More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What to Do When Bipolar Disorder is Really, Really Hard
By Julie A. Fast, bpHope
December 13, 2017

If I buy in to the idea that this illness is easy to treat and that one day I?m going to magically be better, I will be upset every time I get sick.

I?ve had mood swings while sleeping. I can tell that my eyes are closed and that I?m dreaming, but the symptoms of the day are still present even though my brain has supposedly gone into a different state. I?ve experienced panic attacks during a nap and have been so suicidal I?ve rolled in a ball promising the people around me that I would NOT kill myself. This is my bipolar reality. I want to be honest about what I experience so that you will not have to feel alone if it happens to you as well.

We have a mental illness. This is our reality. It doesn?t matter what we call it. It doesn?t even matter if we deny we have it. The reality is our mood swings are there for all to see. I often experience depression, anxiety, mania and psychosis in the same day. I hide as much as I can and I know what to do for help, but reality is reality. My brain is not my friend.

You are not alone if you haven?t found a magic pill that takes away the mood swings. You are not alone if you struggle in school and work. You are not alone if this illness profoundly affects your relationships. You can?t put lipstick on a piggy wiggy and you can?t perfume dog poop. Sorry to be so crude. But bipolar is bipolar no matter how much we try to talk about it hopefully. Despite all of this, I am still an incredibly positive person and I am hoping you an also find a way to love life, despite the pain caused by this illness.

Why am I being so honest? It is how I survive. If I buy in to the idea that this illness is easy to treat and that one day I?m going to magically be better, I will be upset every time I get sick. I?m a realist and it helps me move forward in life despite my mood swings.

When you look in the mirror and say to yourself, well gosh darn it, I?ve got a genetic mental health disorders that affect my ability to manage my moods, it clears the brain for getting help.

Denial, refusing to accept my limitations, thinking I will wake up one day and my brain will have righted itself and listening to people who say that mental illness is a sham or shameful take up valuable time and brain space that I need for my management plan.

I need strategies in place for staying alive when the suicide shows up simply because someone writes something rotten about one of my blogs. I need the space to put something in my brain that is going to help, from medications if needed to meditative time alone and supportive friends. This can also include exercise and having fun. Managing this illness has to be my job or I will not be able to reach any of my goals.

People often ask if the illness gets worse as you get older. There is no evidence for this that I know of, but I can tell you from my experience that it gets harder to manage as your body changes and life gets more crowded. When you?re 20 and don?t have as many worries, the illness may be the same, but it will affect your life incredibly differently than when you are 40 and have kids and a mortgage.

My attitude is one of realistic positivity.

If I know what I?m up against, I can be ready for the mood swings when they inevitably appear. I?m going on year 22 of my diagnosis and year 37 since my first bipolar symptoms. I am ready for this illness. I have to remain fascinated with my own brain. I have to remain vigilant and kind to myself when I get sick. This is illness. It?s not emotional instability. It?s not a personal choice and it?s not something created by my childhood. It?s genetic, it?s strong and I have to be ready for what it throws at me, even if I?m sleeping. I am up to the task and I know you can be as well. When my bipolar disorder gets really bad and I feel I am too sick to function, I know that I am going to be ok. It?s an illness.

I am strong and you are, too.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.