More threads by Jesse910

Let me just say initially, that I am not proud of how I reacted yesterday. I knew better but it was like watching myself from the outside in.

When I was 7 years old, I was molested by a teenaged girl and I never talked about it until long after I became an adult. And, I grew up with a mother who gave me everything she could except affection. My Mom hugged me for the first time when I was 19 years old and I was in bad shape then. Bluntly stated, I am triggered by women who get too close to me, who try and hug me, reach out and touch me, or who make me feel like I'm suffocating. I can only handle women if I'm initiating. In contrast, I feel very comfortable around nurturing men because I feel safe enough to drop my guard a bit with the exception of my brother who terrifies me for reasons not associated with anything physical.

I had medical procedure done yesterday. It took 14 minutes. My husband accompanied me as he always does because he's my security blanket. I was very anxious because although I had read about it, I hadn't gone through the process and I had not factored in women. I let the male nurse know that I needed a male nurse and no women around me. As long as the nurse was there, I was fine. The minute the women nurses showed up, I freaked out. One of them was demanding information from me that my husband was very capable of providing, but she wanted it from me and I just went blank. Out of my mouth flew this barrage of words that let folks know I did not and would not allow a woman to touch me. In those moments, I was terrified. Over the years, I have cultivated a few women friends who understand and accept me as is. Once those women left, I was able to calm down for the procedure as the male nurse continued to talk to me and I even shook his hand to thank him. While the procedure was going on, not one female touched me. They respected my position. I knew they were there and I held my ground. I told my therapist (a woman) about this when I saw her today. She and I have had tense encounters. However, I know that she's there for me.

I need to get past this and I'm afraid. My fear is completely irrational and it leaves me feeling helpless.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Feel for you, how difficult these things are. Glad you were able to get the procedure done.

However please do not be angry at yourself or think less of yourself for the challenge of PTSD... You still were able to get the treatment that you needed done and maybe it is not realistic or compassionate to yourself to expect yourself to feel entirely like someone who has not experienced the things you have?

It would not be realistic or compassionate to expect a diabetic person to eat sugary foods freely without a second thought the same as another person can - how different is this? We travel along the journey as best we can for the place that we are, and we commit to the journey. That is something to feel absolutely proud of and happy with. I am not sure how many folks with this condition get to a place where their experience of life is absolutely entirely identical to a person who has never experienced the condition?

Proud of you!!

Jesse you made it quite clear your fears to the male nurse so when the female nurse came in she should have back down before you became upset ok.
You handled the situation the best you could and your fears well they are not irrational really your fears protect you when you feel threatened
If the nurse was doing her job she should have been aware hun of your anxiety and asked the male nurse to do interview

I am glad you stayed and got the procedure done you were very strong to do that hugs

Thank you both for your reflections MHJ and Forgetmenot. I've been trying to figure this out for far too long. You've allowed me to see myself through a different lens. I'm one of those people who ruminates over a situation until I can handle it. And, you're right. I did let the male nurse know what I required and that female nurse pushed the envelope past my comfort zone. At times, what is needed is more acceptance, listening, less judgment in both camps - mine and theirs.

Ftbwgil

you did good... very good as you stood up for yourself. Could you imagine if you had not said anything and just suffered along... That would not have been good for you. Congratulations you asserted yourself and took care of yourself.
You should be proud of yourself... I am very proud of you

Merry Xmas:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.