More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I'm just wondering what strategies some people use to handle really strong triggers? I don't think avoiding them is the right thing to do, cause I can't avoid them all the time, and by avoiding them I'm not learning how to deal with them.

Any suggestions on how to handle the intense feelings and anxiety / panic that triggers cause?

For me I deconstructed how I react to stress; physically, emotionally and how it effects my internal dialogue which indicates my perspective state of mind.

What I found is that my breathing and heartrate ect increased and I go into fight or flight mode by anticipating the worst to be prepared. I examined how this affects me by writing out my thoughts unrestricted when stressed and examining the changes in my thought patterns compared to my normal calm state when re-reading what I'd wrote (which I now reach by the time I am finished writing).

So now when I am triggered by whatever stress I use meditative breathing techniques from martial arts to calm myself physically which allows me to think clearly and deal with things from an emotionally balanced perspective.

I do this with a couple of montra's like; "If I lose my head then I can't use it.", "I can't control or always predict what happens but I can control myself." and "If I feed doubt I can't starve hope."

when i feel the panic i too talk to myself i just keep saying over and over your ok everything is ok and i also breath in the box slow breaths It does not take all the pain away but it keeps me from running away with the thoughts.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.