More threads by rahnie440

rahnie440

Can long term use of antipsychotic medication lower your cognitve function? I have been taking Olanzapine for years now and was wondering if that could be a contributer to the severe brain fog I have been feeling as of late.

I've never taken one long enough to know. I have heard people say that before so something's causing it...are you screened for the health complications it can cause? Sometimes health problems cause a decline in your cognitive abilities. Lithium causes me CRS but did that from the beginning. I suggest you talk to your doc about it...they might change your dose or something.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's more likely that the conditions for which the medications are prescribed are responsible for any cognitive decline. Have you talked to your doctor(s) about this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes, there is a considerable amount of research on brain changes over time with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc., although of course most of it is in professional psychiatry or psychology journals.

Are those studies done on people on meds, off meds or both? I thought those were on untreated individuals but not sure. I also read that lithium is supposed to have a protective effect on the brain...protecting from effects of stress and whatnot...imagine that! I wish it didn't cause side effects like CRS...but I'll take that over the stress.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This research goes back several years so it's really a huge depository of information and not always easy to replicate but I believe it has included both medicated and unmedicated individuals.

busybee

There is much research that is done regarding antipsychotic medication and the brain. I have no medical knowledge as such, however I have seen the side affects of antipsychotic medications used as chemical restraint on residents in aged care facilities. These residents are already suffering significant cognitive deficits. These drugs can be used to modify behaviours, and to create a safe space or place for other residents and staff. However, the side affects that these drugs have on people already confused and suffering significant cognitive function, is to slowly pare away at their ability to maintain their independence, to initiate an activity that they were previously able to do. It affects their ability to stay alert, to mobilize, and increases the risk of other health related medical problems.

At the end of the day, you must believe that the doctor or medical practitioner who is monitoring you for the prescribed medication is acting in your best interest.

If you have any concerns speak to them about any side affects. They can only diagnose with the information that you give them.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks for that reminder, busybee. There is increasing concern in North America at least about the over-medication of the elderly. In particular, elderly patients often don't require and don't do well on the "standard" doses of medications, a fact that some physicians may not know.

If you have an elderly relative who seems groggy all the time, raise this with his or her physician.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.