conversations — they don't want to be a "problem patient" or distract the physician from treating the cancer, says Northwestern University psychologist Lynne Wagner, PhD. "The patient assumes that the oncology team would ask if they wanted to know, but the oncology team assumes patients will share if they are struggling," Wagner explains. "It's really a perfect storm that allows distress to go undetected and untreated."

This conundrum was just reaffirmed by research on more than 21,000 patients that found nearly 75 percent of depressed cancer patients were not receiving treatment for their mental health condition (The Lancet Psychiatry, 2014).

Next year, that trend will change in the United States thanks to a new mandate that requires cancer centers to implement a distress screening program to maintain accreditation from the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer. Ultimately, the new standard has the potential to help medical teams in the country's some 1,500 accredited facilities, where nearly 70 percent of all newly diagnosed cancer patients are treated.

"This is the first time that psychosocial care has been a required component of cancer care in this country," says Wagner, a member of the working group that reviewed the accreditation standards for cancer centers. "We can expect to see an increase in referrals for mental health services, and the standard will be a very powerful tool for leveraging resources for psychosocial providers."

Psychology and physiology

The urgency to mandate distress screenings in cancer centers ratcheted up when an increasing number of studies began revealing that mood disorders had the potential to affect disease outcomes.

One study, for example, showed that breast cancer patients who participated in weekly group interventions with a psychologist for one year reduced their risk of breast cancer recurrence by 45 percent (Cancer, 2008). In the groups, patients learned such skills as relaxation techniques, positive ways to cope with stress and strategies to maximize social support. In a follow-up study of the same patients whose cancer later recurred, researchers found that those who participated in the group therapy intervention had a 59 percent reduced risk of cancer death (Clinical Cancer Research, 2010).

"The psychosocial intervention had positive, long-lasting effects, reducing negative mood symptoms while at the same time improving the patient's immunity response," says lead researcher Barbara Andersen, PhD, of the Ohio State University. "It is important to realize that as the emotions change, the biology is likely changing as well. Conversely, biologic changes may impact emotions."

A similar study explored whether depression could influence cancer survival in women with metastatic breast cancer. Lead researcher Janine Giese-Davis, PhD, of the University of Calgary in Canada, found that women who became less depressed over time lived an average of 53 months, compared with 37 months for women who became more depressed over time (Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2011).

"It is normal to get depressed when [you are] diagnosed with cancer, but it is important not to stay there because chronic depression has the strength to impact your physiological symptoms," Giese-Davis says. "Our goal is to encourage people to get help if they are depressed."

The new distress screening mandate will help with this goal. It requires facilities to offer distress screening, referral or provision of care and follow-up for psychosocial distress, but providers can select their own screening tools, the timing of the screening and the criteria for referral for psychosocial services. Such general guidelines aim to give cancer care providers the flexibility to create programs that fit their institutions best.

At Siteman Cancer Center, for example, when patients score above a five on the Distress Thermometer, nurses or medical assistants alert the medical team to discuss psychosocial support options with the patient. After rating their distress level, patients also indicate any areas that have been a problem in the last week, such as dealing with children, physical pain or sadness.

At Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, clinicians screen all new cancer patients for their level of distress using the same "thermometer" and notify psychologist Leslie Cooper, PhD, when patients score four or higher. Cooper, who works in Psycho-Oncology Service at Walter Reed, then follows up with the patients to discuss the details of their answers. The screening recently identified a patient with brain cancer who was struggling with feelings of panic that reminded him of his war experience. Cooper helped him understand that his diagnosis did not necessarily mean he had a short time to live because treatments were available.

"The screening instrument has been very helpful because it allows us to help patients talk about their diagnosis and treatment," says Cooper. "It provides a vocabulary for thoughts, feelings and concerns that the patients and medical team can use to communicate as they discuss the treatment protocol and what to expect in terms of quality of life."

New opportunities for psychologists

While some hospitals have psychologists on staff to treat oncology patients, many cancer centers have social workers to meet patients' psychosocial needs, says Teresa Deshields, PhD, a psychologist at Siteman Cancer Center. She hopes the new standard will increase the demand for mental health services and spur cancer treatment centers to hire more psychologists to treat patients who are struggling with the emotional aspects of the disease.

"There's an important place for psychologists because social workers are often swamped dealing with practical things and have little time for counseling or therapy," she says. "There are a lot of psychological issues that need more than a practical fix."

For hospitals that do not have the resources to hire more psychologists, patients may be referred to mental health practitioners or community organizations that can offer help outside the hospital walls.

"This is an opportunity for mental health practitioners to be proactive and start contacting accredited hospitals about the valuable services they can provide," says Vicki Kennedy, an oncology social worker at the Cancer Support Community, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C.

She is one of many health-care providers who say they are excited about the screening tool's ability to advance cancer patient care. "People are not always going to admit that they are struggling, and the screening is an opportunity to improve the cancer experience."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Cancer patients with depression experience more physical symptoms, pain, and fatigue; have a poorer quality of life; and are more likely to encounter negative thoughts compared with cancer patients who are not depressed. Accurate assessment and treatment of depression can have a positive impact on improving a patient’s quality of life.

Pharmacotherapy for depression in patients with advanced cancer should be guided by a focus on symptom reduction, irrespective of whether the patient meets the diagnostic criteria for major depression. For effective treatment of a depressive illness, antidepressant medication and cognitive behavioral therapy need to be initiated sooner rather than later to reduce symptom burden and improve quality of life.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“But the story of leukemia--the story of cancer--isn't the story of doctors who struggle and survive, moving from institution to another. It is the story of patients who struggle and survive, moving from on embankment of illness to another. Resilience, inventiveness, and survivorship--qualities often ascribed to great physicians--are reflected qualities, emanating first from those who struggle with illness and only then mirrored by those who treat them. If the history of medicine is told through the stories of doctors, it is because their contributions stand in place of the more substantive heroism of their patients.”

― Siddhartha Mukherjee, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Interview with the author of The Big Ordeal:

To “beat” cancer, we need to ask for help and advocate for ourselves, so we get the care we need. We need to advocate for ourselves with medical professionals, and with our friends and families. Many of us find it especially difficult to talk to our doctors, but it’s important to remember that they may be the experts in cancer, but you are the only expert in you. You are the only one who know what it is like to be you, what it feels like in your body to receive the treatment you are getting, to live through the experience you are having...

If we accept that we are all flawed, that to be human is to suffer and struggle and do our best with what we have been dealt, then we can begin to talk about those struggles — be they financial or emotional or physical or whatever — and by talking, help each other cope. But when we believe we need to keep the pain hidden away, when we feel responsible for everything that is wrong with ourselves and our lives, it can be awfully hard to get the help we need to cope.

Just as our genetics and microbiomes and internal chemistry can determine how tall we are, how our bodies process food, how likely we are to develop heart disease, so too our emotional health is driven by things over which we have limited control. We are okay with taking statin to control cholesterol, insulin to manage diabetes, dopamine to support us through Parkinson’s; why are we shy to admit, for example, that we might need antidepressants or help managing anxiety? I would like to help change that so that cancer can be a better experience for all of us...

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Accepting the Diagnosis

As acceptance grows, some people find that in addition to the difficult emotions, there are positive feelings as well. They learn to appreciate life in a new way by focusing on comfort and on what brings joy and pleasure on a daily basis.

You may never accept your situation completely, and that’s OK. You have the right to live your life as you chose, right to the end. It may not be easy for others to accept this. If you all do your best to respect your differences, you can keep moving forward together.

Over time, you may also begin to find hope. Many people are surprised to find that hope in their cancer journey changes rather than ends. Hope for a cure may change to hope for peace and contentment, a moment of joy or simply a good day. Hope allows you to see that meaningful activities and achievements are still possible. It can carry you through hard times and help you keep a sense of dignity.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

How Well Are You Coping?​

Everyone has a different way of coping with the feelings that come with having cancer. These checklists can help you learn whether your coping methods are healthy and helpful. It may also reveal strengths you can build on and areas where you can improve.

Healthy ways of coping​

The statements below are linked to healthy coping. Which are true for you?
  • I try to learn more when problems come up or I get bad news.
  • I talk with others and share my concerns when I face a problem.
  • I try to see the humor when things get tough.
  • On some days, I just try not to think about my illness.
  • I keep busy to avoid always thinking about being sick.
  • If good information shows I need a change in treatment, I do it as soon as possible.
  • Cancer has made me think about my life and the people and activities I enjoy the most.
The more of the above methods you can use, the better you will be able to deal with the challenges of cancer.

The ACS Cancer Survivors Network is a way to share how you are coping, get support, and find “real world” answers to questions about cancer, treatment, and relationships.

Unhealthy ways of coping​

The list below includes common ways people deal with having cancer. But these are not the healthiest ways to cope. Sometimes these methods will drive people away from you just when you need them. If any of these statements are true for you more than rarely, it may be time to look for help with coping.
  • When I'm upset, alcohol helps me calm down.
  • I wish people would leave me alone.
  • No matter what I do, I can’t sleep.
  • I can’t help thinking I must have done something bad to deserve this.
  • Having cancer is bad enough. To make matters worse, no one knows how to take care of me.
  • I think cancer is my fate. What’s the point of fighting it?
If you have painful feelings such as anger, hopelessness, sadness, emptiness, or worry for more than 2 weeks, you should find ways to manage your distress. Anxiety or depression can also happen in people with cancer and can be managed by the right steps. Keep in mind that emotional problems can and should be treated, just like physical problems.

If you need support​

There are people who focus on helping people cope with their cancer. In addition, ACS support programs reach cancer survivors and patients throughout the United States. Practical advice is available to help people manage day-to-day and cope with physical and emotional changes.

For more information and support, call our National Cancer Information Center toll-free number, 1-800-227-2345. We’re here when you need us.

logo-fpo.png

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“Sometimes people get so swallowed up by the cancer care system, or they feel so hopeless, that they give up on life while they’re still relatively well physically. That’s what we’re trying to prevent.”

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.