More threads by HotthenCold

HotthenCold

...And possibly some other "conditions" as well?

I post on here a lot.
I've stayed sober for a little while now and so am being faced with all the things I covered up with substances.

Now that alcohol and drug related anxiety is gonzo (other than regret associated with substance abuse and the flashbacks of that frame of mind)
I'm realizing how depressed I really am.

I have little motivation to do anything. I have many hobbies and many goals, but much of the time I just can't get myself to accomplish something related to those activities.

My negative thoughts and lack of focus are so apparent now that I'm not dealing with substance issues.

I am very isolated because I have grown more and more weary of social interaction.

I have a great deal of anxiety about my future because I have been steadily retreating from people for a long time due to increasing levels of discomfort in social situations (to put it simply) related to my self concept and social awkwardness.

I don't have many friends because I decided none of the ones I had were very good friends.

I'm beginning to ramble here...

The main point of my post was meant to express how hopeless and unmotivated I feel.

Every time I take action I get so frustrated by thoughts of failure, and by small challenges that present themselves, that I get angry or sad and quit doing what I'm doing. I work at being persistent but often I'm just not.

If I try one hobby I get so depressed by thoughts like "I'm too old" "What does this amount to?" "This is too much work"

It's as if the only things I look forward to are getting paid, eating, and working out.

I don't want to be some vain scrooge mcduck type character, but nothing else really gives me pleasure or even respite anymore.

My thoughts are such a mess!

And on top of that I'm paranoid that people are watching me, I"m highly sensitive, I have severe OCD, and anger problems. Not looking for sympathy, just adding necessary information.

Laughing at the absurdity of it all provides momentary relief but it's kind of a nihilistic, destructive state of mind so I don't like to stay there.

---------- Post Merged at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 PM ----------

and I'd like to add that I find it funny that I used "scrooge mcduck" instead of just "scrooge"

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hahaha! I too think that it is highly amusing but AWESOME that you said Scrooge McDuck! (when you could have conveyed a money-loving idea just with Scrooge...)

...because who wants to be just a plain money-grabbing miser, when you could ALSO be swimming in the money, and wearing spats over shoeless duck feet? And no pants.
:D

-- Scrooge aside, it's wonderful that you have taken the step of putting aside the "cover" of the substances. Congratulations to you.

What has happened so far in terms of treatments or therapy, if you are comfortable giving us an idea? Is someone treating you?

HotthenCold

Well, for therapy, I guess not much has happened.

I am not currently seeing a counsellor or psychiatrist. I have seen a counsellor for brief periods throughout the last 15 years, but never stuck with one.

I'm on cipralex now, not really noticing much from that drug though. Thought I might be, but it's mostly just the change in routine that is making me feel a bit better (though I am hesitant to say better because it doesn't feel that way now and this latest bout has been very severe, maybe worse than when I was using)

I haven't really stuck to any regimen of healing work on a regular basis. However I have changed my habits quite a bit, which is a form of therapy I suppose (???), but I am not currently receiving any kind of treatment. It's apparent that I need to change that soon though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be so beneficial for you if you did go and see a therapist a psychologist a pdoc someone who can give you the answers you are asking for. Someone that is qualified and who will look at your whole history medical and psychological and come to a diagnosis for you Do that for you ok

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.