More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The Benefits of Therapy by Phone
New Tork Times Blog
September 22, 2008

Phone-based therapy can be less hassle for patients. (Peter DaSilva for the New York Times)Most therapists schedule face-to-face meetings with their patients. But new data suggest that therapy by phone may be a better option for some patients.

It has long been a concern among therapists that nearly half of their patients quit after only a few sessions. As a result, a number of health care providers and employee-assistance programs now offer therapy services by phone.

A new analysis of phone therapy research by Northwestern University shows that when patients receive psychotherapy for depression over the phone, more than 90 percent continue with it. The research showed that the average attrition rate in the telephone therapy was only 7.6 percent, compared to nearly 50 percent in face-to-face therapy. The researchers also found that telephone therapy was just as effective at reducing depressive symptoms as face-to-face treatment.

?The problem with face-to-face treatment has always been very few people who can benefit from it actually receive it because of emotional and structural barriers,? said David Mohr, professor of preventive medicine at the Feinberg School of Medicine and lead author of the study, published in the September issue of Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. ?The telephone is a tool that allows the therapists to reach out to patients, rather than requiring that patients reach out to therapists.?

Among patients who say they want psychotherapy, only 20 percent actually show up for a referral, and half later drop out of treatment.

Dr. Mohr said he began using phone therapy because he was working with patients who had multiple sclerosis who could not get to a therapist?s office. Some patients don?t have regular transportation to a therapist?s office or can?t take time off work or away from their families. In addition, a patient with depression may simply not be capable of getting themselves to the therapist?s office on a regular basis.

?One of the symptoms of depression is people lose motivation,? Dr. Mohr said. ?It?s hard for them to do the things they are supposed to do. Showing up for appointments is one of those things.?

fiona

I'm new hear and I wanted to add something about phone therapy for other people who are considering it. Phone therapy has been essential in my treatment since I am Agoraphobic and can not get to a therapist.

The one thing I would like people to be aware of is that there is potential for abuse by the therapist through this kind of communication. It's good if you see them slacking to restate their purpose in your treatment plan and address any problems that you may find with them. In one situation, I had a therapist who would call me on her lunch break.

She would be very distracted and I could hear her doing all sorts of errands each time we had a session. One time it was the gas pump beeping, another time it was the grocery store, and one time she even did dishes at her home while on the phone with me. I address my concerns with her about her being distracted and what I had heard. She apologized to me at once and understood where I was coming from and the therapy continued much better.

So as with any therapist, make sure you're comfortable with them and make sure you understand what each side's responsibility is in the phone sessions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ade

I'm new hear and I wanted to add something about phone therapy for other people who are considering it. Phone therapy has been essential in my treatment since I am Agoraphobic and can not get to a therapist.

The one thing I would like people to be aware of is that there is potential for abuse by the therapist through this kind of communication. It's good if you see them slacking to restate their purpose in your treatment plan and address any problems that you may find with them. In one situation, I had a therapist who would call me on her lunch break.

She would be very distracted and I could hear her doing all sorts of errands each time we had a session. One time it was the gas pump beeping, another time it was the grocery store, and one time she even did dishes at her home while on the phone with me. I address my concerns with her about her being distracted and what I had heard. She apologized to me at once and understood where I was coming from and the therapy continued much better.

So as with any therapist, make sure you're comfortable with them and make sure you understand what each side's responsibility is in the phone sessions.

As long as your happy to continue that's fine, but any therapist who is doing the dishes or anything that distracts them in my opinion needs a good kick up the back side, that is a terrible way to treat a client, it shows a total disregard for the client and there are confidentiality issues as well when talking in public.:(

There is no difference between face to face therapy or online therapy/telephone therapy in regard to respecting the clients thoughts and feelings, you should feel that the therapist shows you respect at all times and allows that time just for you. if your paying for the time it should be your time.

I would never treat a client that way

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

The Benefits of Therapy by Phone
New Tork Times Blog
September 22, 2008

Phone-based therapy can be less hassle for patients. (Peter DaSilva for the New York Times)Most therapists schedule face-to-face meetings with their patients. But new data suggest that therapy by phone may be a better option for some patients.

I suppose you can include internet calls with skype in the same way

Mari

MVP
I have had a few sessions by phone because I did not want to travel an hour in a snow storm. I did feel that my therapist was somewhat distracted and I would not want to do it on a regular basis.

Ade

Sorry its taken so long for me to reply, had some time issues etc. and then became distracted.:eek:

You have the right to be treated with respect at all times snow or no snow that's a fundamental and basic requirement of providing a therapy service.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.