More threads by Xelebes

Xelebes

Bye Bye Asperger’s Syndrome?
By John M Grohol PsyD
November 5, 2009

Is the diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome — a mild form of autism mostly diagnosed in boys — heading the way of the dodo bird? A new article in the New York Times suggests that the new revision of the diagnostic manual — the DSM-V — is likely to do away with the diagnosis.

How can you just delete an entire diagnosis and do away with a diagnostic label that hundreds of thousands of clinicians use everyday and millions identify with? If you’re the American Psychiatric Association, the folks behind the latest DSM revision, you can pretty much do anything you want.

. . .
Full Article within link

[Not posting the full article to avoid copyright infringement.]

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Anyways, if this is the case, then I just simply have mild autism. Works, I guess. *shrug*

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
John Grohol should stop relying on the New York Times for information about DSM-V, especially since the DSM-V revision committee isn't talking about what they're doing publicly. This is a suggestion only at this point. There have been a lot of suggestions and there will be a lot mopre before the revision is released. Some of those suggestions will make it into DSM-V; most won't.

Xelebes

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The one who penned the column in the NYT was Simon Baron-Cohen, one of the top five researchers/advocates on Aspergers. Of course, it still has a speculative slant to it forewarning of only the possibility of it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My point was that there have already been a large number of suggestions for changes in DSMV, most of which will probably not make it into the released version. Grohol is criticizing the APA for something they haven't yet done and might very well not do. That just seems silly to me.

I think they're just trying to simplify Autism in a way where their screws ups won't be so obvious. Is is a coincidence that people with Aspergers are high functioning, capable of actually holding practitioners responsible for their misdiagnosis?

If they don't delete Aspies, it can only get worse for them.

I don't have anything against the current research focusing on lower functioning autism in children or Aspergers and children but how convenient is it that the focus be on those with less of a voice to speak up?

Xelebes

I don't have anything against the current research focusing on lower functioning autism in children or Aspergers and children but how convenient is it that the focus be on those with less of a voice to speak up?

Care to explain what you mean by that?

I see a lot happening with children and Aspergers which is important. But, at the same time, it's the parents, teachers etc. that have to be the eyes and ears for this vulnerable population. It's the adults with aspergers, that get a glimpse of the power to be silenced by the medical community.

For some, it can be impossible not to question the quality of access and services for Autistic peoples without a power analysis of those who serve them.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think they're just trying to simplify Autism in a way where their screws ups won't be so obvious. Is is a coincidence that people with Aspergers are high functioning, capable of actually holding practitioners responsible for their misdiagnosis?

If they don't delete Aspies, it can only get worse for them.

I see a lot happening with children and Aspergers which is important. But, at the same time, it's the parents, teachers etc. that have to be the eyes and ears for this vulnerable population. It's the adults with aspergers, that get a glimpse of the power to be silenced by the medical community.

For some, it can be impossible not to question the quality of access and services for Autistic peoples without a power analysis of those who serve them.

:confused:

What does any of this have to do with a proposal to make changes to the diagnostic classification and criteria in DSM-V?

Hmm.... (I sound like I'm ranting I suspect).

I find that the elimination of Aspergers from the DSM is a cop out and makes the work of those in the medical profession's work easier than it needs to be. No longer would a high functioning adult connect the dots that are very difficult to connect (even for those in the medical field), and put a word to their meaning and understandings in order to grow as individuals.

Yeppers...ranting.

Xelebes

As far as I understand, they are coming up with a a diagnostic schedule that creates a more accurate picture of "severity" and range of disability. From what I've read, the schedule looks to have 5 levels of severity, as opposed to the 4 we currently have (LFA/Kanner's, HFA, PDD-NOS and AS).

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
:confused:

How does it make the work of a diagnostician any easier?

Also, please do remember that this is simply a proposal for a change in DSM-V. There have been many of those and there will doubtless be more. Some of those I've seen have been good suggestions, I think, and some have been more than a little bone-headed.

But whatever is or is not ultimately approved, I doubt that it will make any difference whatsoever to the consumer (i.e., mental health client).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.