More threads by [talon]

[talon]

Androphobia is a fear of men. I'm 15 years old, and I don't think this is just hormones, because many girls my age don't have this problem. I can admire males from a distance and I can find them attractive, but I just don't want to get near them. I have one male friend, but he's not the most masculine guy, and I've known him my whole life. My father has always lived with me. I am very uncomfortable around men that I don't know well, including my psychiatrist (I've only known him for a couple months).. I have no idea where this fear came from. It's more than shyness. I feel like every man I meet is going to rape me, because it really seems that way. In middle school, there were some guys who would go behind me and do nasty things. The guy friend I have now even says dirty things to me and comments on my boobs, but I'm not scared of him. I'm scared of the creepy old men who talk to me when I go to the store alone, also, sometimes I get approached by strange men in cars and so I am afraid to go alone. When I say I can't go there alone my parents call me childish. My friend's mom's boyfriend touched my thigh and that's turned me against him. I can't stand speaking to a man on the phone if I can't see his face. It really bothers me. I recall my aunt's boyfriend saying weird things to me that I found disturbing. But I have no memory of being really abused sexually by a male.

This is affecting my life because I can't be alone with any male besides my friend or my dad, when, sometimes, I have to. Also, how am I supposed to ever be in a romantic relationship or in the future or even FRIENDSHIPS with the opposite sex if I am like this.

this is something to be worked through in counseling. it may seem like you'll never be able to get over this but you can. it doesn't mean you'll feel this way for the rest of your life. things can change.

Noughts

After reading your post... I think I have a guess on where your androphobia originated from. All those negative past experiences...

I agree that you should try counseling. I remember one-on-one worked the best for me...

I am 36 and I have fear of men.It was b/c of my father who raped my sisters and almost was raped by him. I married at the age of 21 and really got afraid of men as my ex-husband was violent and abusive! I have had nothing to do with men since! I am sexually attracted to them, but fear getting pregnant as I had to help raise my ADHD/bipolar niece. I am afraid of having kids with mental illness due to a lot of depression and bipolar in the family!
Because I am afraid of men, I don't have kids!LOL
I am always the woman that wives don't worry about their husbands!

Men have cooties,
prayerbear

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.