More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
10 Steps to Lower Anxiety & Become Empowered!
By Dr. Aletta
August 26, 2013

1. Knowledge is power. To tame anxiety the more you know about how your brain works the better. So here’s a little neuro-psychology lesson.

brain.jpg

What you need to know is that the older part of our brains, the inner bit in the middle, is called the limbic system. Within that is the amygdala. For our purposes it’s enough to know that scientists believe that everything we need to keep ourselves, and our species, alive originates here. That means drives like the drive to eat, appetite, to have sex, procreate, and fear, to keep us vigilant of danger.

Our frontal lobes are in the newest part of the brain, the neo-cortex. Our ability to judge, to filter out right from wrong, to determine appropriate from inappropriate behavior, real vs. unreal, reasonable vs. unreasonable resides here. It’s the part that keeps us civilized and steady, among other things.

Behavioral scientists theorize that when we are threatened we respond on a primitive, non-thinking level first, because survival is more important than being right or wrong. The amygdala sends the signal that ‘there’s a nasty threat out there!’ to the adrenal glands. Adrenalin is released into the blood, kicking off the autonomic nervous system response, revving up the entire body to either run away, flight, or duke it out, fight, with whatever is about to kill us.
Anxiety occurs when this system goes into overdrive because there is no where for the body to run and nothing for it to fight. The threat is abstract. What’s firing off the system are scary ideas, not a saber-toothed tiger. All that adrenalin and no quick way to metabolize it causes anxiety.

Medical and non-medical treatments for anxiety are all about keeping the amygdala from running amuck and the frontal lobes engaged.

2. Know the Bad News: The bad news is if you have been dealing with anxiety for a long time and you have a family history of people who have anxiety [or depression], chances are you will be dealing with anxiety in some way for the rest of your life.

3. Know the Good News: Anxiety is very treatable. Once you have good treatment that empowers you and you learn skills to manage the anxiety, (and keep your frontal lobes engaged) it can never hurt you so much, ever again. Really!

4. Immediate relief may be as easy as learning to breathe deeply, getting enough good quality sleep, cutting out alcohol and caffeine for a while, and starting an exercise regime. Many patients have reported that just making these healthy changes reduced their anxiety significantly.

5. Take responsibility: In his book 10 Days to Self-Esteem, Dr. Burns says only you can make yourself feel bad. This is a powerful concept. Anxiety is highly correlated with low self-esteem, lack of assertiveness and people-pleasing. I have not met one person with anxiety disorder who wasn’t really nice. If they didn’t care so much what others thought, they wouldn’t have so much anxiety. Doesn’t seem fair, does it?

Remember the flight attendant who instructs you to put the oxygen mask on yourself first before helping those dependent on you. What good are you to others if you keel over, caring for them? Give yourself permission to take the starring role of your life. That’s not conceited, that’s healthy.

6. Use an anxiety thermometer and take your temperature throughout the day. Zero can be calm as a cat taking a nap. Ten could be full blown panic attack mode. Then rate the numbers in between.

As you feel the anxiety blip up or down take note of what is going on and what you’re thinking.This way you may be able to notice patterns, like always spiking up to 8 when it’s time for a staff meeting, or going down to 2 when American Idol is on. Over time this exercise will help you recognize your triggers.

7. Fore warned is fore armed. Your triggers are whatever causes your anxiety to blip up to six or higher. Triggers can be people, places, things, ideas, anything. Knowing what your triggers are can be a big step to developing an effective strategy to confront the anxiety. Think of healthy adaptive responses to your triggers, such as giving yourself a pep talk before going into that staff meeting. Become aware of the yellow flags that can warn you anxiety is coming and you can nip it in the bud.

8. Learn about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. CBT is scientifically proven effective in the treatment of anxiety and it’s close sister in mood disorders, depression. Built on the simple premise that our thoughts influence how we feel, we can use CBT to raise our awareness of how harmful our automatic thoughts can really be. A useful book to learn more is When Panic Attacks: The Drug Free Therapy That Can Change Your Life, by David Burns.

Using these tools is easier if you have the support and guidance of a therapist who knows CBT.

9. Get smart.
Anxiety thrives on ignorance and has a nasty habit of feeding on itself. Once we’re anxious we get scared of getting more anxious which causes more anxiety. Avoidance and ignorance works to reduce anxiety in the short term but it always comes back unless confronted. Avoidance never resolves the anxiety, it just puts it behind a blind. Once we face our fears using CBT tools and knowledge, we become empowered, so that the next time they make an appearance we can think, “Oh, you again, well, I’ve faced you before and I’m ready, so I can face you again.”

10. Remember #1! It’s all about keeping your frontal lobes engaged. As long as we can keep thinking realistically and reasonably we can reduce that crazy, useless, flight/fight autonomic nervous system response otherwise known as anxiety. This is a lot to be hopeful about!

GDPR

GDPR
In hindsight,I realize I have always had anxiety and panic,even as a small child. You would think that by now I would have learned how to manage it.

I almost always have a low level of anxiety going on.It's like it's always there,waiting for the slightest thing to throw it into high gear. My therapist has said I need to learn how to live with it,which I am working on.

I think maybe I try too hard to fight it.Would it better to just accept that I have an anxiety disorder and I am going to feel anxious instead of trying so hard to not have it at all? I really beat myself up for it sometimes,I get so frustrated that I haven't been able to get rid of it after this many years.

I feel like it's something I'm supposed to keep fighting instead of surrendering to. Like I'm not really trying to better myself if I'm not fighting it. I think I have more anxiety about having anxiety than I do the actual anxiety itself.

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:36 PM ----------

...I hope that made sense....

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It does make sense!

They do find that a certain tendency towards anxiety can tend to be a bit of a lifelong thing - more like a 'trait', if you will - and yes, many many people can find themselves trying to 'get away from it' and make sure that these feelings never, ever happen....

While we do want to work on things that are making our life really hard, and we certainly want to do the known things that can help us with a particular disorder, expecting/trying to make a certain feeling never ever happen, and having a big negative judgment on ourselves 'until we are 100% free of it and totally perfect', would be a form of 'emotional perfectionism' which tends not to be the best thing for us...

A mindfulness or ACT perspective would be more along the lines of allowing feelings, not resisting or avoiding; being the 'watcher' or the 'observer'.... It can certainly be confusing though, definitely, because there are different modalities and tools that we may use concurrently. I sometimes do find it confusing, trying to decide, when is it that I want to use CBT to challenge thoughts? And when is it that I want to use meditation, mindfulness, ACT perspectives?

(Actually, if someone has some good rough advice on that, it would be a great question to have an answer to....??)

_____

In terms of our overall attitude though, I do know that what we want is to work towards a higher level of wellness in the known ways that we can do so, while at the same time, as much as we can, cultivating an attitude of acceptance/caring towards ourselves in the place we are at and what we are currently experiencing at this time.

Those two things together are our best bet in terms of progress and wellness, and the other benefit is it can allow us a level of feeling good in life even as we continue struggling along wherever we are at. :)

mudpuppy

It makes sense to me, too.

I find that things like breathing, mindfulness, and meditation are akin to short-term first aid, while CBT is more of a long-term strategy to keep things under control. I simply can't be coherent enough for the "cognitive" part of CBT until I've done something to derail the anxiety spiral and get the "OMG!OMG!OMG!" in my brain to shut up so I can think. Gotta stop the bleeding before dealing with the broken bone!

:)

Dalia

hello, just read your message, and just quickly wanted to say, that i just behind words completely feel the same way as if i am stressing about the anxiety more rather than the thing i am anxious about. also, just wanted to add, that for me anxiety comes and goes, my treatment of it is, if its there for longer time, acceptance of it, surrendering to it, if i manage to accept it, it than goes pretty much immediately (the power of acceptance and surrender is behind words; with my current knowledge of the world, i have not come across anything more powerful than that). but what happens after that is i get used to not being anxious, and than something triggers me, and i get anxious, and more so anxious about that my anxiety dared to come back. i than wrestle again, until i manage to accept the fact that i can not accept the fact that i still get anxious from time to time. the definition that i took from eckhart tolle book and use for myself to see if i have accepted, is you have accepted what is when you no longer have to ask this question, but than also, once you accepted you just know, the anxiety simply goes, and there is this ....i dont know what would be thebest description, but its just sort this feeling of easiness or peacefulness, even muscles relax (in fact sometimes i initiate my acceptance by firstly relaxing my muscles, thats not to say it always completely helps to surrender to what is, but if it doesnt, you have at least minimized the tension within your body, cos when you anxious, just pay attention to your muscles - you will find them tensed as crazy (actually if you not seemingly anxious, you will probably find your muscles tensed anyway)). so acceptance is when i dont question WHY it is happening to me again. also another lesson to keep in mind (in the beginning i used to get very confused over it, and even sometimes i still do). acceptance does not mean you stop taking an action to help yourself in whatever form you need to provide this help to yourself, to me it means you no longer anxious about being anxious, you just anxious, and the wondrous thing is that on its own and upclose anxiety doesnt feel that bad. hope that helps, i just so sympathize with what you go through. take care

p.s. btw, another set of words i always remember to say to myself during the time of the storm, is something that a psychiatrist david hawkings (watched his video on youtube) said YOU CAN LEARN TO BE AT PEACE WITH NOT PEACEFUL STATE OF MIND.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.