More threads by forgetmenot

You said that it may be important to start a maintenance dose in the beginning.

My Dr said to start at low dose 5mg of cipralex then work up to 10. My thoughts are to start at even lower dose of 2.5mg as I have seen how impulsive my sibling ,my daughter were when starting these meds, they would just down whole bottle so they would get effect they wanted .
I know you believe these meds do not cause suicidal tendancy but I've seen it change pt thought patterns . I just want to be well and want to try, god scared that all do you think starting at 2.5mg would be safer for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Improving the Effectiveness of Your Antidepressant

did you discuss these concerns with your doctor? we cannot give medical advice here other than to speak to your doctor directly about these questions. do not start changing doses on your own, but get full feedback from your doctor instead. it is really important to work together with your doctor so he knows what you are taking and how much, and if you have concerns it's your job to let him know about them so that you end up with what is right for you.

thanks my GP says 5mg for 2 weeks then go to 10 so i am not taking more than he suggested i would be taking less. I will talk with the T tommorrow just need to make sure im safe when starting this medication I trust my T he will tell me what to do thanks mary

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Your "T" should not be countermanding medical advice from your physician either, mary. If you have a concern about the dose, talk to your physician about it.

i understand i will talk to GP but i trust my T i will explain to him what GP said i don't know why just need to hear from T everything will be okay thats all maybe he will help me tell GP my concerns

i have seen how impulsive my sibling my daughtr were when starting these meds theywould just down whole bottle so they would get effect they wanted i know you believe these meds do not cause suicidal tendancy but ive seen it change pt thought patterns

From what I've seen, sometimes the medication starts to relieve different symptoms at different rates-- the dull, leaden paralysis of depression can sometimes begin to lift BEFORE the sad and miserable thinking starts to improve. That can lead to situations where the person still feels just as bad emotionally as ever, but they have slightly more energy and motivation than before and are therefore more able to act on the bad thoughts. Eventually, the mood would improve as well, but that's why we have to be patient and give the medication plenty of time to do its work before we declare it unsuccessful... and why the first few days and weeks of taking the medication can be a little tricky. You just have to wait for everything to even out to the same level, and hopefully have some good people to lean on for support in the meantime!

I have been a cipralex 5 weeks now at 10 mg I find now i am very sedated on it at times. Went to my doctors today and he would like to increase it to 15mg now I am so sedated on 10mg but he assures me this groggyness will go away in time So if there is to be hope i am going to start my increase tonight and Hope all goes well.

Trust

Hi Mary!:)

I'm happy to hear that you saw your doctor today and even happier to hear that you are going to follow the doctor's advice by accepting an increase in the dosage of your medication.

But the best thing about your post is your emphasis on HOPE :2thumbs: Good for you Mary!!

I think your hopeful attitude will help you stay on a positive course, and I am hoping right along with you that the new medication dosage will bring improvement for you over time!

You have a terrific evening, Mary!:D:)

thanks Trust I saw my daughter today and she is doing better too. This also gives me some hope she will start getting and accepting the help she needs. Through example like you say I will show her things can get better.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.