More threads by amastie

amastie

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question.

I remember long ago talking to someone whose wisdom I respected and he talked about self-realization. I remember thinking that I was very far from ever achieving that.

Recently, I had the insight, calm and comforting, that for me, self-realization is the recognition that what I am and what I am not is ok. That the answers I struggled to find throughout my life do not need to be answered, that the questions form part of who I am and that is ok. I feel glad to see myself as complete human being unhindered at all by having still questions left unanswered about where I am going or what constitutes the end of the rainbow for me. Somehow, it is in rising above concern for my immediate experience, and looking to a meaningfulness to to totality of my experience that seems, somehow, to bring me peace of a kind that I think I can call self-realization. Don't know however if that fits a textbook description of that :)

I don't know that others would agree with my take on it, and I don't believe that matters either. It's a place where I am one with myself despite all the fragments that would *seem* to make me not whole. Nothing can make me not whole.

I wonder if others have given this some thought also.

amastie

Trust

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question.

I remember long ago talking to someone whose wisdom I respected and he talked about self-realization. I remember thinking that I was very far from ever achieving that.

Recently, I had the insight, calm and comforting, that for me, self-realization is the recognition that what I am and what I am not is ok. That the answers I struggled to find throughout my life do not need to be answered, that the questions form part of who I am and that is ok. I feel glad to see myself as complete human being unhindered at all by having still questions left unanswered about where I am going or what constitutes the end of the rainbow for me.

Somehow, it is in rising above concern for my immediate experience, and looking to a meaningfulness to the totality of my experience
that seems, somehow, to bring me peace of a kind that I think I can call self-realization. Don't know however if that fits a textbook description of that :)

I don't know that others would agree with my take on it, and I don't believe that matters either. It's a place where I am one with myself despite all the fragments that would *seem* to make me not whole. Nothing can make me not whole.
I wonder if others have given this some thought also.

amastie

Thank you :thankyou2: for posting your experience of self-realization, Amastie!:2thumbs: my bold in your post above!

I very much relate to your experience and I believe that once we come to terms with ourselves, acknowledging, accepting and appreciating all aspects of our interior lives, we can then make improvements where needed and truly enjoy the journey!

For curious souls, there will always be questions, and answers are not always what we expect, nor are they always even recognized as answers because we sometimes overlook the answers staring right at us when we would rather have a different answer - a better or kinder answer - and yes, I believe you are right - sometimes there is no immediate or even ultimate answer, and that is okay too because those instances allow us the opportunity to accept the things we cannot change and instead work on changing our reactions and responses to the situation. Did any of that make sense?:D

Self-realization is highly important, as is others-realization in terms of acknowledging, accepting and appreciating others and remaining open to both ourselves and others to make the journey more meaningful! Life is full of experiences and chances to keep making these experiences more fulfilling by taking the time to reflect inward and by reaching outward to share ourselves and the truth of our experience with others, and they in turn with us.

We humans are complex and context is so important when analysing ourselves and others to arrive at genuine understanding. You are so right, IMO, our identity is constantly in motion, evolving, and sometimes regressing and then progressing again. Our foundation of self, even if originally built on sand, can be fortified and made stronger and more resilient as we create our own picture of a beautiful self. We can add to the base and modify our interiors to discover the safety and comfort of living honestly and contentedly in our own bodies and minds and souls. We are each a work in progress and we each have the potential to create a masterpiece. Of course that does not mean perfection - a concept I reject - but the knowledge that beauty is evident in everything and every person if only we choose to see it.

Ourselves and our personal experiences should be looked at in the context of one's total experience. Simply put, self-realization (as I and you understand it) is possible and it does bring calm comfort to one's soul. And the questioning soul is guaranteed to be an interesting and colourful one, IMO!

Thanks again for sharing your valuable insights, Amastie!:2thumbs:

Have a happy day!:D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.