More threads by tryindbt

tryindbt

Just wondering...people on the news have been speculating about this guy for several weeks now..some people have said that he may have a bi-polar break or something- what do you guys thinK? Is this something that can happen later on in life when you had no symptoms of it before?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Charlie Sheen- melt down?

First and foremost, I see a lot of mental health professionals speculating about or providing diagnoses for Charlie Sheen in the media . I think this is utterly unethical. Those involved need to go back to school and re-take Ethics 101. It's also pointless: You cannot diagnose someone you have never met. That's what separates the Dr. Phils of the world from real mental health professionals.

But regarding your question about mental health symptoms emerging later in life, yes it is possible, especially in the case of sustained substance abuse which over time can damage the brain. Of course, substance abuse can also mask symptoms of mental illness which may not become evident until after the substance abuse stops or is curtailed.

tryindbt

Thanks Dr. B. I was wondering about that because I thought bi-polar was something that you were born with because it is a chemical imbalance; I didn't think that was something you could develop later- but maybe substance abuse can create that chemical imbalance (??)

I also appreciate the info on the ethics. I have wondered about that and I was not sure if his behavior is "normal" for a nutty actor that wants attention (and realizes the strange comments creates that attention) (????) ....Not sure what to think, but I hope we are not watching someone famous lose it on t.v. It's sad that people would exploit that situation for their benefit...but at the same time, you can't really control an adult and make them seek help or get checked out..just because you want to make sure they are okay...that's the sad thing about mental illness..it's not like being shot in the arm and saying "no, we have to take you to the hospital!"

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Are You Sick of Charlie Sheen? There's an app for that

Sick of Charlie Sheen? Tinted Sheen Browser Add-On Erases Him From the Web - Urlesque
by Jay Hathaway
March 9, 2011

Feeling like you've overdosed on Charlie Sheen? Enter Tinted Sheen, a browser add-on for Firefox or Chrome that blocks mentions of Sheen as you go about your daily browsing. At last, our long national hangover is over!

If you're thinking that this sounds a lot like last year's Urly-award-winning, Justin-Bieber-erasing Shaved Bieber add-on, you're right. It's made by the same guys, over at FFFFF.at.

Here's the Chrome add-on, and here's the Firefox version. Enjoy! Oh, and you can also make a statement by unfollowing Charlie on Twitter this Friday for International Unfollow Charlie Sheen Day.

phoebe22

Re: Charlie Sheen- melt down?

But regarding your question about mental health symptoms emerging later in life, yes it is possible, especially in the case of sustained substance abuse which over time can damage the brain. Of course, substance abuse can also mask symptoms of mental illness which may not become evident until after the substance abuse stops or is curtailed.

I've never had much respect for the guy, but seeing/hearing his very public meltdown is sad; it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion and wondering why he's not been committed or something for his own sake if no other. Just hate seeing that kind of thing happening to anyone.

I try to avoid watching/listening, but it's almost impossible.

From a culture-based perspective, it's fascinating how quickly his name, behaviours, and phrases are taking their place in our language. Already I've heard "do you want me to go all Charlie Sheen on ya?" at least three times just this week.

Sad.
I see a lot of mental health professionals speculating about or providing diagnoses for Charlie Sheen in the media . I think this is utterly unethical. Those involved need to go back to school and re-take Ethics 101. It's also pointless: You cannot diagnose someone you have never met. That's what separates the Dr. Phils of the world from real mental health professionals.

I haven't seen or heard any of (probably because I try to ignore), but if that's what's going on, then I agree absolutely. Double absolutely re: Dr Phils of the world (how do I loathe that man? let me count the ways ... no, wait, not enough fingers and toes)

Just my :2cents:

:coffee:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.