More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Narcissistic Parents: Contact or Not?
by Karyl McBride, Ph.D., Psychology Today
May 15, 2011

Making decisions about toxic parents

The most frequently asked question from adult children of narcissistic parents is whether or not to remain in contact with that parent and/or the rest of the dysfunctional family nest. It goes deep and is difficult to know what's best. Your family roots, your very beginnings, and subsequent history are all a significant part of you. We are who we are based on where we've been. Juggling decisions for sound mental health can be packed with arduous cognitive and emotional machinations that create distress. Sometimes these imminent decisions become paramount to every day life. Our hearts can be wrapped with it. The question and the struggle are not to be underestimated.

In loving recovery with self, decisions can be made that feel right to the heart. Without recovery work, however, those decisions may steer in wrong directions. If you simply detach and remove yourself from your narcissistic parent without doing your own work, you will not diminish your pain and your true self cannot emerge to the peacefulness that you desire. As Dr. Murray Bowen reminds us in Family Therapy in Clinical Practice, "Less-differentiated people are moved about like pawns by emotional tensions. Better-differentiated people are less vulnerable to tension." If you take yourself out of the situation without completing your internal growth, you have accomplished less and can remain troubled.

It is important for adult children of narcissistic parents to know that there are truly some parents who are too toxic and are what I call the "untreatables." If someone is abusive and cruel and continues to be without remorse or empathy, it cannot be healthy for anyone to be around that person. That's ok and important to know. Full-blown narcissists do not change, do not realize the need to change, are not accountable or receptive to input from their children.
Because narcissism is a spectrum disorder on a continuum, there are many people who have narcissistic traits but are not full blown narcissists. Many of these people can move in therapeutic directions if they choose. Your decision regarding contact with the toxic untreatable or the highly-traited narcissist can best be made by working your own recovery and taking adequate time to allow the healing to happen. When developing my five-step recovery model, I found that the decisions about contact should not be made until step four. That means you are working acceptance, grief, separation, and building a stronger sense of self before deciding what kind of contact you will continue to have with your narcissistic parent. The five-step model can be found in Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers and is too complicated to fully explain in a blog post.

In short, however, I usually recommend taking a temporary separation to work your own recovery first. This means you simply explain a need for some space from the parent so you can sort out the issues and keep the clear focus on self. When you get to step four, you will know if it is best to make a decision of Therapeutic Resolution, No Contact, or Civil Connection with that parent. Let's take a look at each possible decision.

Therapeutic Resolution:
Some parents with less narcissistic traits are open to family therapy and this can be very effective with the right therapist. It can only be done if the parent is accountable and wants to work through family issues and childhood pain. For those who are lucky to have parents like this, a seasoned family therapist can provide wonderful healing for the entire family.

No Contact:
The decision to go "No Contact" is a big one but is made when the parent is too toxic and never accountable and continues to be abusive to the adult child. It's a sad but necessary solution in many cases. This decision can only be made in sound mind when the adult child has really worked the internal recovery model. Without this internal healing, guilt may be over-burdensome to the adult child and pain not diminished. Sometimes, with recovery, the decision becomes a desire for a civil connect instead.

Civil Connection:
A decision to have a civil connection is really the most common. This is an educated place where the adult child knows and accepts that the connection with the narcissistic parent will not be an emotional bond or relationship. It will be civil, polite, light, and not emotionally close. Because of the internal work done by the adult child, this place of understanding allows the superficial relationship to be ok without expectations. Because the adult child has completed separation, acceptance and grief, and has developed sound boundaries, it is possible then to be "apart of and apart from" at the same time. It is possible to keep your solid sense of self and not get sucked into the family dysfunction that has not changed.

If you are struggling with contact decisions regarding your narcissistic parent or family, please know that recovery does work and makes it all so much easier. See resources below to help you. We are accountable for our own growth and it takes time and effort to accomplish. As the late child psychiatrist, Margaret Mahler points out, "Insofar as the infant's development of the sense of self takes place in the context of the dependency on the mother, the sense of self that results will bear the imprint of her caregiving." That imprint of maternal or paternal narcissism can be re-drawn when the authentic self is brought to the surface and given proper nourishment for re-parenting and growth. What could be more important? This newfound self is what we joyfully give back in the form of true love. The legacy of distorted love is then uprooted and authentic unconditional compassion takes its place. I remain a "hopeaholic" for the sisterhood and brotherhood out there. Love restored that begins within is worth the journey.

Additional Resources:

I've been in therapy for this (and other things), and I've tried the old "Civil Connection." And I believe my mother is one of those really damaged people:
It is important for adult children of narcissistic parents to know that there are truly some parents who are too toxic and are what I call the "untreatables." If someone is abusive and cruel and continues to be without remorse or empathy, it cannot be healthy for anyone to be around that person. That's ok and important to know. Full-blown narcissists do not change, do not realize the need to change, are not accountable or receptive to input from their children.

Currently I'm taking the "No Contact" approach. I can't say it will be that way forever, and I may attempt again to try the "Civil Connect" but I don't really see that as a healthy choice and I don't think (at least at the present time) that I need to hang on to her anymore like I am forever hanging off the edge of a cliff. She keeps prying my fingers loose one at a time, and I keep regaining hold, and we can play that game forever, but I don't see the point right now. It's just a lot of exhausting work for me and a lot of fun for her. lol What do I get out of that?

I don't judge anyone for trying any of the steps. If your mom/dad/significant other has NPD and they want to go to therapy, that would be awesome!

Bliss

Cutting off ties with a parent can be extremely complicated. First off, chances are, the parent will not just shrug it off and say "Alrighty. Whatever's best for you, dear." Second; society will pressure you to 'conform' and fit into the expected mold.

I have not had any real contact with my mother in over 20 years, and when people ask "Hey, how come you never mention your mother? Is she still alive?" most of them are utterly baffled when I respond yes, but I don't speak to her. I think the pressure is more intense for a woman; we are, after all, supposed to have a special bond with our mother. She is supposed to be our life-long friend.

I put up with my mother's druken midnight calls for 2 years before it finally got through her thick skull that I didn't want to see her anymore. There were tantrums, mind games, lies and of course, the classic 'guilt trips'. I guess I was fortunate my parents were divorced. When I ceased contact with my mom, it didn't deprive me of having a relationship with my dad.

Now, I realize he has NPD too. Since I was my mother's scapegoat, I guess it was easier to resent her. After all, I put up with her crap for years as a child. She's the one who both physically and mentally abused me. She used to tell me she hated my father, that she wouldn't have married him if it hadn't been for me (she was 5 months pregnant with me when they married) . Then she'd turn around and tell me I was exactly like him.

When it came to my father, I guess I was his 'golden child'. I look like him, we like the same foods, a lot of the same music, we share the same opinions on many subjects and as long as I agree with him, and cave to his every demand, we're good. Well, we were good. LOL Until 5 years ago when he screwed up his second marriage and for whatever reason, he decided to make me his accomplice by telling me about the other woman. Ugh. Since then it's been a steady downward spiral to the point where I now barely speak to him, see him about 3 times a year and usually end up giving the phone the finger and not picking up whenever he calls (Thank God for call display!!!)

So a few months ago, I discovered NPD, was stunned to discover my father fits the bill to a T. And the more I think about it, so does my mother. So here I am, revisiting my childhood, looking at things from a different angle, going 'aha!' a lot and just shaking my head, thinkind what a bloody mess.

Frankly, these days, I can't deal with my father. I'm grateful he doesn't call very often (I don't call at all--haven't in over 2 years). A few weeks ago, he showed up at my workplace, unannounced, and I was furious, but I couldn't figure out why. Instead of thinking hey, he was in the area and decided to drop by and say hi, that was nice; I wanted to smack him. I kept asking myself why? Then I figured it out. I'm angry because he's completely oblivious to how I feel. Even though our relationship is bordering on non-existant, he has never said anything. To him, all is well in the universe. He's in his new relationship with the other woman (who's younger than me btw--can you say eeeek!) he's living with her and her 2 young children and he's basking in their admiration. He has an entire new source to feed his ego. I realized a year or so ago, he only calls when he wants something or has a few minutes to kill as he's waiting for his girlfriend. The last few times he's called, I answer with; "Hey dad, what can I do for you?" I mean, why beat around the bush? And I find myself mocking his questions or his replies and just basically poking at the dragon's tail, daring him to get angry so I can lash out. He hasn't given me the satisfaction yet.

Do I want to sever all ties with him? I don't know. He's the last member of my pittifully disfunctional family I still have contact with. To cut him off would mean being completely alone. I think I'm afraid of that. But at the same time, our relationship is so unhealthy and I'm certainly not getting anything positive out of it, so what's the point? This is what I'm working on. This is where I am now

PS...I've scheduled an appointment with my shrink, so keep ya posted :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.