More threads by white page

Self-help 'makes you feel worse'
BBC NEWS
Friday, 3 July 2009

Bridget Jones is not alone in turning to self-help mantras to boost her spirits, but a study warns they may have the opposite effect.

Canadian researchers found those with low self-esteem actually felt worse after repeating positive statements about themselves. They said phrases such as "I am a lovable person" only helped people with high self-esteem.

The study appears in the journal Psychological Science.

A UK psychologist said people based their feelings about themselves on real evidence from their lives. The suggestion people should "help themselves" to feel better was first mooted by Victorian Samuel Smiles 150 years ago. His book, called simply Self Help, sold a quarter of a million copies and included guidance such as: "Heaven helps those who help themselves." Self-help is now a multi-billion pound global industry.
'Contradictory thoughts'
However people with high self-esteem felt better after repeating the positive self-statement - but only slightly.

The psychologists then asked the study participants to list negative and positive thoughts about themselves. They found that, paradoxically, those with low self-esteem were in a better mood when they were allowed to have negative thoughts than when they were asked to focus exclusively on affirmative thoughts. Writing in the journal, the researchers suggest that, like overly positive praise, unreasonably positive self-statements, such as "I accept myself completely," can provoke contradictory thoughts in individuals with low self-esteem.

Such negative thoughts can overwhelm the positive thoughts. If people are instructed to focus exclusively on positive thoughts, negative thoughts might be especially discouraging.

Real life
The researchers, led by psychologist Joanne Wood, said: "Repeating positive self-statements may benefit certain people, such as individuals with high self-esteem, but backfire for the very people who need them the most." However, they say positive thinking can help when it is part of a broader programme of therapy.

Simon Gelsthorpe, a psychologist with Bradford District Care Trust and spokesman for the British Psychological Society, said self-esteem was based on a range of real life factors, and that counselling to build confidence - rather than telling yourself things are better than they are - was the solution. "These are things like, do you have close family relationships, a wide network of friends, employment and appearance. If you're not close to your parents, don't have many friends, are unemployed and are unhappy with your appearance, it might be hard to have high self-esteem. But if your experience is the reverse of that it would be much easier to say 'I'm OK' and believe that."

The researchers, from the University of Waterloo and the University of New Brunswick, asked people with high and low self-esteem to say "I am a lovable person." They then measured the participants' moods and their feelings about themselves.

In the low self-esteem group, those who repeated the mantra felt worse afterwards compared with others who did not.

Yuray

self help books are just as good as self surgery books. would you operate on your body? then why operate on your mind? self help is a misnomer, but as a finacial reward for the authors, it is fact..... they help themselves to your money, and your hopes

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Of course, this article was about one piece of advice (self-affirmations) given in some self-help books on self-esteem.

The self-help book on self-esteem by David Burns focuses instead on CBT methods.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And the particular type of "self-help" they are discussing (critiquing) is the approach of positive psychology, or positive pop psychology, specifically affirmations (a la The Secret).

There are many other forms and varieties of self-help books. of varying quality and utility of course, but some are, I think, really excellent.

Self help can only make an individual feel better about who they already are.
It takes the low self-concept individual and transforms them into a high concept person who feel different about who they are.. So self help cannot make you feel worse....only YOU can make YOURSELF feel Worse. Its all based on how you see yourself and if you like yourself for or not!

So my suggest is start liking yourself , cuz your stuck with you!

songbird

There are many other forms and varieties of self-help books. of varying quality and utility of course, but some are, I think, really excellent.

I agree, I have gotten some very practical information from self help books. I particularly like Dr. Daniel Amen and his dvd's on Change your Brain Change your Life and a Magnificent Mind at any Age. Even some of Tony Robins motivational material has given me a better understanding of the basic needs that we operate out of. Dr. Jim Richards or faith teachers like Joseph Prince, have been life savers, provided hope during some very critical times even if it just gets me to the next day.

There should be no boundaries when it comes to health and recovery. Why limit any resources, you never know what will work. It's rarely just one miraculous treatment, therapy, or pill that works, it is usually an accumulation of a variety of different resources, treatment, information.

That's my take on it.

cheers :2thumbs:

(I still don't see the quote option working for me....do you?) I made sure I left all the brackets in like you told me......hmmm

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

ah ha, there it is.....it worked :)

Ade

Self help books have a part to play and can be a good way to start the step towards change, "BUT" some people with very low self esteem can end up feeling worse; this can have a very bad impact on recovery.

Some self help books can give the impression that it can be done, it should be done and its easy to do it, when the person fails to do what is stated as being easy or identifies the inability to succeed at the task or program it then affirms the persons opinion that they are in fact not able to and verifies to them that they are useless or an ineffective person.

So I think it depends on the quality of the book and the ability of the person to evaluate their personal ability and self worth.

So in my opinion I would not recommend such self help books as a way for someone with very low self esteem to try with out other means of support.

HotthenCold

Two things really resonate with me here:

the statement
"They found that, paradoxically, those with low self-esteem were in a better mood when they were allowed to have negative thoughts than when they were asked to focus exclusively on affirmative thoughts" is something I can agree with. I know it seems very illogical for a person to feel "good" when having negative thoughts, but from my personal experience it can. Not that it's healthy, but to me it's like an addict getting their fix, as I know I'm partly "in love" with my misery because it's familiar, so when I'm surrounded by people touting a bunch of toothless "feel good" jargon that doesn't address root problems or provide constructive ways of overcoming then I am quite happy to return to my miserable thoughts. I think it's partyl because I feel it's better to be genuine in my misery so I can keep looking for the "why" instead of feeling fake in "fake it till you believe it" sense of happiness.

the second thing that stuck out in this article for me was the statement "unreasonably positive self-statements, such as "I accept myself completely," can provoke contradictory thoughts in individuals with low self-esteem."

From personal experience I know this to be VERY true. It's sort of reminder of how much I suck rather than something I'm likely to believe and then internalize.

I like this article because I'm constantly finding myself angered at the laziness of most attempts at fixing or improving a damaged psyche.

the other factor is that returning to negative thoughts in a sense helps us return to our comfort zone. the thoughts are detrimental to us but they are familiar, and in a sense things that are familiar are safe to us - even if there are drawbacks.

the other factor is that returning to negative thoughts in a sense helps us return to our comfort zone. the thoughts are detrimental to us but they are familiar, and in a sense things that are familiar are safe to us - even if there are drawbacks.
:eek:mg: This is so true! I have been a victim of this for years! I can step outside and shake the negative thoughts only for short periods of time, but it too easy to come "back home" to self-condemnation and putdowns. I hate that. I even wrote a poem about it. It was quite revealing to me when I sat back and read what I wrote. It's funny how creativity can open "back" doors in the mind and let things out that can be truly revealing when the "front" doors are locked down tight. I will post it if anyone is interested.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.