More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sorry, Canada — the Leafs are your last hope to bring the Cup home
CBC News
April 21, 2019

cache.php

The Montreal Canadiens were the last Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup in 1993, and it's a good bet the drought will continue. The Winnipeg Jets' elimination at the hands of the St. Louis Blues on Saturday left one lonely Canadian team remaining in the playoffs: the Toronto Maple Leafs.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And since there's no way most Canadiens can cheer for the Leafs, it's either season over over pick a US team populated mostly with Canadian and European players.

Tampa Bay Lightning anyone?

GaryQ

MVP
Actually Tampa Bay was the first team eliminated in 4 games by Columbus. After an almost history making year they made history by finishing first place and out of the playoffs first. Coincidentally to the last seeded team that a while back David said had no right being there (the 16 teams thing)

Fact is once the playoffs start is a gladiator’s game. Guys that can up their game collectively can beat the best.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Wow. I haven't been watching this year but that is a surprise. To me anyway.

And of course it's not just about upping the game. Those late season trades can and often do make a huge difference for some teams.

GaryQ

MVP
I had decided to turn TV on last (think it was Saturday) since I was putting satellite service on seasonal break and saw that Tampa and Pittsburgh were both facing elimination that night down 3-0 in their respective series so watched the games in fast forward and both were eliminated. Checked how things were going after reading this thread earlier Boston and Toronto in game 7 tonight so one of them is going home. I hate them both so much I’m torn between who I want to be eliminated tonight lol Think I hate Toronto more. Hopefully Columbus will take the winner out in round 2 and they in turn out in round 3 for being the cause of Montreal out of the series. Lol i just check results like once a week on NHL.com

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.