More threads by suewatters1

The Black berry Playbook 2.0 is out so people can buy the tablet can upgrade the software if it is not already upgraded. I was thinking about buying a laptop but now I can't because of me needing time off work.

But I decided maybe I should get a Blackberry Playbook now they have upgraded there OS to 2.0 but I wonder if I will be able to play some of Facebook games I like because they use a lot of graphics that is hard on my computer now. I like Bingo Blitz and Diamond Dash. Also I was wondering if I should get the 16 GB or the 32 GB. I would be using it to download games and play games and maybe some music then go to chat rooms and play Facebook games if the one I want works. Since they are now getting some Android app for their App world they might have better apps down the roads once the Developers convert their application to the Playbook.

So should I get Blackberry Playbook for what I would want to do and which size would be good for me. I would be using at Wifi places like Mcdonalds and shopping malls and in my bedroom after I turn my computer off.

Sue

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding Android apps for Playbook (or lack thereof), the comments here are not very positive about the short-term future:

Amazon.com: DH1967's review of Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (16GB)

I would be using at Wifi places like Mcdonalds and shopping malls and in my bedroom after I turn my computer off.

Personally, I think a better value would be a very light laptop (an ultrabook or ultraportable or whatever they are calling them now), like a poor-man's Macbook Air. The only reason I could afford my Macbook Air is reducing other expenses like going to Subway :)

But an ultraportable would be at least $500, which is twice as much as the Playbook. Still, I think it's a better value.

Like even for visiting Psychlinks, I wouldn't want to use my iPad (even with the bluetooth keyboard) unless I am just reading posts. I don't usually like playing games and that may be one reason I use my laptop (Macbook Air) a lot more than my iPad.

Another problem with the tablets is that it gets tiring holding them up after a while. In other words, it's less ergonomic in some ways.

I know people are looking for Android App Market but you don't get the Android apps there because there won't be an Android App Market. They will all be in Blackberry App World.

Sue

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Have you thought about going to a Best Buy or someplace like that where you can try one out?

My nephew has one when I tried it out originally I thought no it wasn't for me because of he virtual keyboard and how you have to move your fingers one way to do something and another way to do something else I thought maybe I would get confused but I checked out the video tutorial Playbook has and I could just review them and with time I could get use to it. Because I use my phone lots of time when I am at work which I have the internet on my Android phone but I also use it a lot in my bedroom like I did yesterday. I don't mind the touch screen on my phone but I have a regular keyboard.
With a virtual keyboard half the screen is missing and I wonder if would be hard for me to type and see what I am typing. I had another phone briefly last year when my phone needed repairs and it had a virtual keyboard and it took almost all the space of the screen so i couldn't see what i was typing.
They sell it at Walmart also for $199 for a 16 GB $249 for a 32 GB

Sue

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I find the virtual keyboard on the tablet is much easier to type with than on something with a small screen like an iTouch. But it's not pleasant or fast like a real keyboard.

So I use my iPad mostly for reading.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

They sell it at Walmart also for $199 for a 16 GB $249 for a 32 GB

And the good thing about Walmart is their liberal return policy. But for computer stuff, one only has 15 days (in the US, at least).

I think most places has a 15 day return policy on Electronics. I could order it from Future shop with free shipping. Because they sold out in there store at those prices and Chapter/Indigo sells it but at full price.

Sue

I will have to check Amazon. Would get Airmiles points Because I think the price since it is reduced is about the same. It is sold to Amazon and other stores at a lower price.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

It's sold from Amazon under another seller at a way higher price $252. and $330. and the 64 GB at $497.60

Sue

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yeah, I see in the US, Amazon isn't selling them directly but only from third parties.

And when it's sold directly by Amazon Canada, it's also $252:

Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (16GB): Amazon.ca: Electronics

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Bestselling tablets at Amazon.ca

Tablets at Walmart.ca

Tablets at Future Shop (also Canadian, as you know)

For deals, a good Canadian website: RedFlagDeals

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

As you know, the Kindle Fire is in a similar price range as the Playbook:

Kindle Fire Owners Likely to Switch to Upcoming iPad 3 - Business Review USA

In addition to the lack of an Android Marketplace plaguing the Kindle Fire, the smaller 7" screen size is another disadvantage compared to the iPad and other tablets.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

RIM PlayBook 2.0 -- The Star

"experts say it’s likely too little, too late for Research in Motion’s tablet computer."

"the bigger issue is screen size, really"

Dede agreed that adding some Android compatibility will help the PlayBook’s relatively meager selection of apps, but warns it’s not a panacea.
“The Android app compatibility is nice, but I don’t think it will be as seamless as it needs to be for real success,” said Dede.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

On the positive side:

Forget the Amazon Kindle Fire, the BB PlayBook is now the best low cost tablet | ZDNet

"I am a huge fan of the 7 inch form factor and am pleased to see the PlayBook finally where it should have been last year."

Advantages of the PlayBook over the Kindle Fire include:
  • Dual high quality cameras and a microphone
  • Bluetooth wireless radio
  • Integrated GPS
  • HDMI out (outputs EVERYTHING, unlike the iPad)
  • Dual stereo speakers
  • 1GB of RAM and more internal storage (16, 32 or 64 GB compared to 8GB)
  • Seamless connectivity with BB smartphone
  • Fast, powerful web browser made even better in the 2.0 update
  • Much nicer user interface

I went to visit my uncle who into computers and fixes them and buys parts and laptops for himself and after being there for over 1 hour I realize that I rather get a laptop. He took out an older laptop that was Hi end at the time but would be considered low end now and I went to my Facebook page and loaded up the game I like and it had no problem. So the laptop I was originally looking at is higher end then I really need for what I what to do with it.
I will try to put some money aside and when they get some good sales I would be ready. He says I could get one with taxes and all for $400.00 no problem if I watch the stores for clearance items.

Thanks Daniel for your help

Sue

I just bought a BlackBerry Playbook 16GB. The guy at the store this would plenty for me so I thought why not.
I still want to get a laptop someday but I thought the reason I love my phone is because I use my fingers and someone with ADHD I need something that keeps my fingers busy.
I am upstairs in my bedroom using the wifi and was playing my favorite Facebook game Bingo Blitz.
I had to download the 2.0 version but that didn't take long. I hope I don't have regrets not buying the 32 GB version but the guy at the store said you can just get rid of stuff.
Also I read the keyboard was slow but it is not slow but as fast I type. I am very happy with it.
I had a very bad day and was going to drink tonight but not now.

Sue

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.