More threads by dazey

dazey

Hi,

I was on this forum a few years ago. My bi-polar was out of control. I am well for a month and then sick for a month. They say the norm is four times in ten years. I guess I am not normal. I am sick six months out of the year. I have been on Lithium for over twenty years. I have also been on at least 50 other medications. I am also going through menopause and probably going to have a hysterectomy soon. I cannot hold a job. I have been through numerous relationships. I have had a pickup repossessed and I have filed bankruptcy. I am ready to try natural supplements and clean out my system totally of prescription medication. I am so tired of being on a roller coaster ride.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Bi-polar for 23 years. I was on the forum a few years agp.

Hi, dazey.

You say you've been on lithium for 20 years. Who monitors your medications? If lithium is not keeping you stabilized, there are many other options for medications these days.

dazey

Re: Bi-polar for 23 years. I was on the forum a few years agp.

My doctors monitor my medications. I feel that the Lithium has worn outs welcome.I want something new. I watch all these commercials about depression. I am like the gal who has to wind herself to get up, and keep winding herself up all day long. I am hoping to find help somewhere else. I have see at least 15 pshchiatrists in my day. To me, bi-polar is complicated. Right now I am just scratching bottom and headling on my ladder back to the top. Any and all suggestions would be great help.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My question really was about whether you doctor is a psychiatrist or a general practitioner. I would suggest that you see a psychiatrist to have your medications reevaluated. S/he would know about some of the newer options, whereas a GP would not.

dazey

Actually, I have seen so many psychiatrists and MD's. No one seems to want to work with me. And when I suggest natural herbs, they don't want to listen to it. I get bloodwork done quite often. They tell me my liver and kidneys are functioning well. Now I am also on birth control. I am going through menopause, and it hasn't been good. And every time I try a new med, it takes at least four weeks to see if it is going to work. I do a lot of soul searching. My illness has been tough on my whole family. They support me, but they don't know what to do when I become ill.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And when I suggest natural herbs, they don't want to listen to it.

I'm glad to hear that. There's a reason they don't want to take that suggestion seriously: There's no evidence that herbal medicines will do anything at all to help.

My point was not that there may be any toxicity with lithium, but that it may simply have reached a point where it's not helpful. The alternatives are not lithium or nothing (and I would place herbal medicines in the 'nothing' category). But you need to consult a psychiatrist who is current with new developments in treating bipolar.

dazey

How do I go about finding a psychiatrist that specializes in bi-polar? I have had a couple who were, and neither one of them worked out. I do a lot of pushing myself to get going. It takes me everything some days just to take a shower. If I accomplish one thing in a day, I am happy. I got on disability three years ago. I had a very good psychiatrist. One of our Senators also helped me get it. They kept denying me. When I am well, I am a wonderful worker. When I am ill, I am in bed for days. Just a little note about my avatar. This is my puppy Dazey. Dazey was abused, and I took her in. She is so much fun. My three puppies keep me going when I am not feeling good.

Do you suggest any medication that could replace Lithium?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm a psychologist, not a psychiatrist or physician, but there are several options for people who don't seem to respond well to lithium:

• one of the newer "atypical antipsychotics" such as Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Geodon, etc.
    • Aripiprazole (Abilify)
    • Clozapine (Clozaril)
    • Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
    • Paliperidone (Invega)
    • Quetiapine (Seroquel)
    • Risperidone (Risperdal)
    • Ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)
  • some people find Lamictal (lamotrigine) helpful
  • Depakote (divalproex sodium)
  • Tegretol (carbamazepine)
  • Neurontin (gabapentin)
  • Topamax (topiramate)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As for finding a psychiatrist, check to see that they list mood disorders as one of their specialties. Possibly, your general practitioner can refer you to someone appropriate.

dazey

Right now I take 1500mg of Lithium, 120mg of Cymbalta, 800mg of Seroquel for sleep, and AmbienCR for sleep. I also take Aviane. I have been on Abilify, Risperdal, Lamictal, Neurontin, and Depakote.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.