More threads by Curious

Curious

I am coping with being high strung and have no idea on how to cure or understand it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. high strung :confused:

---------- Post Merged at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:30 PM ----------

I now understand I am High Strung and have Add. I have no idea on how to live with them. I am seventy two. Any help will be greatly appreciated. highstrung

Retired

I am High Strung and have Add........I have no idea on how to live with them.

Do you struggle with ADD symptoms such as disorganization, lack of focus, poor time management, career hurdles, or relationship problems?

Adult ADD and ADHD are more common than previously thought, but not recognized and hardly ever treated in people of our generation.

The links I provided are all Additude Magazine articles, dealing with adult ADHD issues.

Have a look through those, and follow the various links in each of the articles that interest you.

Additude is one of the most informative sites for ADD'ers that I have found.

Would you elaborate a little on exactly what symptoms tend to interfere with your life?

Hi highstrung were you just recently diagnosed with ADD and if so are you on medication for it.
Just want to welcome you to forum as well.

Curious

Thank you for having me. I have been this way all my life and I just woke up to the fact I have these two handicaps. My wife and by my doctor both saw it. I refused to accept there advice until now. I am a senior citizen and overwhelmed plus beside myself because of it. I fly off the handle at certain times because of other peoples actions like when driving to fast and sitting on my bumper to pass me plus other circumstances. At this late age seventy two can I be helped? High Strung

Last edited:

Curious

Being High Strung and with Add.

All my life I have had low self esteem and Add and did not know it until now. My parents were alcoholics and I blamed my self when in my teenage years. I have been a loner all my life. I will find help immediately, but my age of seventy two haunts me because of depression and I didn't want to know until now I had these two handicaps. Any advice will be well appreciated. High Strung with ADD:(

Retired

At this late age seventy two can I be helped?

Absolutely, as long as you want to be helped. We can all modify our behavior to improve our quality of life at any age.

I refused to accept there advice until now.

You have made the first and most important step by accepting you need help. The next step would be to locate a therapist who can provide you with strategies to learn skills to deal with situations that cause problems.

It's not heavy duty stuff, Highstrung, but may require some work on your part to learn some modified behaviors.

Is there a psychologist you might be able to consult?

It does not matter what age one is highstrung with mental illness all can be helped with therapy meds your choice in what way you decide to get help
The first step is calling your doctor and talking to him or her about what is in your best interest to help you NEVER too late ok to reach out and get support.

I don't think you are stubborn highstrung just not seeing clearly that all and with support from you family and doctor and the forum perhaps you will understand more of your diagnosis and the treatment that can help you

Retired

I don't think you are stubborn highstrung just not seeing clearly that all and with support from you family and doctor and the forum perhaps you will understand more of your diagnosis and the treatment that can help you

Exactly! If indeed the diagnosis is adult ADD, then with a bit of therapy, insight can be gained to understand how the ADD brain processes information and executes tasks, thereby potentially lessening feelings of guilt, frustration, shame etc.

It's not a case of being wrong or bad, but rather being different, with some very special qualities and skills.

See The neurochemistry of ADHD | explaining your brain | Additude

Curious

Does anyone know what creates High Strung and Add? My childhood wasn't the best time for me. Is it possible to take ones home problems as a child into adult life and why? High Strung

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
High strung is a colloquial term without a precise meaning. What does it mean to you? What traits or behaviors do you call high strung?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired

Highstrung,

You have not provided much information about your symptoms and behaviors nor the situations and circumstances that trigger the reactions that cause you difficulty, in order to get constructive suggestions.

Are you currently receiving any form of treatment or therapy for any of your diagnoses?

Have you looked at the Additude links provided earlier, and did any of those articles sound familiar?

I fly off the handle at certain times

Any other situations besides while driving in the car? What happens in these situations....hollering, melt downs, violent reactions? Do you feel remorse after these reactions?

Curious

Low Self Esteem

I am wondering if something in my childhood had done this to me? Both my parents were alcoholics and I blamed that om me. Could I have taken that into my adult life. Can one have Add and low self esteem from childhood into adulthood? Paul:confused:

Curious

I allow every small matter rub me the wrong way and I have no shame afterwords. It's like they did wrong and I didn't. Following to close in ones car is dangerous. Facial descriptions also are judge mental to me and etc. Paul

---------- Post Merged at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Yes but I didn't want to believe it, still don't, but have to for my family and friends like you. writer one :)

Retired

Re: Low Self Esteem

I am wondering if something in my childhood had done this to me? Both my parents were alcoholics and I blamed that om me. Could I have taken that into my adult life. Can one have Add and low self esteem from childhood into adulthood? Paul:confused:

These questions would probably be best answered in therapy.

I do believe a lot of our adult perceptions are based on childhood experiences, and the best way to come to terms with these issues are with the help of a qualified therapist.

Attention Deficit Disorder is not learned, but rather is a neurological disorder that may be genetic. It is a treatable disorder that requires medical intervention, about which you can gain a lot of insight by following those Additude links provided earlier.

Depending on what your life experiences have been when your ADD symptoms emerged and affected your relationships, your work and your ability to accomplish tasks, your self esteem may well have been adversely affected.

If you have been diagnosed with adult ADD, as has been suggested, your first step, after accepting your diagnosis, would be to consult you family doctor for help. You may ask for a referral to a local therapist with experience in treating adults with ADD, for therapy, which may be combined with medications indicated for adult ADD.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.