More threads by texasgirl

I went to my psychiatrist today and he changed my meds again. Partly because he was concerned that I was slipping into psychosis again so he decided to give me a different antidepressant along with my antipsychotic medicine and other medicine. Yesterday I was on a conference call and I just started feeling really bad, sick, and a horrible headache so I went to my regular doctor. My blood pressure was 177/110. He did some bloodwork and I found out today that I have type 2 diabetes so he gave me medicine for that and blood pressure medicine. We talked a lot about the stress of my new job and travelling. I also talked with my psychiatrist too about it. I am just not sure that I can keep up with this anymore. I don't know how much is mental vs physical but I just can't keep up the pace. I feel like I am falling apart and that I just can't handle everything - it's really the volume of work and the pressures that the company is putting on me that are making it so difficult.

I don't know what to do.

TG

i am sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with diabetes. :hug:

is there any way you can take a leave of absence to take some time to recover? what did your doctor and your psychiatrist have to say about your situation?

They put me on medicine for the diabetes and instructed me on how to test my blood sugar. They didn't mention taking a leave but I talked to my husband and if I don't begin to improve I am going to. I will have no choice. However, I will need the doctors to recommend such a leave. I didn't mention it to them just talked about the medicines and what to do. I did tell my psych that I am thinking about suicide again even though I don't want to - it's just becoming ever present. I feel trapped, because of money, because so many people are depending on me, and because I feel really bad physically and mentally. I am tired.

thank you both for being so caring. I just feel really bad tonight. I especially feel bad because when I got the promotion, a lot of people quit their old jobs to come work for me. I feel like if I don't hold up I will be letting them down, letting my husband and kids down, and I just don't know what to do. I want to escape.

ThatLady

As a newly diagnosed diabetic, you've got a lot to learn, Texas. With the proper diet, exercise, and medication for the diabetes, you may find that quite a few of your symptoms will lessen. Diabetes causes a lot of problems, and some of them manifest in a similar manner to mental illness. With one condition on top of the other, it's not surprising you've been feeling badly.

Is there a chance you could get some of the travelling reduced for a bit if you explained that you've just found out you're diabetic and need some time to get your diet in order?

Halo

Sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis TG and that you are feeling low as well. I do think that maybe cutting back on the travelling or if need be a leave of absence would be a huge benefit for you at this time. It is not to say that you won't be back to work with the people that left and came to work for you but just that you need some time to take care of yourself physically and mentally and will return when you are feeling better.

Just my thoughts.

Take care :heart:
:hug:

I am definitely going to try to cut back on the travelling. I am going to talk to my boss on Monday. I just figured out how to use the glucose monitor last night (step one I guess!). Also am going to go online to see about the correct diet which I think is low carb. I think yall are right. At the end of the day, if I don't take care of myself right now then I won't be able to do the job at all. Thank you from the bottom of my :heart: for your support. This has just been a lot to absorb.

TG

i am glad to hear you've made this decision, i think it's in your best interest and in the long run it's also in your employer's best interest as well. :)

fyi, I told my boss that I will be working from home all week and that I was not feeling well. I actually feel awful physically. It is taking me a while to get this sugar thing under control - it's all over the board. It's a whole new world. I went to the store tonight and had to completely rethink how to eat and not eat. I know lots of people have this but I didn't realize just how bad it makes you feel. Just have to vent - sorry for feeling so sorry for myself but it seems like it's one thing after another. Does anybody know whether diabetes is affected by stress?

TG

Halo

TG

I am so glad to hear that you are taking the week off from travelling and working from home. I think that it will really do your body and mind good to have such a rest.

Good luck with the med change, I hope it works well for you.

Take care :heart:

ThatLady

Glucose levels are most definitely impacted by stress, Texas. Especially in the early stages, when you're still learning how to keep your levels within acceptable limits, stress can make it more difficult to do so. It's good you've taken this time to get a handle on your new situation and all that is a part of it. Just the diet portion is difficult enough; however, once you get that under control you can work on things like stress, exercise and some of the other factors that contribute to making diabetes manageable. :hug:

Thanks yall so much. I read the article on stress and diabetes, and it really hit home. I am working on the eating piece and beginning a walking regimen which should begin to help. But I really have to do some soul searching regarding the level of stress associated with a high level job. Either I need to figure ways to not let it get to me (not likely) or find something that is simply less stressful. Then dealing with the depression is another issue. I have to figure out what to do but I really appreciate your help.

TG

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.