More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What Do You Need To Hold On To And Let Go Of? ? A Creative Exercise
by Carolyn Mehlomakulu, Creativity in Therapy
October 16, 2017

Hold-On-To-and-Let-Go-Title-Card.jpg

An important part of growth is being able to define what we need and want to have in our lives and what we need to let go of or keep out. Of course, the next part of the process ? actually making these changes ? is where the real hard work is done. But we cannot move toward a different life until we start to define how things need to be different.

This is a creative exercise that I have found helpful for myself and with clients to explore what needs to change, what needs to stay the same, and what we need to guard against.

Directive
Think about what you need to keep or hold on to in your life and what you need to let go of or keep out of your life. Find a way to represent this on the page with words and images.

I often offer a few suggested formats that clients have enjoyed. When I do this directive in group, I show a template for each and then let the group members choose what direction to go. And I always offer the choice that they may find a different format that feels right for them instead.

Hands
Trace your right and your left hand on the page. On one hand, put the things that you need to hold on to. On the other, put the things that you need to let go of. Develop your art piece further however you wish.

Hands-Hold-On-To-and-Let-Go-1.jpg

Heart
Draw a large heart on the page. On the inside, put the things that you want to keep in your heart. On the outside, put the things that you need to keep out of your heart.

Heart-Keep-and-Keep-Out-1024x791.jpg

Mandala/Circle
Draw a large circle on the page. On the inside, put the things you need to keep or bring in to your life. On the outside, put the things that you need to keep out of your life.

Mandala-Keep-In-and-Keep-Out-1024x790.jpg

• How strong is your boundary between what you want and don?t want in your life and does that boundary need to change?
  • Which things have you already been able to work on and which ones would be new for you?
  • Which things do you expect will be the hardest to let go of or keep out?
  • How will your life or emotional well-being change if you are able to keep and/or let go of these things?
  • What experiences and/or people have brought some of these things to your life?
  • What are the next steps that you need to take to move toward having what you have represented?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.