More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Talking can help teens solve problems
November 29, 2004
From the CMHA (Fort Frances Branch)

People often try to deal with emotional problems themselves, but usually it isn’t enough. Talking to other people you trust can give you a different perspective on your situation.

They might have some ideas you hadn’t thought of, or it may just be helpful talking to someone who understands what you’re going through.

Often members of your family are the ones who can help you the most, in terms of getting things sorted out and getting better.

Don’t forget to talk to your parents, or extended family members like aunts, uncles, and grandparents (or other trusted adults outside your family), about what’s going on with you.

“My family has supported me during psychotic attacks and suicidal periods, reminding me that they love me and of my responsibilities,” noted one student.

What do your family members want you to know:
•You can talk to us!

We need to know what is going on with you. Even though you may sometimes feel like withdrawing into your room and not talking to us, we love you and want to help you get through the difficulties you’re having.

We can’t help if we don’t know what’s going on.

•Let us help!

When you’re experiencing the pain and suffering that mental health problems can bring, you’ll need the help and support of those around you to keep you going and help you succeed.

Let us be your partners in dealing with your problems, and in talking to school staff and mental health professionals. You can’t do it alone.

•Don’t lose hope!

When you are in the middle of a mental health crisis, things may seem very dark and bleak. Try not to forget that things will get better, and you will feel like your old self again with some help and patience.

It may be hard for us too sometimes, but we’ll do our best to always be there to support and reassure you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.