More threads by Cat Dancer

That is interesting. So it could be a number of reasons. It just seems like so many people have this disorder. It scares me to think that something bigger could be going on like some kind of conspiracy or something. Maybe I'm being paranoid?

The people who have this order they must have been diagnosed to have had it. Their doctors must have labelled them with it I think trauma can cause people to do alot of things not intentionally but they are reaching out for help yes.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The people who have this order they must have been diagnosed to have had it. Their doctors must have labelled them with it I think trauma can cause people to do alot of things not intentionally but they are reaching out for help yes.

Actually, I think most of the people who claim to have this disorder are self-diagnosed, but it is true that others are diagnosed by incompetent practitioners who just get overly excited by the diagnosis.

As I have said before, the reality is that this disorder is rare and requires a very specific set of developmental circumstances which most of those claiming the diagnosis just do not have.

Yet there are people with this disorder that have been diagnosed by a competent psychiatrist and for us to sit and judge that is not right
I feel for all of them the ones you say that have been misdiagnosed but more for the ones that have been properly diagnosed but are seen to be neglected because of the judgement of others who do not believe them
This DID it does exist and it is so very damaging to that person and their families
I remember someone had just came back from war and they snapped and held their family hostage thinking they were the enemies that person went back to a time of great pain and fear and he could not distinquish reality anymore It happens more then you believe this disorder with wars and other tragedies happening i do believe there is more that do suffer from it but chose not to get the help because they will be judged.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personalities)

Certainly dissociation as a symptom exists and is not uncommon in PSTD but that is not DID.

I just can't understand why someone would make up abuse that didn't happen.

Aren't there different mental disorders that could cause similar symptoms, like BPD or Bipolar Disorder?

I know what DID is i know With regards to why someone who would make up abuse that person is craving attention something that pehaps they have not had in their life.

I think they are ill themselves something is wrong when someone intentionally makes up abuse story when they did not happen. It is so sad that this person has to stoop to something like that to get the attention they are craving.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
A pattern of very extreme and continuous traumatic abuse over an extended period of time during critical periods of childhood, well beyond the "usual" childhood abuse that most clinicians are likely to see over an entire career.

GDPR

GDPR
Asking because my therapist has told me he has been practicing for 30 years and my 'story' is the worst he has heard.

I don't understand what you mean by 'usual' childhood abuse. What does 'usual' mean?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not making specific demarcations and I'm not sure how I would do that exactly but something on the order of a child being buried alive and starved as well as physically and sexually abused over a period of time. The book A Child Called It comes to mind...

Note that Dissociative Identity Disorder is quite different from Dissociative Disorder, the former being quite rare and still controversial in terms of whether it actually exists as we understand it. The classic stories of DID are The Three Faces of Eve and Sybil. Interestingly, recently there have been suggestions that the woman described in Sybil in fact perpetrated a hoax, possibly with some assistance.

GDPR

GDPR
I'm assuming,from what I am reading into posts you have made on the subject, that you probably don't believe DID actually exists. Am I correct?

I have been reading alot about it lately,because I do know someone with it, and she isn't in therapy for it, never plans to either. She doesn't want fame or fortune,as a matter of fact, she doesn't want anyone to know about it at all. She struggles in silence because she doesn't want anyone to know, especially not a psychiatrist or psychologist,she is too ashamed to be diagnosed with it because of Sybil, The Three Faces Of Eve, etc.

I personally believe it does exist. But I also believe there are alot of people that just want tot make a buck or get attention. There are so many sites on the internet, and so many people that claim they have it,and they act like it's such an awesome thing to have. I don't believe that many people can have it, I do believe it's rare. And I especially don't believe that the people I have seen on talk shows that switch on command are true cases of it either.

And I don't really understand why it has been changed from multiple personality disorder to dissociative identity disorder because they sound like the exact same thing, just different names.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, I suspect DID is real but very (extremely) rare, and like you I believe there is an odd "glamor" to claiming that diagnosis on the internet - which is ironic because I have little doubt that someone who genuinely has that disorder would not see anything at all glamorous about it.

As for the change in diagnostic terminology, I believe it was to more clearly describe how the multiples form, i.e., by splitting a part of the personality/consciousness off from what was happening, a defense against intolerable trauma, and to link it to the dimension or spectrum of other dissociative disorders.

NeedaName

I've never seen anyone claim to have DID. Seems like such an odd thing to want to claim. How would they ever be taken seriously again?

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I think this disorder is clearly identified once you come across it once or familiarize with the symptoms.

It's not that easy to hide particulary when active, my dad has this amongst other diagnosis.

If someone was to claim to have this and not it is odd, as this is not a nice thing to be stuck with many people do lead fairly normal lives (thanks to good meds and doctors) but I know of many who are constantly struggling in one way or another with this disorder.

What I am trying to say is it is not that easy a disorder to fake.

My dad used a lot of drugs and that pretty much was the root cause of his disorder however it was reported in childhood he was difficult behavior wise with violent out bursts and a severe lack of empathy.

There can be underlying factors that lead people to be more disposed to this disorder or things that happen to them or choices they make in their life can certainly hurry this disorder along to fruition.

I really do feel for anyone battling this disorder you are literally constantly fighting your own mind and impulses.

GDPR

GDPR
Re: Why would someone "fake" having DID?

WOOBY,

How can you possibly know 'many' that are struggling with this disorder when it's so rare? Also, drugs are not what caused it in your dad,if he has it,because it can only develop during childhood.

---------- Post Merged at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:45 AM ----------

Sorry if my above post sounded rude WOOBY.

Has your dad been diagnosed with DID by a psychiatrist? If so, I think it might be helpful for you to do a little research on the subject,so that you understand exactly what it is and what causes it.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Re: Why would someone "fake" having DID?

My dad actually was incarcerated in an asylum twice for long periods of time and yes was diagnosed with this amongst other things.

My ex partner has also been diagnosed with it and I also over the years have befriended people who have this diagnosis and since starting my studies and voluntary work have met more people.

I know first hand about this condition very well.

---------- Post Merged at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:42 AM ----------

My dad had a terrible childhood, who then used drugs to try and cope with everything and as well as bringing this condition to the fore which it can do or exacerbate a lot of the symptoms it also made him (very) violent and abusive as he basically disappeared into an alternate reality.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.