More threads by ladylore

ladylore

Account Closed
A thought provoking question was posed as the last sentence of this article: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/showthread.php?t=16488

One example in the article:
One night, a nurse named Ann, who had that nurse’s knack for being crisp and caring at the same time, looked sternly at me and said, “You know, your mother could live another 20 years. And if she does, you won’t.”

It intrigued me, so I thought I would pose it again here for all of you.

What wise words have made a difference for you?

Some wise words I have been told, for example is: "You are the driver of your own bus. You allow who gets on."

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
~Take care of yourself - because no one will do it for you.

~People will sometimes want to throw you under the bus - don't giving them the tools to do so...

~Don't complain, don't explain.

Great thread Robyn .

When I was eleven a school friend wrote the following in my autograph book , and this so impressed me that I never forgot it.

Love many ,
trust few ,
paddle you own canoe .

The next one was a lovely lady , who quite simply said

"Your life begins now! "

something I forget all too easily .

Yuray

I don't know, because when I heard those words, I stopped misbehaving. In retrospect however, I'm sure it wouldn't have been chocolate cake!

I don't know, because when I heard those words, I stopped misbehaving. In retrospect however, I'm sure it wouldn't have been chocolate cake!

we now have the magic phrase for you if you misbehave Yuray ! :D

Now back to the subject of this nice thread .

A friend once said that if you ask for something 'a no is always there, but a yes is there also , so take the risk .'
and this truly works as a confidence booster , I do remember these words when I have to or need to ask for something.

Atlantean

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

It taught me to learn from my mistakes regarding people the first time, and not to allow the same mistakes to be repeated.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Great thread Robyn .

When I was eleven a school friend wrote the following in my autograph book , and this so impressed me that I never forgot it.

Love many ,
trust few ,
paddle you own canoe .

The next one was a lovely lady , who quite simply said

"Your life begins now! "

something I forget all too easily .

All amazing words that are definitely to be taken to heart.

~Don't complain, don't explain.

I love that. I think I have a new mantra. '-)

ladylore

Account Closed
"You don't need to push the river"

This was said to me a few years back, but I have always remembered it. It reminds me to be patient, wait to see what happens. Most importantly, it reminds me of what I have control over and what I don't.

Banned

Banned
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

And, from my previous spiritual director who was an incredibly wise man:

Something is always better than nothing.

I think I draw on that the second one at least once a day. It keeps me moving, and helps me look for the little successes, not just the big wins.

Retired

"Sometimes you're the bug. Sometimes you're the windshield."

lyrics from a great song (inverted, though)!

The words that I am frequently reminded of:

Dont expect too much, and you won't be disappointed

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
"Don't look at me as your saviour, because every day you see me, you will leave disappointed. There is no silver bullet cure for what you have." - My psychiatrist

This may sound like odd wise words to post here, but he pegged me straight away. I was looking to him thinking he could cure me, that he would make it all go away. Getting this false idea out of my head, helped me to focus more on the issues at hand, rather than thinking he would give me a magic pill and things would suddenly be different

From my therapist:

If you live a facade long enough it becomes reality.

From an old girlfriend about bad marriages:

You will know when you have played all your cards...

From my grandmother about money:

When they knows that you have it, they comes and gets it.

TG

HBas

“I care not what others think of what I do,
but I care very much about what I think of what I do!
That is character!”

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”

“The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything.”

Theodore Roosevelt

All inspired me to get off my bum and take the first step in such a way that I would be proud of me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If your going to do something do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
My aunt who i lived with said this to me all time.
This line although it sounds harsh help me become someone successful.

amastie

"You don't need to push the river"

This was said to me a few years back, but I have always remembered it. It reminds me to be patient, wait to see what happens. Most importantly, it reminds me of what I have control over and what I don't.

All the words shared have been valuable. This quote in particular struck me and I remembered its effect on me in the past as well. It still resonates strongly with me. When I ask myself why, I can see me not simply trying to push the river but actually laying claim to being responsible for its course. Then I remember that I am in the river. The river is not cointained in me. Ego-defying stuff!

...look for the little successes..
Yes!
How hard the simple!

ladylore

Account Closed
I can see me not simply trying to push the river but actually laying claim to being responsible for its course.

I know this one well Amastie. I have also been known to try to change the course of that river - even thou little ole me is dealing with white water rapids.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.