More threads by Budoaiki

I watch the news frequently and I couldn't help but notice the recent events regarding senate spending scandals involving Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin among others.

A dishonest politician is no real surprise wherever there is power there will be those seeking to exploit it but the two senators I mentioned were previously journalists. People whose profession it was to inform the public of such problems by exposing the facts. One of many reasons for this is to insure our politicians remain accountable to the public for their actions while doing their jobs.

There are good politicians and bad in all levels of government and I believe that at least 90% of them go into it with good intentions and respect the positions they seek. I also believe that through the course of doing their jobs they see misuse of funds and various other nefarious activities which may not be actively malicious but are still deceitful. Seeing this those who stand on loose moral ground tend lose their footing so to speak or perhaps in their frustration and fear for losing their jobs adapt through the "if you can't beat em might as well join em".

So I wonder if people who had once worked to keep our politicians honest behave in such a manner if the facts do in fact prove the allegations to be true then how bad is it really?

Most politicians have substantial financial holdings in stocks, other employment and previous careers in various economic sectors which causes them to be both proficient in and focused on those areas. So there is ample opportunity for them to help those industries while serving the public and the potential for them to profit from it as well depending on their position/job. With that said still there are those who seek to use public funds for their own benefit personal use and or gain.

I think that our political system is in drastic need of some sort of overhaul the question is how?
Not sure on that but I do know the political structure has systemic problems that must be addressed. There are plenty of governments with widespread corruption where there is no accountability with dictatorships ect and generally our government serves it's purpose with relative efficiency.

I think that politicians on all levels need to be subject to periodic reviews by having their financial activities while in office on record subject to review.

I also think that if we are to have a senate they should selected from judges with long careers and with a good record by heir peers and then elected from that pool by the public.

Now I'll step down from my soap box, breath a sigh and ask you who choose to read this to express your thoughts on the subject.

---------- Post Merged at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Sorry was multi-tasking when I wrote this, it's Canadian politics.

Sorry but i do not believe anyone in power or in politics is not corrupt They do not think of the little people at all they think only of is money and power that is it

How would we hold them accountable really even the ones that have been found guilty still get their annual payments after they are discharged

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.