More threads by cleofet

cleofet

I am a 57 year old married woman with 4 adult children and 2 grandchildren. I am the caretaker for my 87 year old narcissistic mother.

She moved from PA to LA to live around the corner from us because she has cancer and there is no one there to help her out. She tells everyone that she lives like a dog alone all the time. I have had to limit my time with her because of the way she is. I take her to all of her doctor apt (there are many) and food shopping. I bring her food sometimes but most of the time she doesn’t eat it and says it is because she can’t chew it. Sometimes this may be true but not all the time. I offer her to come to my house for dinner or just to watch TV but she refuses because I have dogs and she said they have germs.

Anyway what I want to do is show her copies of e-mails from other people and my sister and my brother who died 4 years ago about how they feel/felt about her. I know this may seem mean but I am on my last nerve. She always asks me why my sister and her brother do not talk to her and I just say I don’t know that she will need to ask them. I tried for years to make peace in the family before I was able to put a name to my mothers problem. She has asked me on several occasions why I am a rotten daughter and why I don't want to spend time with her and I have told her. She always criticizes everything I do or say, she only talks about depressing things like child molestation and men who cheat on their wives. She knows I am in therapy and makes fun of me for that and for trying to be a good Catholic and she says God sees everything and how can I say I am a good Catholic.. I want her to know that I am not the only person that feels this way and that being she is my mother it hurts me even more.

So I guess I am asking for your input on the idea to show her the proof that others do feel basically the same and that my sister surely does.

:(

{moved here from a blog comment ~ David Baxter}

I feel more and more like something is really wrong with me. I am an adult (57) child of a narsasistic mother who is now 87 and just finished chemo for non-hodgkins lymphoma. I am her caretaker. I now feel I am doing this out of guilt and the belief that I have to do it. She has so much power over me that a good day can instantly turn bad if I so much as talk about her for more then a few minutes dont even talk about when I have to spend time with her taking her to doctors visits or food shoping. I use my husband as a buffer and sometimes she behaves a little better when he is around. I will be very honest in that I really want to tell her and show her how people really feel about her. Instead of them saying to her face what a cute little lady you are or that you are a little pistol they really want to say how tatcless and hurtful she is. I want to show her the e-mails people have sent to me telling me why they no longer talk to her. Maybe then she will see that I am not the only one that feels this way. I feel it ten times more then these people because I am her daughter who she is supposed to love. My sister and my mothers brother her only living sibling have chosen to cut off contact with her and have not talked to her for years. She asks me why they treat her like this a lot and in the past I have told her I don't know that you need to ask them but now I think the time has come for me to tell her the truth wether she believes it or not. I know some will judge this as hateful and maybe it is maybe I am just letting off steam here and will never do it. What does it feel like to have a mother that loves you???????

Your mother is 87 years old she does not have much more time left perhaps in this world i dont' know if telling her all will help anything in that she is not going to change now Perhaps when she was younger yes but now you have to decide weather you can accept her as she is and let her live the rest of her life with just your compassion and care. She will not understand as she has never seen any fault in herself she will only be hurt Just my opinion though Kindness from you i think is what is needed now if you can still do this if not then walk away without the words of pain towards her. take care

cleofet

Thanks for the reply Violet. I know you are probably correct and I most probably won't show her what others have written but sometimes she get me so on the defensive it is hard not to react.
:(

I know she can still push those buttons but you somehow just have to walk away when she does this and change topic or have and escape plan to get out when it is all too much for you. Let her know in subtle ways that you are doing your best and that she needs to appreciate t hat either then that i don't see how trying to change her will work Hugs to you for being so kind to her for doing what is necessary to make whatever time she has left here more bearable. Remember though that you need time out for you too and that somedays you will have to chose you over her okay. hugs

busybee

Hi Cleofet... hmm.. I work in aged care so the scenario you are describing is disturbingly a familiar one. Many families choose not to have anything to do with their Parent due to the many issues that occur during their lives.. Many Parents.. just dont see what the problem is / was.. They have a total lack of insight. They did not have the same benefits as we of the now modern society, either however. Time was filled with chores.. .. so let me see.. at 87 your mum was born in 1923.. so as a child her and her family went through the depression.. by 1943 the war was still on.. did she get married.. was it a forced marriage... was common to marry at very young age.. Women were not treated as equals, or given respect Life was hard.. electricity and labour saving devices were not for everyone... ... 1953 you were born.. what was life like at that time.. .. The korean War.. then vietnam .. did your dad fight in any of these wars.. and if so what was the impact..

It certainly sounds as if your Mum has some unresolved issues.. and at this age she may or may not ever be able to address them. The people of that era.. if depressed.. "pull your socks up and get on with it" Certainly a normal reaction to therapy.

At her age, while she may be even more manipulative and possibly increasingly vindictive to you.. as you are the only one providing her with a back board for her to verbalise her feelings.. even if they are unjust.. she is probably aware of other disabilities and fear of end of life. Her unmet needs ... she has many .. and you have to accept that you cannot be the whole solution to those..

She may also have some cognitive deficits as a result of her failing health and the impact of the cancer treatments. The brain is an amazing organ.. but it is affected by chemical imbalances and deterioration..

look within yourself.. if you choose to be there for her.. only take responsibility for your actions and choose how you wish to react.
She possibly will not or cannot change and has a lack of insight to do so
What purpose will it serve for you to remind her of her failings.. or if people choose not see her..why explore that
Change the subject .. leave the room.. take a walk.. distract her..
Choose to engage .. or not
Try and find a place of happy memories.. wipe the dust off the photo albums.. if you have them
bring yours with you if there are none of hers..
You lead the conversation

When she is being unjust or unkind.. quietly tell her so.. you are doing your best..

At the end of the day thats all any of us can do in this life..

All the best ...

MoGlow

I think my mother has some type of personality disorder. She hasn't been professionally diagnosed.

I think maybe the desire to remind an 87 year old of their feeling is catharsis and closeure. People have told me that some of my vindictive behaviors are wrong, and I am trying to change. I realized that I am very often a spiteful vindictive person who lashes out at anyone who I feel has a better lot in live, because of being raised by someone like my mother. If I can understand this why can't a 87 year old.

Some things need to be said, NO?

Last edited:

CarlaMarie

Do you understand it? Saying so does not make it so. Being raised by a mother who has a personality disorder doesn't make you spiteful and vindictive. Many people who have been raised with a parent with a personality disorder make different choices. How are you trying to change? I am curious? By developing compassion.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think my mother has some type of personality disorder. She hasn't been professionally diagnosed.

I think maybe the desire to remind an 87 year old of their feeling is catharsis and closeure. People have told me that some of my vindictive behaviors are wrong, and I am trying to change. I realized that I am very often a spiteful vindictive person who lashes out at anyone who I feel has a better lot in live, because of being raised by someone like my mother. If I can understand this why can't a 87 year old.

Some things need to be said, NO?

Do you understand it? Saying so does not make it so. Being raised by a mother who has a personality disorder doesn't make you spiteful and vindictive. Many people who have been raised with a parent with a personality disorder make different choices. How are you trying to change? I am curious? By developing compassion.

Exactly. See also http://forum.psychlinks.ca/anger-management/24844-hm-i-really-hate-people-2.html#post181535

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.