More threads by AmZ

Yuray

I can't regret the past but I wish I had studied (finished) something at university and had a direction to go in.
Does this mean you have some university?
Is a community college an option, or a trade school?

I am not fluent in the language here
After four years there, are you somewhat competent with the language, and are courses available to help you improve on it?

CarlaMarie

Hi,
I would like to share some of my experience. I have been on effexor for many years now with lots of experience on and off it (one of the many ways I self harmed). I know what it feels like to go through the increase in dose and I relate to the syptoms your having. I am stable on my meds now and have been for awhile. I found a bunch of the weird stuff went away. Like my eye would tingle and stuff like that. I take 2 180 of effexor in the morning and at night I take trazadone. I still have my complex PTSD and have panic attacks and all that but I keep getting better. It seems like your struggling but doing the right thing. Persistance is what worked for me.

AmZ

Hi guys,

Wow, stressful day and it's still going on. Not good timing and a very uncomfortable situation indeed. They've just fired 17 people out of 27 of us... Me and another 9 people are still safe for now, depending on how the company does over the coming couple of weeks.

Does this mean you have some university?
Is a community college an option, or a trade school??
We had to choose at the age of 15 what subjects we wanted to take which then leads on to university. In my opinion, that's a very young age to choose, but that's the way it works in the UK. I chose art, because it was just a hobby and something I enjoyed at the time but knew it wasn't going to be a career. Anyway, I did 2 years extra after high school and then a 1 year art diploma and got in to a 3 year degree course. I did one year of it and didn't like it and didn't want to be in England, so moved here. So now been here for 4 years. Nothing I did at university or in school goes towards anything here as the minimum they recognize is a bachelors degree. I did an 18 week web design course since coming here which ended up to be a waste of time as I'd already self-taught myself everything they had taught us already. There are basically no courses offered here asides from degrees (which I can't afford for starters and other problems, like the language and past education they don't recognize) and the college course I did in web design is no way enough experience to go in to the job field with. I look all the time for new things that are maybe available, but there isn't anything.
To be honest, I've been more successful in doing things by myself, but it's not reliable enough to earn a full time salary which I need. I started an affiliate website about 3 years ago (from knowing nothing about SEO or web design) and after about 8 months, I taught myself everything and built it and then for about a year was earning a steady monthly amount of money ranging from $250-$2000 so I earned several thousand Dollars or so from it within a year or so. My dream would to be self-employed like this but like I say, it's not really reliable enough. I've since started working back on the website because I know that the more time I put in it, the more money I make back from it and I've only made a couple of hundred every 2 or 3 months in the last year since I stopped working on it.

After four years there, are you somewhat competent with the language, and are courses available to help you improve on it?
My mistake was coming here and since doing so, in working and studying only in English as there is quite a lot available in English and it often has worked out better being from the same background (new immigrants) as other English speakers from other countries. I'm competent on a conversational/daily-use level of the language but my vocab is a big problem. I looked in to studying again for 5 months, but they cost a lot of money and is minimum twice a week and nothing has fitted in with my 3 day fixed work schedule.

Hi,
I would like to share some of my experience. I have been on effexor for many years now with lots of experience on and off it (one of the many ways I self harmed). I know what it feels like to go through the increase in dose and I relate to the syptoms your having. I am stable on my meds now and have been for awhile. I found a bunch of the weird stuff went away. Like my eye would tingle and stuff like that. I take 2 180 of effexor in the morning and at night I take trazadone. I still have my complex PTSD and have panic attacks and all that but I keep getting better. It seems like your struggling but doing the right thing. Persistance is what worked for me.
Thank you very much for the reply :)
I'm very glad to hear that you are in the process of getting better - Genuinely nice to hear good stories like this!
I've had persistence and patience and it seems to be like that's worked for me in the end also... I've been on 300mg XR for err, 3 weeks and a bit, and felt a big change mid-last week. I've since been a lot more calm and balanced out. Things have been pretty stressful the last couple of days though, but I must say, still, at least physically I've stayed quite calm and I also have noticed a big difference in intrusive/unpleasant thoughts I normally have. For sure, my sleep has improved a hell of a lot also, and I'm now sleeping at least double the amount each night than I was sleeping in the last 6 months. So... Things are looking up... Let's hope everything else starts to work out whatever may be... All a bit up in the air and feeling lost and overwhelmed but hope to speak with my therapist and we can sort out a plan to go by.
What is the trazadone for? For sleeping? Did you not find the Effexor helped with your sleep? I heard that in some cases, it can cause insomnia or sleep problems and maybe doesn't help out with that side of things. I know the feeling about the weird side effects! I really think that I've had a few of those also that weren't related to anxiety, like my muscles twitching when I'm sitting or laying still... I've never had that in 6 months of having the anxiety, so pretty sure that's no coincidence that it only happened in the same week that I went up to 300mg Effexor etc...

Right, it's time to leave work now for the day!

Me and one woman are here that are 'safe' and all of our work buddies are packing their stuff up to leave so it's not an easy situation to be in!!!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
We had to choose at the age of 15 what subjects we wanted to take which then leads on to university. In my opinion, that's a very young age to choose, but that's the way it works in the UK.

Thirty to forty years ago, children in England were streamed at age 11 for their future academic streams. In that context, 15 is a huge improvement.

AmZ

Thirty to forty years ago, children in England were streamed at age 11 for their future academic streams. In that context, 15 is a huge improvement.

Yep, I guess so! Can't deny that!
But I can't count how many people I knew went to university because of pressure put on them by society in general and or/parents and jobs always asking for at least a BA, even if it's not related to the job you are going for! My friends went and had 3 miserable years or 3 party years studying things like law, and hated it all along, and didn't even use it in the end or jewelry degrees and did nothing for 3 years and just partied all the time! So yeah, after a year of me being the only one pretty much turning up to the studio and wanting to be learning and doing something, I quit! Again, I maybe wish that I would have chosen something more focussed such as graphic design or something with computers as it's more in demand... But hmm, really not so much I can do now! I know it's not good to have regrets, so am trying to work out my future from today onwards :) Searching gets exhausting though!

Yuray

AmZ

Thanks Yuray, that's really nice of you to have taken the time to find these links for me! I'll definitely be looking in to them. Much appreciated.

I'm off for a semi-misbehaving but relaxing evening... Take away sushi and hmm, well, a Coke and some liquor goes well with that. And a movie. Unfortunately an ice cream or some other 'treat' doesn't quite do it for me! Maybe I'll find something else in life that will fill the place of a nice couple of drinks to relax with and enjoy. I'll be good with my limits. Promise. I know I shouldn't drink at all and I'm calm and relaxed anyway, so why bother? It's just enjoyable I guess.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Haha.

AmZ

Sorry Yuray. I'm just being an ass. Everything is laughable right now. Better than the alternative, I guess.

Yuray

Being an ass is not always better than alternatives. Alternatives are choices, and you are only seeing bad ones.

Earlier you alluded to coke and liquor, and said you know you shouldn't drink, but were going to anyhow, and were going to limit yourself, and that drinking is enjoyable. You said you wanted a "void" to be replaced with something other than booze, and you would desire that.

If you drank tonight, even maintaining limits, the escape from reality is short lived, and generally leaves one in the same boat when the effects wear off, and being an ass sometimes. Drinking is not an alternative, it's a mistake while on medication.

Basically, you told us you were 'going to be bad', and told us 'but not too bad'. In a situation like that, should someone be chastised for being bad, or praised for not being too bad? Something to look up is Effexor vs Liquor.
MyTherapy Discussion Forums - alcohol cravings w/ Effexor?
Risks of Drinking Alcohol While on Effexor | eHow.com

AmZ

Thanks Yuray.

I was saying that the choice about laughing at everything was better than an alternate at the time such as getting worked up and anxious about everything. Excuse me for still being an ass though :)

Well, I have voids yes, lots of them. I do still enjoy a couple of drinks though and stuck to that last night. I guess that I'd like to be able to get to the stage of both having things in my life that make me naturally happy and also have a couple of drinks a couple of times a month because I don't see the harm in that - But I know that drinking by myself is not really good, so I'll try to stick to it when I am around people in the future. For now, I know I should just forget about it completely. I woke up with my eyes swollen this morning which I never have, and I am guessing, that even though I wasn't drunk, it was probably because of the medication and drink together - My stomach was hurting also an hour or so after I drank and during the night. Anyway, we all learn our lessons. I still can't say that it wasn't enjoyable though. Now I try it do it by doing other things like going to the gym etc, but nothing for me is the same than drinking and stuff or taking some sleeping pills.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmZ

Which part gave you the most enjoyment: the drinking alone, swollen eyes, or sore stomach?
The effect of the alcohol... Regardless of whether I was by myself or not. Things are more entertaining and seem better through the liquor-tinted-glasses. Lucky I was never a crying-sad drunk. Or maybe I should wish that I was one, then nothing would be good about it.

Anyway, I'm still embarrassed about therapy and just want to run away to be honest and never face her again. I didn't manage to do anything social or any new things this week so failed on that. My mood doesn't feel lifted at all, I just feel physically more relaxed and calm since last week.

Psychiatrist in the morning. I'm just going to say for now that my medication is working and leave it at that and see how things go. The other psychiatrist said about taking Endronax also, but to be honest here, I don't think any medication will make me feel that much better so I don't want to take more medication than I'm already taking.

Just need to sort out every part of my darn life out somehow. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

I don't want to take any more of people's time here, at least for now, so thank you for everything.

I'll sort things out one way or another.

C'est la vie.

CarlaMarie

You are telling my story. You are where I was at five years ago and I have to tell you there is so much hope. I drank for the same reasons you drink and a warning about the effect of alcohol with my medication would have not deterred me from drinking. I too drank for the effect produced by alcohol. Alcohol was my best friend and I couldn't stop sure I could for days, sometimes weeks but I would miss the sense of ease and comfort I felt and sure enough I would pick up again no matter what the consequences. Until finally I was sick of it. Sick of the way my life was going. With alcoholism our problems pile up and are difficult to solve. Until I got sober I could not solve my problems. I got stable on my med and sobered up by going to 12 Step meetings. It was then I could address my all my problems and find solution.

Yuray

I don't want to take any more of people's time here,
We volunteer here to have our time taken up. Sometimes, it's satisfying, and other times challenging, but never considered as 'time being taken up'. Sometimes our responses challenge the person posting, and the challenge is given in a positive way to incite thought or introspection. It can be a way of realigning the crux of what needs to be addressed or further investigated, and bring the topic back to a point where progress can be made. There are times when people posting feel threatened, or attacked, by a 'challenge'. Its hard sometimes to sift through extraneous information to see what is really happening, or being said.

Psychlinks is a forum where people participate, take what they can, offer what they can, and then drift on. We offer what we can, and at times it's not to the liking of someone looking for information, but it's given with sincerity, and good intent.

Your participation here has been stimulating to many, appreciated by many, and has puzzled many. I hope your leave of absence is short.:)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
AmZ said:
Psychiatrist in the morning. I'm just going to say for now that my medication is working and leave it at that and see how things go

Not advisable unless it's true. Health professionals cannot assist you if you withhold information from them.

AmZ

You are telling my story. You are where I was at five years ago and I have to tell you there is so much hope. I drank for the same reasons you drink and a warning about the effect of alcohol with my medication would have not deterred me from drinking. I too drank for the effect produced by alcohol...I got stable on my med and sobered up by going to 12 Step meetings. It was then I could address my all my problems and find solution.
Thank you CarlaMarie :) and a big well done for the hard work you have put in. I know that I need to quit whilst I am ahead. I've only drank about 4 times in the last 6 months since this started, but I know that it's one time too many really, because 1. I am on meds and shouldn't drink and 2. When I have drank, it's not a social/special event type thing, it's drinking by myself in order to escape from things. I have a lot of urges all the time and I gave in eventually with the alcohol and have managed to resist getting some weed, so now hopefully I'll stop all of it.

We volunteer here to have our time taken up. Sometimes, it's satisfying, and other times challenging, but never considered as 'time being taken up'... Your participation here has been stimulating to many, appreciated by many, and has puzzled many. I hope your leave of absence is short.:)
Thank you Yuray. I appreciate your words and of course, everyone's time in posting back and trying to help. I feel a bit like a lost cause right now so was feeling bad about bothering others also.

Not advisable unless it's true. Health professionals cannot assist you if you withhold information from them.
Thanks Dr Baxter. Yeah, I know. I guess that I'm too cautious either way to say if it's working enough or not enough - I keep telling myself that I know the medication can't take all or even a lot of the feelings away and certainly can't solve my problems, so was maybe thinking I need to do the balancing act of therapy vs medication and both working together more... As you are aware, the therapist put a lot of emphasis on the medication, here we spoke about not relying on the medication etc etc... In the end, I know it's not. I also don't want to take more meds really, but I know that I need to if I need to!

I went to the psychiatrist today. I explained what has been going on and she understood. She has put me on Lamictal alongside the Effexor.
I said that even though I can feel a difference physically, in being more relaxed and calm and sleeping better, I don't feel an improvement in my mood being lifted asides from a little feeling here and there, like for a few minutes or an hour or two a day, and then my mood goes way down again. She said that this medication should balance my mood out, but will possibly take some weeks until I get to the right dosage.
I'm either feeling 'OK' or anything below that, going up and down below that line. At least if I can be feeling OK and be able to do more than basic functioning, then I can go and be able to do new and different things which should make me happier and more content over time, so that's the plan.

I'll be OK :)

Thanks everyone.

Retired

I feel a bit like a lost cause right now so was feeling bad about bothering others also.

As has been said, there is never a bother here, and everyone has bad days along with the good days. Psychlinks is a support forum where you can feel comfortable in expressing your frustrations and concerns without fear of being judged.

Stick around..things usually get better!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
AmZ said:
I went to the psychiatrist today. I explained what has been going on and she understood. She has put me on Lamictal alongside the Effexor.

That may help to stabilize all the ups and downs you've been experiencing.

AmZ

Thank you Steve and Dr Baxter.

I know this sounds so stupid, but I'm going to have a drink tonight. I really don't care about having a drink and don't see a reason not to to be honest... At least right now anyway. Nothing else is going on, most things are up in the air and I just want to have a nice enjoyable evening. I have no other options or anything right now that could be instead of this. I want to have a drink.

Therapy was canceled tonight 1 hour before the session whilst I was coming back from work in another city on the bus. I'm not drinking because of that, but I probably wouldn't have drank if I had therapy as I'd get home very late. It's another week down in my life so I may as well try enjoy some of the week and chill out. Like I say, no other options. And this is something I find to be the most enjoyable right now and nothing else comes close. This isn't something, however, that I want to carry on doing, I know it's not a 'hobby or 'interest' that I want to do often at all. And I know it sounds stupid for me to say that, but I do genuinely want to find good things in other places of life and things to do, and people, etc... I failed this week to do so, so I hope that next week will be a new week.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.