More threads by Cat Dancer

What is wrong with someone who puts their trust in another person only to have that trust broken over and over and over again?

Why would someone do that? Is it stupidity? Insanity? I don't understand it. Why do the same thing over again hoping for a different outcome?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some times it's about hoping that person has finally learned the importance of living up to your trust. Sometimes it's about that fact that some people are just very good at manipulating others into believing they are deserving of trust.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And, of course, manipulations would have more effect on someone with low self-esteem, e.g.:

Women in abusive relationships have developed at some point in time learned helplessness. These women have low self-esteem and blame themselves when things go wrong, therefore, they feel they deserve the physical and mental abuse (similar to the young children who felt they deserved the negative criticism they received because of being "bad").

Learned Helplessness - Sanctuary for the Abused
I assume what narcissistic manipulators want in a romantic relationship is a docile "employee" more than a partner.

IDii

Is it possible for the trust-breaking party to believe, themselves, that they're worth trusting? Despite the efforts or hopes of such a trust-breaker, is it necessary at some point to leave them?

Edit: And would the possibility of them being a manipulator contribute to that necessity?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Is it possible for the trust-breaking party to believe, themselves, that they're worth trusting?
They usually do.

Despite the efforts or hopes of such a trust-breaker, is it necessary at some point to leave them?
Most relationships end sooner than later, so the answer is usually yes even if there is not an issue with trust. But, for example, marriages in which there has been an affair can be saved.

Regarding manipulation, one example:

They have thrown so many sad tales at us and guilt trips and have basically made us feel responsible for their bad behavior that we are afraid to do what we know is best for us.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/personal...-of-a-manipulative-person-or-personality.html

Yuray

......to directly answer you direct question.......its called 'hope', and nothing will destroy it faster than urealistic expectations being unfulfilled

unionmary

What is wrong with someone who puts their trust in another person only to have that trust broken over and over and over again?

Why would someone do that? Is it stupidity? Insanity? I don't understand it. Why do the same thing over again hoping for a different outcome?

How many times did Liz Taylor marry? lol

Sometimes I ask myself what would I tell my girlfriend if she came to me with the same issues. Helps developing a clearer perspective for me....

TG :friends:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.