More threads by Cat Dancer

Not for the childhood stuff so much, but for what happened when I was a teenager and an adult. I KNEW better by then, know better now. I think the blaming myself is a huge reason I can't heal. I am not sure how to get past this.

the abuse that happened to you as a child contributes to what has and is happening today You are not to blame ok your are simply NOT to blame

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
The abuse we survive as a child conditions us to accept it as an adult. I did not realize until my thirties that my childhood was abnormal -it was my normal. I did not realize until my fifties that I had a right to say no to others demands.

GDPR

GDPR
I agree with what's already been said.

I still have a hard time,sometimes,with the things that happened when I was a teenager and should have known better.My therapist has told me I shouldn't blame myself for what I was taught to do,what I was trained to do.

I try to see it in that way,that I was doing what I had been doing since birth,that it was all I knew.

When I learned how to ride a bike,every time I got on one after that I automatically started pedaling.When I learned how to tie my shoes,I automatically knew how to tie like I was taught after that.So I guess all the other stuff was no different really,and it doesn't matter that it was wrong,it was still what I was taught.

It's hard to not beat myself up for it or blame myself though sometimes still.But if I think about if it happened to some other person,some other kid,would I blame them for it? I wouldn't! I would never blame a kid for what was done to them or what they were taught to do,I would put the blame where it belongs.

Even though I am an adult now,I still tie my shoes the way I was taught,I still start pedaling when I get on a bike. I still do everything automatically,the way I was taught. And all I can do now is learn new/different ways of doing things if I want them to change.

I hope that makes sense and you understand what I am trying to say.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.