More threads by making_art

making_art

Loneliness and The Holidays Dealing with loneliness during the holiday season
By Elizabeth Scott, M.S., About.com Guide
December 14, 2010

The holiday season is generally thought of as a time of joy and love, but for many people, it’s a time of loneliness. Some people live far from family and miss seeing their loved ones this time of year; others dread going to holiday parties and New Year’s Eve celebrations without a partner and end up staying home; it’s also common for people to feel emotional distance from the people they’re with, thus feeling lonely even if they’re in a room full of people. For those who feel lonely during the holidays, this time of year can be a time of additional stress. If you’re experiencing loneliness that causes you stress during the holiday season, the following suggestions can help.

Be Good To Yourself
While this may not completely erase feelings of loneliness, taking special care of yourself can help you to feel better and enjoy your solitude more. Whether you take a relaxing bath and give yourself spa treatments, curl up with a good book, enjoy a hobby, or learn something new, taking time to do things that will enhance your self esteem or at least give you a good dose of fun will not only take your focus off of feeling alone, but it can lift your spirits as well.

Understand That You’re Not Alone
While you may be feeling alone in your life right now, knowing that the holidays can be a lonely time for many people may help you to feel less so. (In fact, in a poll on this site, over half of respondents said they "usually" feel loneliness over the holidays, and only a small percentage said they "never" do!) Many people wish they could be with family, but can’t; many people long for closer connections with friends, or wish for a supportive romantic relationship, and find themselves feeling isolated during the holidays. While it may be uncomfortable to feel lonely, it’s also okay to feel this way. Talking to others who may share your feelings (either via the internet, or in real life) can help you to feel less alone in your situation.

Rethink Your Expectations
Part of why holidays feel more lonely for many people is that our society has high expectations for this time of year. The absence of a romantic partner or a close family rarely seems more uncomfortable than during this flurry of expected social activity when we’re all supposed to be going to parties and exchanging gifts and enjoying jolly feelings with loved ones. One way to deal with the feelings of loneliness is to re-think your expectations. Realize that few people’s lifestyles truly measure up to “movie standards” of perfect living, and shift your focus to all the great things you do have in your life. Realizing that it's just fine to take a good friend (instead of 'the perfect date') to a holiday party, or that the flawed love of a difficult family member still counts as love, has helped many people feel less lonely.

As I mentioned, it is possible to feel lonely when surrounded by people, but it’s harder to feel lonely when you’re reaching out to them. Whether you’re saying hello to neighbors you’re usually too rushed to acknowledge, exchanging friendly words with people at the office, or picking up the phone and calling an old friend you haven’t spoken to in a while, reaching out to people and strengthening bonds can help you feel more connected and less lonely. This article has more on meeting people and creating a circle of friends.

Cultivate Gratitude
There are many far-reaching benefits to gratitude. One easy antidote to feelings of lack is to cultivate feelings of gratitude for what you already have; it's hard to focus on both at once. If you're feeling a lack of love in your life, make a concerted effort to focus on the love that you do have--from friends, family, neighbors, and even pets. You can also focus on things you really value in your life, like your work, the hobbies you have, or even your potential. Maintaining a gratitude journal can be a wonderful exercise in cultivating an attitude of gratitude, and can leave you with a written record of everything you have to value in your life, to read through when you're feeling down.

Give To Others

One excellent way to feel less lonely during the holidays is to donate your time to a cause you believe in. Helping others who are less fortunate than you can fill you with feelings of love and pride, and even connect you with others who share your passion. You’ll be part of something larger than yourself, and you’ll be immersing yourself in the true spirit of the holiday season.

Examine Your Feelings
This one probably won’t make you feel better immediately, but if you feel lonely much of the time, this may be a cue that some changes are in order for the coming year. You may want to examine what’s behind your feelings of loneliness, either on your own or with the help of a therapist. Would you benefit from putting more time into your social life so that you have stronger relationships? Is something inside of you causing you to keep people at a distance? If you’d like to deepen your friendships, it can cost a little extra time and energy, but the payoff is having increased support and feelings of being heard and understood. Making time for friends, truly listening when your friends talk, and being there for them are all ways to build supportive friendships. This article has more on how to make your friendships more supportive.

Wolverine

Account Closed
Thats a title that i always had in my mind the last 10 years of my whole life,there is a problem,many people out there when the summer coming and the holidays coming,they can't be happy because they are alone and when you are alone for years you have feelings like abandonment ,loneliness of course,rejection etc.

The main problem in holidays and loneliness is that you can't do a lot of things to "forgive" your loneliness and feel comfortable to an enviroment of people that they are having holidays and fun.For example,i want to go in the summer to the beach,in the sea,to do what most people are doing these days,have fun,drink in beach bar,play with friends,relax from boring daily routine etc,but how to do it,i'm alone,i can't go alone to a place and...start swimming in the sea,i can't go alone in a beach bar and...sit with nobody there,i can't have fun playing...tennis alone in the beach.Basic stuff..
:facepalm::facepalm:

The worst sometimes is that when you don't have the chance to do that kind of things even alone,if i want to go the beach(just an example) i must drive the car,i have diploma but i'm scared to drive because i don't have confidence to my self,second i must ask from my parents the car,third i must pay the fuel of the car.Are those simple things doing the difference in the result.

For many people Holidays is one of their worst periods of their life..:undecided:

Wolverine

Account Closed
Damn,i'm trying to feel happy for holidays but i cant,maybe because i know after the end of the holidays i will return back to my daily misery,boring routine.:fool::fool:

Maybe you could try to do something new each. Even if its small. That may help

---------- Post Merged at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:02 AM ----------

New each day.

Wolverine

Account Closed
I haven't go vacations in last 8 years,i don't have nobody to go anywhere and have a little fun for awhile,as this summer is close again,it's the same situation as always.:huh1::huh1: Alone i can't do nothing..

Retired

Wolverine said:
I haven't go vacations in last 8 years,........ Alone i can't do nothing..

Instead of planning an elaborate "vacation" trip, have you considered just getting away someplace different for only a weekend?

If you don't go far the first time, you could always return if you feel uncomfortable.

If you are alone, have you investigated trips for singles? Not all organizations for singles are intended for dating, but rather for people who wish to travel alone to travel with other people traveling on their own.

Wolverine

Account Closed
It's something like seasonal anxiety of summer,every summer i feel suffocated because i see most people around me to have fun and i can't do nothing for that in my situation.
:panic:

Retired

i see most people around me to have fun and i can't do nothing for that in my situation.

Other peoples' idea of fun and vacation may not be exactly the right thing for you. Instead of thinking about what other people do for their amusement, consider what you might find interesting and pleasing for yourself.

It might be simple things like a walk in the forest, or on the beach or simply a hot bath. By keeping your expectations low, there is less chance that you will be disappointed by what you try doing for yourself.

What is it about your particular situation that prevents you from doing something that you might find enjoyable?

Wolverine

Account Closed
What is it about your particular situation that prevents you from doing something that you might find enjoyable?

Loneliness is loneliness,the situation is i can't enjoy anymore even if i try to do something enjoyable.:facepalm:

Wolverine,

Is it possible that it's the loneliness itself or maybe the affect that has on the activities that you don't enjoy?

Wolverine

Account Closed
Wolverine,

Is it possible that it's the loneliness itself or maybe the affect that has on the activities that you don't enjoy?

I am stuck to the same point almost a decade,i lost my best years trying figure out what's going on with myself,i become useless,isolated,antisocial,fear to get a move forward.Do you understand what is to give up your life in the age of 17 i suppose.

Wolverine

Account Closed
Have you had help for your depression from a professional? Supportive family? At least you have all of us here to talk with....

No,i am shy to go and to a professional,i fear i will not hear things i like there,then i don't have the money to begin a therapy or visit a therapist.My family aren't supportive much,with father i don't have good relationship and communication,he thinks i am lazy and don't care much for my problem.:mad:

Wolverine,

Was there something that happened at the age of 17 that triggered these feelings?

Not something serious but the situation remains the same for many years.

-shyness as kid and lack of confidence,Inferiority complex
-no friends,indifference from them to my person
-no girl or relationships
-no studies,working or job,giving up early any try
-no vacations,fun,clubs etc stuff
-no driving(i have licence) cause of fear i'll make something wrong
-fear the behavior of father upon me
-no interest for life,no phone calls with nobody,all time thinking negative
-dissapointment,loneliness,isolation,hiding from know people,even relatives,shame for my self etc,as result of the above.Also i have anger for people that forgot me like they never knew me..

Thats some symptoms and complexes i face and caused problems to how i think,they way i live closed and away from social world.:facepalm:

Wolverine,

Is there anything about the situation that you could point to as having the biggest impact on these feelings?

Wolverine,

You said your father thinks you are lazy about your problem, that his behaviour toward you is a concern and that your family isn't supportive. Is this because he doesn't believe you need therapy and relates your problem or problems to being lazy or unmotivated?

I ask this because many people mistake or blame people with depression with a lack of motivation and label them as simply being lazy. Sometimes people have a hard time accepting that their children may need therapy out of guilt or shame feeling that they are either to blame or ashamed of their inability to resolve their child's problems on their own.

Wolverine

Account Closed
Probably he don't believe i have problem,you know "you don't give a f@ck,go find a job you lazy,you don't have interests,you are all the day in house and we don't know what to do with you",that's a reason why i can't and i don't want to ask him money or talk with him,he won't listen for serious.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.