More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The Highly Sensitive Person and Depression
by Merely Me, Health Central
Monday, May 09, 2011

Have you been described by others as being “too sensitive”? Have you been accused of over reacting to circumstances in which others seem to easily get over it? Do you tend to ruminate over conversations and social situations where you keep replaying the scene in your mind and how you messed up? Do you feel hurt easily by what others say and do? Do you feel self conscious to the point of great anxiety when asked to perform in front of others? Do you feel like an empath from the Star Trek: Next Generation TV series where other people’s moods have the ability to cause you pain or even incapacitation? Do you feel weary from being in constant fight or flight mode? Are you especially vulnerable to stimuli from your environment such as loud sounds, bright lights, strong odors, or other potential sources of over-stimulation?

If you answered yes to a lot of these questions you may be what is known as a Highly Sensitive Person or HSP. It sounds just like another acronym for yet another conjured up mental disorder of the month. Yet in my personal opinion, this label for temperament warrants some merit. Back in 1996 Dr. Elaine Aron wrote about the traits of a personality type she deemed as the “highly sensitive person.” Instead of portraying this type of individual as having some sort of disorder, Doctor Aron simply describes the highly sensitive person as possibly having a different neurological make-up than some. It is estimated that up to 20% of the population are HSP’s.

Some describe highly sensitive people as those who have a sensitive but finely tuned neurological system. This type of wiring can be considered a gift because you may be very empathic, creative and intuitive but there may be a price to pay in also having to battle symptoms of anxiety and depression. If you are an HSP you may be in a constant state of overstimulation from both external and internal stimuli. HSPs are said to be deeply affected by physical and emotional pain.

Knowing myself for all these years, I can honestly say that I fit right in with this description. I feel that having this type of temperament has been both a blessing and a curse. I feel that on one hand I am a deeply caring and compassionate individual with a lot of drive and passion. I can feel the lofty highs of joy and exuberance. But I can also feel the extreme lows of despair and sorrow. There are days when I feel like an exposed nerve, unprotected and raw. The world seems especially difficult to navigate as I am always attempting to feel safe but also pursue my goals. There are times when I physically and emotional shut down as an innate protection strategy from becoming overwhelmed.

I think a lot of factors influence whether or not you are a highly sensitive person. I believe that early childhood traumas can contribute to having the mental wiring where you are in constant fight or flight mode. People who have faced numerous life stressors are probably going to be a little or a lot more sensitive than others. Some of us may have both a biological and genetic predisposition to approach the world more warily than other people. Not all HSP’s are introverts but a good many can be described as shy and socially anxious. It is my opinion that people who are highly sensitive may also have what is called a sensory processing disorder. A sensory processing disorder would explain why some HSP’s have difficulty regulating sensory information and find some stimuli aversive or painful such as loud sounds or bright lights.

If you are interested to find out whether or not you are a Highly Sensitive Person, Doctor Elaine Aron, author of The Highly Sensitive Person, has a self test included on her website. Please know that this self assessment is not a diagnostic test but merely a tool for greater self awareness.

In the weeks to come we will be discussing some strategies for tailoring your depression and anxiety treatment for those of you who are highly sensitive people. In the meantime I want to leave you with some questions you may want to ask yourself in identifying triggers for your emotional and physical discomfort.

Highly Sensitive Person Assessment
  1. Which social situations cause you the most distress or anxiety? Which conditions of a social situation make you feel more at ease and safe?
  2. Which aspects of your close relationships cause you the most discomfort? Is there anything which helps make the discomfort or anxiety more tolerable? When do you feel the most calm and unstressed with friends or family?
  3. Which elements of your work make you feel the most fearful or anxious? Are there certain conditions at work which put you more at ease?
  4. Which sensory factors cause you the most distress? Are there certain sounds, odors, tactile sensations, visual clutter, bright lights, or other environmental stimuli which cause you feel over-stimulated? Are there any sensory experiences which make you feel calm?
  5. Which internal variables make you feel the most stressed? Is it ruminating over past events, is it the feeling of loss, feelings of inadequacy, or worries of being judged? Are there any thoughts which contribute to feeling at peace or mentally well?
The key ingredient for mental wellness for the highly sensitive person is balance. You need to find ways to desensitize yourself to internal and external stimuli which cause you pain and discomfort. It is no easy matter. Save your answers to the questions posed above as we will be using this information to come up with strategies to help you cope.

For more information about being an HSP or highly sensitive person please refer to these resources and articles:

Websites about HSP or related conditions:
Support Groups:
Articles on HSP and related conditions:

Wow! I read this with great interest!

I think, partially at least, my mother being a Narcissist may have honed my ability to anticipate people's needs, watch body language and facial expressions, and my mother did often accuse me of taking on other people's feelings and often seemed frustrated that I was so worried about other people's feelings... It helps when you have a persistent trainer! lol I notice though that I was much more attuned to people when I was a teen (although I still am to a certain degree today), so it could be that since I am less influenced now by my mother I'm finally relaxing a bit and not so hyper-aware. So at least I can feel something positive came out of that negative experience... lol I don't know if this was just some kind of thing I made up in my head or not, but if I was massaging someone's arm I thought I could 'sense' where it needed kneading. Cats and dogs throng around me, even the ones who normally don't 'like' people, and I can get them to completely relax! lol I still get lots of migraines, although they are more stress/hormone/barometric-weather-related...

I don't know though, sounds kind of silly now.

I gotta read this a few more times... lol

MMmmmm... pepperoni....

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Copyright, Elaine N. Aron, 1996

Instructions: Answer each question according to the way you personally feel. Check the box if it is at least somewhat true for you; leave unchecked if it is not very true or not at all true for you.

Scoring:
If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.

If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

There are 27 statements that you mark with a check for true/mostly true or do not check if false/mostly false:

Okay my husband got 15 true and I got 25 true. And the majority for both of us were "mostly true."

Anyone else care to post results? Should be around 20% of us that are highly sensitive! lol But perhaps because this is a psychological forum, it would be a higher concentration since a lot of us may have experienced things that made us more sensitive to things.

Bumblebean

Are you looking for a self-assessment test?
Here is one from the Mayo-clinic - I've not done it myself, but I think the Mayo is a reputable place and would trust it.
Depression self-assessment - MayoClinic.com

Hi gardens, I'm looking for more information on the connection between HSP and depression. My doctor and psychiatrist say I have depression and anxiety and maybe PTSD, but since reading about HSP I wonder how it ties in. Maybe if I understand more, it will help. I'll look at this test and see what they have to say. Thank you.

BB

---------- Post Merged at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:34 AM ----------

So many times other people's mood can bring me down or make me feel wired. People like to tell me their problems, I don't know why because I'm not a wise person or anything, and it's like I'm feeling what they're feeling. It's hard to say no but I sometimes think I would do better if maybe they didn't do that so much. It's to where I hardly ever read email any more because if I see one that's about someone's problems, I feel overwhelmed straight away and sometimes just walk away crying.

Ha ha I'm starting to feel overwhelmed already from just reading and posting here this morning. It's time for my medicines so I'm going to take them and go lie down in a dark room for a while :sleeping:

BB

---------- Post Merged at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Oh ya I fogot, I did the self test and it said my score = severe depression. I don't know, because some of those things could be just as much about my pain problems because they make me tired and stop me from doing things. I know I have depression, but things get muddled up a lot.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
HSPs do tend to be more vulnerable to depression, anxiety disorders, etc.

As for the online tests, they are for screening or informational purposes only. In particular, they all tend to overestimate the objective severity of symptoms, although they may well reflect your subjective feelings or perceptions.

Bumblebean

As for the online tests, they are for screening or informational purposes only. In particular, they all tend to overestimate the objective severity of symptoms, although they may well reflect your subjective feelings or perceptions.

That makes sense. Also, they are pretty much yes and no answers and don't take other things into account. I have to say I only took it out of curiosity, but it was interesting. Is that kind of thing helpful for people who are wondering if they have depression or whatever?

I wish I wasn't such a slow reader, I really want to learn more about HSP and if or how it ties in with my depression and anxiety. I think it could help me learn more coping skills and maybe know myself a bit better.

Thanks

BB

gardens

My GP makes me fill out a depression check-off list every time I go see her. It's a way for her and I to see improvements and backslides. I find it helpful that way - you can see progress over time, even if you don't really feel any.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.