More threads by AmZ

AmZ

You're insistence on "no other options" is both puzzling and concerning. There are lots of other options.

It's 8.45pm on a Thursday night. I treated myself to some Chinese take-away, and of course, with that I get my once-a-week treat of a Coke. And I have a movie to watch. But I guess it's just not good enough for me and I had to put some tipple in my Coke.

I have at least nobody I can do anything with, so means doing something by myself. And I can't think of anything I want to do at 9pm by myself.

AmZ

Yeah.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

It's OK. I'm not drinking. Just plain Coke and am going to enjoy my evening with no alcohol.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Just wanted to say that I feel good for not drinking tonight.

Good(natural-ish [just Effexor!])night(sleep).
Goodnight ;)

TY ty.

CarlaMarie

You know AA is everywhere they should have a hotline number or you even could find a directory on-line for your area. It is a we program and you don't have to do it alone. It is a day at a time. Way to go! You got through a day and you really wanted to drink. That is all you have to do. Get through a day. My suggestion is to try a meeting. You can just check one out. It will make it much easier. The first step is to admit your powerless over alcohol, your life is unmanagable (acceptance takes time). It's was hard for me to get that I was out of control with alcohol/drugs or any substace that altered my mood I wanted to rely on them to cope and I would go through cycles and end up hitting a wall. I thought it was me that caused the problems and if I could just fix me the problems would go away. I don't have that power. That is the unmanagability. My life was unmagable. I was a dog chasing my tail. When I went to AA I found amazing people who act, think, and feel just like me. Here is the kicker. They laughed,, smiled, and had hope. I had it all backwards. The twelve steps rock.

Yuray

Given the amount you drink, which is not a heck of a lot, it doesn't sound as though alcohol is a problem, but an escape. The problem is resorting to drinking as an option. It may escaslate, it may not, but as an option, its a better choice than getting high or self injuring as long as it is moderate. If it exceeds moderate, you are only adding to that heap of rubbish, and your heap is already large enough. :(

CarlaMarie

Thank goodness Alcoholism is a self-diagnoised disease. I apologize for stepping on anyones toes. I don't know you, your history or the truth about your drinking or drugging. I suggested try a meeting and shared my experience. I heard the pain in your writing, the isolation, and the lonliness. My bad. I wish you well.

AmZ

No need to apologize CarlaMarie :)

Of course, your intentions were only good and there is no harm in you offering your advice based on the limited information that either you or anyone else has on the forum.

For now, things are under control enough that the drinking is not a large concern for me. But I am well aware that it's something that I have to look out for because it of course has the potential to become a much larger problem. I hope that once I am feeling better in general, that my urges to drink alone to escape will dissipate.

I'm sure it will make you feel better if I told you something that my therapist said to me CarlaMarie - A couple of weeks ago, after I drank last, I went in to therapy and told her that I'd drank again to escape etc etc. And even her response was "of course, the use of alcohol in order to escape is not an ideal thing to be doing, but if it's something that you don't do too often that it affects your daily life, and you find it a good way of winding down, then it's OK". Lucky I even realized then that this is not the route of thinking that I need to take and told her that for me, it needs to be a no-no to do even that because it can easily get out of control.

Concerning other drugs, I used to smoke marijuana as a teenager quite a bit over the space of several years, but the last time I smoked was about 2 years ago now. Lucky I since got rid of those 2 'stoner-friends' :p I've had lots of urges in the last several months to get some, but haven't. For that I can be thankful to people on this forum who advised me against doing so. :)

CarlaMarie

No, your not like me...darn. It would of been a great support group. I love it. You either are or your not. You don't need to go there (using it to escape or medicate your feelings). It's a vertex. Keep on...keeping on.:2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.