More threads by GaryQ

GaryQ

MVP
figured this might be a fun thing. Let’s see if it gets any momentum.

You know your old when...

You not only know what this is but actually used one for years!

B2CD77DB-DEA8-4815-851F-9DAD4E958856.jpeg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I remember as a child in the 1980s my mother having us lick these shopper reward stamps for placement in a savings book, "which could be redeemed for products in the catalog":

SH Green Stamps - Wikipedia

IMG_20160316_170757_1024x1024.jpg

My parents would get the stamps mostly from Publix, a still-popular grocery store in Florida and other states.

GaryQ

MVP
I remember the days before cable TV when TV had 12 channels and about 10 of which brought in nothing. The other 2 mostly snow. And I being the youngest was the remote control for many years “Gary, go change the channel”

I won't be able to compete with some of these but I did have an old dial channel-changing TV. The worst was when I broke both of my arms as a kid and was staying home from school and could watch TV but was too weak with my injured arms to change the channel. At some point during Days of Our Lives I tried to make a lever out of pens to get the dial to move.

GaryQ

MVP
Oh my I’m still laughing at that one gooblax. I got tears in my eyes for real.
My thread, so off topic permitted for an explantation as to how did you manage to break both arms?

This one I’m really curious to find out. :coffee:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My first guess: magpies.

Second guess: Australian military recruits at an early age.

Third guess: Childhood acting without a stunt double.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I remember the days before cable TV when TV had 12 channels and about 10 of which brought in nothing. The other 2 mostly snow. And I being the youngest was the remote control for many years “Gary, go change the channel”

I remember the days before TV. :D

OK I'm not really THAT old but for most of my first 10 years we lived in small communities in northern British Columbia, up in the mountains, especially Kemano which was in a valley called Kildala Pass (only way in or out was by helicopter or seaplane, or in the summer jeep over the mountains if you were adventurous). TV did exist, but not for us. No way to get reception up in the mountains. Even radio was sketchy - maybe once a week if the weather was just right.

Our first TV was in Montreal. I think it was 3 channels: one English, one French, and one that just showed an Indian head all day. Broadcasts ended right after the news about 11.30. After a few years, we did get a "remote control". It was like a small keyboard with buttons and a long cord stretched across the floor and plugged into the TV. Quite amazing technology if you didn't mind tripping.

My thread, so off topic permitted for an explantation as to how did you manage to break both arms?
My first guess: magpies.

Second guess: Australian military recruits at an early age.

Third guess: Childhood acting without a stunt double.
Pretty close on the 3rd guess ;)
I used to set random dares/challenges for myself. Usually they were fairly benign like "have to get 3 baskets in a row before I can stop playing" or similar. But one afternoon I dared myself to jump off a high swing. I landed badly on the hard ground and Bob's your uncle. I told my parents that I slipped rather than owning up to it being a result of something intentional. :facepalm:

GaryQ

MVP
Pretty close on the 3rd guess ;)
I used to set random dares/challenges for myself. Usually they were fairly benign like "have to get 3 baskets in a row before I can stop playing" or similar. But one afternoon I dared myself to jump off a high swing. I landed badly on the hard ground and Bob's your uncle. I told my parents that I slipped rather than owning up to it being a result of something intentional. :facepalm:

and these are the days of her life. I had a feeling it was probably something self inflicted. Except i was thinking it might have involved a bicycle. I’d like to have an uncle Bob like the one in Terminator 2. :)

GaryQ

MVP
You know you’re really old when...

“Depends” is no longer just an answer to a question but also a solution to a problem :D

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Like many other moms, my mom had Tupperware parties:

Tupperware-Home-Party001.jpg

(And people still have Tupperware parties! But they are obviously not popular anymore.)

GaryQ

MVP
My mom also had Tupperware parties when I was a kid. But she has more Tupperware than parties :rolleyes:

When the kids were growing up we used margarine containers for everything especially for freezing spaghetti sauce etc. After all they were free and you didn’t feel like you were throwing money out when one had outlived its usefulness.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.