More threads by npd

npd

Love food, cooking it, eating it...mmm

Love Chinese, Indian, Ethiopian, Lebanese and American Soul Food the most.
Chow Mein,Shawarma,Butter Chicken, Ribs, basically all the Ethiopian "stews" are my favs.
I haven't tried a lot of authentic Italian(at least at the right places) so want to do that.
Not a lot of experience with Japanese either.
French.
That's all on my to do.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I haven't tried a lot of authentic Italian(at least at the right places) so want to do that.
Not a lot of experience with Japanese either.
French.
That's all on my to do.
If it doesn't have gravy and cheese curds, is it really cuisine, or just food? :D

Personally, I consider roasting broccoli or adding a new omelet ingredient to be adventurous.

npd

If it doesn't have gravy and cheese curds, is it really cuisine, or just food? :D

Personally, I consider roasting broccoli or adding a new omelet ingredient to be adventurous.

lol are you suggesting you like your food simple? Nothing wrong with that. for most part, i like it like that too. soul food is really simple. yesterday i had fried chicken, macncheese and friend beans. yum. Not too healthy but i rarley eat unhealthy.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yes, if anything takes more than 10 minutes to prepare, it's not happening :) So I like simple stuff like oatmeal, omelets, greek yogurt with walnuts and fruit, pita bread with hummus, salads with avocado and hard-boiled eggs, etc. I think I will eventually start spending more time cooking, like making soups such as beer and cheese potato soup. As a vegetarian, my favorite type of cuisine is Greek.

When I watch TV, I do like watching the Food Network channel, especially when they add an element of travel to it. My favorite are the programs where they search for the best ice cream in the country or the best hot dogs, etc. And on the Travel Channel, I used to watch chef Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations. I liked it so much I read his book, though I rarely watch TV now.

npd

Yes, if anything takes more than 10 minutes to prepare, it's not happening :) So I like simple stuff like oatmeal, omelets, greek yogurt with walnuts and fruit, pita bread with hummus, salads with avocado and hard-boiled eggs, etc. I think I will eventually start spending more time cooking, like making soups such as beer and cheese potato soup. As a vegetarian, my favorite type of cuisine is Greek.

When I watch TV, I do like watching the Food Network channel, especially when they add an element of travel to it. My favorite are the programs where they search for the best ice cream in the country or the best hot dogs, etc. And on the Travel Channel, I used to watch chef Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations. I liked it so much I read his book, though I rarely watch TV now.

I see.

Indian and Ethiopian cuisine have some great veggie options.

I don't know if you are familiar with Ethiopian cuisine at all but its all "stew" or "curry" based. They have totally veggie platters available and they are really good. Its also cool because you don't use utensils, you eat with your hands.(you use the bread called "injera" to scoop up the food. (veggie platter picture)

About 50% of Indian people eat a totally veggie diet, so they have a lot of options. One of my favorite things are samosas, meat based or veggie samosas. Paneer. Chana Masala. etc(chana masala picture)

Attachments

• veggieethiopian.jpg
    veggieethiopian.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 3
  • chana_masala_pot.jpg
    chana_masala_pot.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:cool2: I've tried some Indian food before but not samosas. Last year, I went to an out-of-town place called the Book Lover's Cafe that makes an "Ethiopian inspired" platter (pictured below), but I made the mistake of ordering something more ordinary :(

Book Lovers Cafe.jpg

Have you made Ethiopian food at home yet?

npd

Have you made Ethiopian food at home yet?

I have not. I am fairly new to it. I've had it about three times. I eat meat so i usually have some meat based dishes as well..but its really quiet good. (and yeah, its not all stew based, but mostly) I can't recognize what's on that plate except the injera bread lol

I do cook though. I can make pretty awesome Chow Mein.(my dad says its the best food he's ever eaten lol) I can make a nice indian curry. I can make some nice pasta dishes.
Often though i like the simpler stuff too. A good sandwich works..pulled pork for example..mmm Sausages. Pizza. Shawarma. Beans.

npd

I haven't. I was hooked on to Gordon Ramsay's shows though, Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. Watched those extensively.

If you don't like the yelling and like more calm stuff..I also watched a great 3 part mini series on India, its culture and food, really special and remarkable stuff. Called"Ramsay's Great Escape".

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I also watched a great 3 part mini series on India, its culture and food, really special and remarkable stuff. Called"Ramsay's Great Escape".

That does look good.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.