More threads by GDPR

GDPR

GDPR
Do you believe that everything happens for a reason,or sh*t happens?

I woke up asking myself this question this morning. It's something that my therapist asked me when I first started seeing him.

At the time,I said that I believe sh*t just happens,but now I'm not really sure what I believe. I want to believe that things happen for a reason,because that would mean there's a purpose to life. But,wouldn't that also mean that our lives are pre-determined and we are destined to follow some unknown path?

This isn't about religion. This is about trying to find meaning and purpose in my life. Not 'in' my life,but rather meaning 'for' my life.

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:37 AM ----------

The only reason I exist at all is because of rape/incest.

My husband has said that he's glad it happened,because I was the result. Am I supposed to be grateful?

Would I exist at all if it hadn't happened? Am I supposed to believe this happened for a reason?

LIT,

I think we all struggle with that question at least once in our lives. There are things that happen through trigger affects like in chaos theory; a butterfly flaps it's wings and half a world away a tsunami rises or you smile at someone who in turn holds the door for someone who was on the verge of dropping a fragile gift.

After reading and encountering many different philosophies throughout the course of my life I have come to believe there are unavoidable things that happen through cause and effect which affect us like the weather for instance.

Say you have to go to the store but it suddenly starts to rain with a torrential downpour but you need milk so you put on a raincoat and go knowing you'll still get wet but knowing you will enjoy the warmth of your coffee that much more when you come home and dry off you go anyway.

What I am trying to say is that there are things we can't avoid, predict or prevent that can affect us for better or worse.

I think the complexity of such questions can sometimes cause us to overlook the answer because we feel the answer would be equally if not more complex. Something which I found to be the case for me in answering this myself when I first tried.

What I think is that we find purpose in the things that happen not from why they happen but from what we learn from them.

Or like the other question I've struggled with what's the meaning of life?

My answer; To live.

GDPR

GDPR
What I think is that we find purpose in the things that happen not from why they happen but from what we learn from them.

Thanks.

Sometimes I get stuck on the reasons for my existence. Maybe it doesn't really matter how I got here,because knowing how and why doesn't change the fact that I am.

Sometimes I get stuck on whether everything happens for a reason or if it's all just random. I start thinking if everything does happen for a reason,then it doesn't really matter what I want or try to,if it's all pre-determined.

I was beginning to think maybe the reason I struggle so much is because that's my destiny.

making_art

At times I have thought that my previous life must have been very privileged with no hardships at all so now it's time to learn other aspects of life. Or, that I have cycled through all other life forms from being a leaf to a worm and now....a human.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I also believe that it's the lessons from lifes hardships that gives us purpose. If nothing else I hope that my lessons have taught me resilience - I'm still here - and compassion for others.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.