More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tammy
Melissa McCarthy and Susan Sarandon comedy. Some salty language but funny and poignant.

Jersey Boys
A Clint Eastwood production but he isn't in the movie. A quasi-documentary about the 50s and 60s group Franki Valli and the Four Seasons. Well done docudrama.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Re: Movies I watched recently

Kill the Messenger - exciting biographical drama, Gary Webb / CIA / Contra thing. Jeremy Renner was great.

Nightcrawler, incredibly performed by Jake Gyllenhaal. Very dark though.

Guardians of the Galaxy - fantastic. I don't wanna say 'the new Star Wars'... maybe more like if Star Wars shared a house with Joss Whedon and a bunch of Disney or Pixar characters. Maybe more fun / zany ingredients rather than quite so much of that 'epic / operatic ' feel of Star Wars. Great characters and themes though.

heatherly

"The Hundred Foot Journey" about two different people owning restaurants across the street from each other. Takes place i India. Very good and funny. Even "Chef" was good and funny.

And if you like westerns, well, I don't, but we just rented "Shoot First and Pray You Live." It was actually a very good creative, as in, artsy, movie.

making_art

Went to the big screen to see the latest - Night at the Museum. Very entertaining. So sad to see Robin Williams in his last role before his death. :sob2:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Who Are You?
Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakos or whatever his name is plus Amy Poehler. Expected a light comedy but it is more than that and more interesting than that. An offbeat movie but worth watching. Zach G coming to terms with his bipolar disorder and his lifelong friend Owen Wilson having some difficulty accepting the new tamer version of his friend while struggling with his own life goal issues.

PrincessX

Account Closed

I also like "Kill the Messenger" and I thought "Guardians of the Galaxy" is the new big hit. It is a family movie and the underage population loves it.
I watched "The incredible Burt Wonderstone" yesterday and had a lot of fun with it, it is a comedy. Another favourite comedy is "At Middleton", it is really nice movie. I watched it during a 12 hrs flight and really loved it.

---------- Post Merged at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:22 PM ----------

On the same flight I also watched "Anna" - a nice thriller/drama. Highly recommended.

B

br350

I saw Unbroken and The Imitation Game (currently in theaters). Both are based on true stories and are set during World War II. Unbroken was an amazing story of the strength of the human spirit. The fact that the story is true and that there is even MORE to it than was included in the movie is mind blowing. Puts life's troubles into perspective very quickly.

Imitation Game astounded me. I had no idea about the German Enigma coding system during World War II. For various reasons (don't want to detail with spoilers), this movie left me speechless, heart broken and astounded at the true history behind the winning of World War II. I walked out of the theatre with many strong emotions.

I also saw Fury with Brad Pitt. Another World War II based movie and, I believe, based on real events. It was a powerful and raw story, and I highly recommend it - all of these movies were well done and worth taking in.

Last edited:

Retired

Last night we watched Quartet on Netflix, a Dustin Hoffman movie (producer / director) starring Maggie Smith. It's a deliciously funny story about a retirement home for professional musicians with an underlying contentious love story.

Most of the supporting cast were retired professional musicians who perform throughout the movie within the context of the story.

It's an enjoyable lightweight feelgood movie.

Retired

For a fun movie with some serious undertones related to social justice in Australia with aboriginal people in the sixties The Sapphires. Surprise ending, cool music (Soul) about a group that were Australia's answer to the Supremes. Be sure to stick around for the closing credits.

BTW read the IMDB goofs before watching the movie for some fun anachronisms!

Steve

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP

Singin in the Rain. Woo!!!

So many classics I've never watched! Gotta break out Google Play Movies and find em.

Retired

What did you like about Red Dawn and was it running on a TV station or on a streaming service?

rurouni

Hi Steve. I watched it on shomi, a Canadian streaming service. I like war, dystopian, and underdog stories. Red Dawn has it all.

GDPR

GDPR

Watched Me,Myself & Irene last night.It's been so long since I have seen it I forgot how funny it is.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP

Only saw part of it, but channelsurfing came across Spitfire starring Katharine Hepburn. Really interesting and of course her performances are great. Will have to track it down and watch it properly....

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP

I'm on vacation time and have watched four movies which is really unusual for me. I don't think I watched four movies over the past year:). Watched - Spotlight, Room, Corner Gas - The Movie and A Few Good Men. I'm likely good for the next year :lol:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.