More threads by Zach

Zach

Hi, I'm Zach. I'm hoping that I can find some helpful advice on this forum and be of some help to the other people here as well. I have Tourette's Syndrome and social anxiety. I'm very self-conscious and probably a bit of a perfectionist too. I'm not what else to put here and I need to get some sleep, so I'll leave it at that for now :)

Halo

Hi Zach and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:

I am glad that you decided to join us and I really hope to see you around the forum :wave:

As I am sure you may have noticed, we have quite the resourceful Tourette Syndrome Forum which I hope that you have/will check out.

Retired

Hello Zach, and.. :welcome2: ..to Psychlinks! I'm glad you found us and will look forward to your discussions.

I too have been diagnosed with Tourette, and the official diagnosis came late in life for me, so I experienced a lot of anxiety and misunderstanding about my condition throughout my younger years.

As Dr. Baxter suggested, have a look through the Tourette resources we have on Psychlinks, and feel free to ask any questions you may have about Tourette or anything else you may be interested in.

Do you live in an area where there is some local Tourette support?

Have you been given an official diagnosis by a physician or other health care professional?

social anxiety. I'm very self-conscious and probably a bit of a perfectionist too.

Not uncommon in people with Tourette; however as you gain more insights into the disorder, you can use some of this to your advantage.

Do you feel your Tourette is affecting your quality of life at this time?

Zach

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Hello Zach, and.. :welcome2: ..to Psychlinks! I'm glad you found us and will look forward to your discussions.

I too have been diagnosed with Tourette, and the official diagnosis came late in life for me, so I experienced a lot of anxiety and misunderstanding about my condition throughout my younger years.

As Dr. Baxter suggested, have a look through the Tourette resources we have on Psychlinks, and feel free to ask any questions you may have about Tourette or anything else you may be interested in.

Do you live in an area where there is some local Tourette support?

Have you been given an official diagnosis by a physician or other health care professional?

Not uncommon in people with Tourette; however as you gain more insights into the disorder, you can use some of this to your advantage.

Do you feel your Tourette is affecting your quality of life at this time?

I was diagnosed by a doctor during early childhood. I don't think it has a great impact on my quality of life, however, as its not very severe. I did have some pretty bad tics that I can remember when I was 11-13 years old, but they were mostly things like facial expressions(blinking, grimacing) or shrugging my shoulder. During the last few years it's been a lot better. I'll be sure to look through the Anxiety and Tourettes forums. I don't know of any local Tourettes support, but I feel that my family is very supportive and its not a huge problem anyway. It seems like the social and anxiety problems that I have stem from a combination of many things, although I'm sure much of it could easily be related to TS.

Retired

I see you show your location as being in New England, Zach. You may want to check out the Tourette Syndrome Association Chapter Search for a chapter in your area.

Having the support of your family is the one most important factor in sustaining your self confidence as you go through life with Tourette.

Many people experience a waning of tic activity as they move through adolescence, as you reported in your case.

Do you feel comfortable in sharing your age range at this time, Zach? I am in my retirement years, and was diagnosed in my late forties and did not have good support in my adolescent years because Tourette was not commonly diagnosed and identified at that time.

Zach said:
I'm very self-conscious

In connection with your tic expressions or something else?

What exactly is the nature of your social anxiety?

How can we help you?

Regards,

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.