More threads by Lilhelp

Lilhelp

That's a diagnosis they gave my child. After what seemed like a bajillion tests on her heart and all this blood pressure stuff they gave the diagnosis as Vaso Vegal Syncope. It basically means "fainting" due to low blood pressure.

Without a doubt my child suffers from anxiety and I have had her to therapy. The Medical Doctors more or less said this can't be anxiety related. The therapist brushed it off.

Personally as a parent and knowing what's going on in her life I truly think it's a coping mechanism for her anxiety. She does not ever cry. We all were taught in my family not to cry. You don't show your weakness.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this. Thank you in advance.

sunset

I have never heard of it before... I am sorry your child is experiencing this. How old is your daughter if I may ask?

Retired

Click Here for a complete discussion of VasoVegal Syncope, Mayo Clinic

The medical terminology is more intimidating than the actual condition.

Syncope (commonly referred to as fainting) is a loss of consciousness that occurs when you experience a significant reduction of blood flow to your brain. Fainting is often caused by a significant drop in blood pressure or from a very slow heart rate. The result is a sudden reduction of blood flow to your brain, causing you to lose consciousness.

The most common cause of fainting is due to vasovagal syncope. Vasovagal syncope is triggered by a stimulus that results in an exaggerated and inappropriate response in the part of your nervous system that regulates involuntary body functions, including heart rate and blood flow (autonomic nervous system). When some sort of stimulus triggers this exaggerated response, both your heart rate and blood pressure drop, quickly reducing blood flow to your brain and leading to loss of consciousness. A person who has fainted due to vasovagal syncope recovers quickly, usually within seconds or a few minutes.

Common triggers of vasovagal syncope include standing for long periods, dehydration, the sight of blood, coughing, urination, having a bowel movement and emotional distress. But in some cases, the cause of vasovagal syncope can't be determined.

Fainting is common, and treatment is unnecessary in most cases. However, sometimes fainting can indicate an underlying disease for which you'll need treatment.

For a continuation of the description, use the link above to Mayo Clinic.

Attachments

• v_v_s.jpg
    v_v_s.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0

Lilhelp

Thank you, Steve.

I see Mayo Clinic added in emotional distress. The good Doctor's I had her to told me there was no connection at all to stress and being a mom and living with my child daily I disagreed.

The first time it happened was in school when they show the teens those drinking and driving accidents. Pretty graphic. There were police officers there for that assembly and they called paramedics because her pressure dropped so low she was in shock.

Ditto for the second time as it was an assembly on drugs and they showed overdoses. Oh and yes I had sent a letter in to the teacher and Nurse that it'd be better she don't go into those assemblies. Hey, she's a teenager so if I said no she'll say yeah.

The last one and knock on wood that was about a year and a half ago I was present for. I can tell you it was the most horrifying thing I have ever seen in my life. She was all excited as her beau was coming to visit from an out of state college. She ran down the stairs and tripped. She hit her cocyx bone and said "OUCH". She had only hit one step and I know that does hurt, but I never expected "Mom I'm going. I'm going out".

Thank God I was there and grabbed her and she was dead weight. Next thing I know she was an awful color. Her lips were white like ya see in a horror movie and she was talking nonsense. I went to lay her down and my mom said no! Call 911. They got here quick and her BP was dangerously low. They ran some IV thing and took us in the ambulance.

Here she told the ER Doctor it's "THE THOUGHT". Another words when she hit her spine she "thought" she could have paralyzed herself. I had been in a very bad car accident. She saw that film and "thought" my mom could have died that quickly. So, I guess it's a coping mechanism?

Thanks for listening though and for more information on that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.