More threads by Atlantean

Atlantean

I'm on Klonopin and Thorazine for anxiety and insomnia. Since my husband left a little over a month ago, I haven't been able to take my full dose of Thorazine at night, because if I do I wont wake up when the baby wakes up in the morning because its effects are longer lasting. So I lay there for hours just listening to the baby breathe and enjoying being cuddled up with him, but I am not sleeping, I'm waking up in the middle of the night frequently, and I still have a hard time fighting the 'hangover' feelings in the morning.

I really think I need to go through some medication changes, and find something that is faster acting (Ambien doesn't work on me), but lasts a shorter time. Especially if I get this job I am pretty sure I will be getting which although it allows me to telecommute, will require that I get out of bed earlier.

I've been trying to get off the thorazine for 2 years now just because its such a nasty drug as far as short and long term side effects go, but because I have such a high resistance or tolerance for most medications, its the only thing that has ever helped me to sleep regularly.

Is there anyone out there who is on a sleep aid that just knocks you out but lets you wake up and function in the mornings?

Re: Im so frustrated.

Hi ;
The best person to ask for a med change is your doctor , as he will know which medication will be compatible with the meds you are already taking .

I am sure he will be able to find one which suits your needs . Maybe Dr Baxter could help you with suggestions to put forward to your doctor .

take care . :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: I'm so frustrated

Thorazine is an older medication used primarily to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, rather than insomnia specifically.

There are certainly other options, both for treating insomnia (e.g., trazodone, imovane) and bipolar disorder (have you been tried on any of the newer so-called "atypical antipsychotics"?). But as white page has said, you really need to talk to your doctor about what's best for you given your individual medical history and current circumstances.

Atlantean

Well, he specifically said the trazadone was useless and took it from me at my first office visit when I brought in all my meds.. The problem I have with trying the atypicals is I have been through most of them and the antidepressants, and the bipolar meds, and nothing has worked. All that worked was the thorazine, but I so desperately want off it.

Thanks everyone for the effort. I guess was just hoping there was some excellent sleep medication out there that someone would be aware of that I havent found yet.

Thanks for your support.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Well, he specifically said the trazadone was useless and took it from me at my first office visit when I brought in all my meds.

It works for some of my clients and it's less likely to totally knock you out in case your baby wakes up. However, you could try talking to him about Imovane (Zopiclone).

Atlantean

I havent heard of Imovane. I will discuss it with him at our next meeting, though I dont know at this point when that will be. If I get the job, Ill be sure to call and ask him about it, because theres just no way what I am doing right now will allow for an AM work schedule.

Thank you for the suggestion. :)

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

I decided to research it on the net, and unfortunately Imovane is not commercially available in the US. *sighs softly* Any other suggestions?

Atlantean

See also Sleep Disorder Drugs (Hypnotic and Sedative Drugs)

There are several alternatives mentioned in that article that you might explore with your doctor.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, Dr. Baxter. I keep finding Zopidone with a 'c' instead of a 'd' so I cant verify if its available in the US or not, but I will ask my doctor about it.

I found that I am actually having a lot of the side effects mentioned in the article you linked to already, which I wasnt even aware were related to the medications I was already on (i.e. Heartburn/acid reflux) so thanks for the wealth of information. :)

Atlantean

Actually, I can't find it either. There was another zop- drug I thought available in the US but I may have the name wrong.

Its ok, Dr. Baxter. We are all entitled to one mistake per lifetime. '-)

Edit: I did a little research, I think you meant Zopiclone, which sounds a lot like the Imovane, the only problem is while it probably works great, its only used for 1-2 nights, no more than two weeks.

Are meds like nembutal still ever used, and would it apply to a case like mine?

Atlantean

Actually, Zopiclone is Imovane and I had a client who had been on it for 10 years.

So then it wouldnt be available in the US, either, correct? Everything I found recommended only short term use. Ill bring it up to my doctor. Or maybe once (if) I get my job I can just go through a mail-order pharmacy in Canada.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think mail order pharmacies are dangerous, personally, and I'm not sure they're legal in Canada.

I really don't know what's available in the US, sorry. Daniel may know.

Atlantean

I think mail order pharmacies are dangerous, personally, and I'm not sure they're legal in Canada.

I really don't know what's available in the US, sorry. Daniel may know.

Whos Daniel? Whats his screen name?

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

According to what Ive just found, Zopiclone is available in the US. :)
Supposed to be much better for you than the benzos, too. although in some cases (moreso with women) it has been known to cause psychosis.

Retired

David Baxter said:
Zopiclone is Imovane and I had a client who had been on it for 10 years.............don't know what's available in the US

Zopiclone(ZOP-i-klone) belongs to the group of medications called central nervous system (CNS) depressants (medicines that make you drowsy or less alert). It is a non-benzodiazepine sleep medication. The brand name is Immovane and is not commercially available in the U.S. but is sold in Canada and in Europe.

A related compound LUNESTA (eszopiclone) Tablets is currently marketed in the U.S. and claims to provide good quality sleep for people with insomnia.

When prescribed sleep medications, it is important to have good communication with the presciber to report any unexpected side effects, as dosage adjustments may be required.

Here is a link to the Manufacturer's information on Lunesta

Lunesta Oral may interact with the following medications:

Severe Interactions:
These medications are not usually taken together. Consult your healthcare professional (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) for more in formation.

SEDATIVE HYPNOTICS/SODIUM OXYBATE

Moderate Interactions:
These medications may cause some risk when taken together. Consult your healthcare professional (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) for more in formation.

ESZOPICLONE; ZOPICLONE/ERYTHROMYCIN
ESZOPICLONE; ZOPICLONE; ZOLPIDEM/KETOCONAZOLE
SELECTED SEDATIVE HYPNOTICS/RIFAMPIN

Source for interactions: Web MD/Lunesta

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.