More threads by Into The Light

Women, Abuse and Trauma Therapy
CAMH
Apr 09, 2009

This guide is for women who are in therapy, or who are looking for a therapist, to help them deal with the long-term effects of prolonged or repeated experiences of abuse and violence. It is also for family members and friends who want to understand and support a woman who is going through trauma therapy. Therapists may also find it useful as a resource to give to clients or to use themselves.

For many women, choosing to go into therapy to deal with a past traumatic event or a series of traumatic events is a huge step. It can take a lot of time, money and emotional energy. While a lot of trauma information is available to professionals, there is not much general information that women can use to help them understand their trauma responses and to get the most out of their trauma therapy.

This guide gives information about the therapeutic process and what to expect from one-on-one trauma therapy. Even though the focus of this guide is on individual counselling rather than group therapy, most of the material is also applicable to trauma carried out in the context of a group.

This information helps women feel more confident about seeking help. It helps women gain control over the healing process so they can:

• know what to expect from therapy
  • choose the best therapy and therapist for themselves.
If you do not know whether trauma therapy is right for you, see A Trauma Model for Therapy, or read the CAMH brochure Women: What Do These Signs Have in Common?.

This guide will also help you:

• understand psychological trauma, post-traumatic stress and common responses to trauma
  • learn about different types of therapy for abuse-related trauma
  • learn what a trauma approach to therapy is and what to expect from trauma therapy
  • understand the client/therapist relationship and how to assess your therapist
  • know what to expect from trauma therapy at different stages of therapy
  • know if the therapy is working
  • get support from family and friends.
Site Contents
  1. Understanding Psychological Trauma
  2. A Trauma Model for Therapy
  3. The Therapeutic Relationship
  4. Choosing a Therapist
  5. Stages of Trauma Therapy
  6. Treatment Approaches
  7. How to Assess Your Therapist
  8. How Do I know If My Therapy Is Helping?
  9. Family and Friends
  10. Getting Access to Services
  11. The Strength of Survivors
  12. Suggested Reading

Re: Women, Abuse and Trauma Therapy

This was very helpful, ITL. Especially since I have a new therapist and I am still very wary of going. He tapes our sessions and that scares me. He says that it will help him in getting to understand me better.

Thank you for posting this:support:.

TG

i just wanted to add that i think this guide isn't for women only. there are men who get abused as well or have been through abuse as a child, and everything written in that guide would apply to them as well.

it is unfortunate that because it's mostly women who go through this that all the literature is geared toward them. i think it adds to the isolation an abused man may be going through.

if you are a man and you've been through this kind of horrific experience please do not let this deter you from seeking help. you deserve it just as much as women.

y-bloc

Hey, thanks for the post. It is a subject that I was just giving some thought to, and it has turned out to be a great help.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.