More threads by suewatters1

It sucks for the depressed person too ashamed to admit they are suicidal for fear of losing their job or, worse yet, government programs (like CPP) that will not approve an application when you have a severe anxiety disorder or major depression

I didn't realize that the government doesn't recognized mental illness as a disease that affect a person to the point they can't work.
A disease is a disease.especially if it ongoing and with very little chance of getting better if that person can't go back to work.
I wish I could tell my government officials a thing or two. I am not shy. I got a big mouth at times and I know how to use it.
I would love to email somebody and ask what is the Government policy on mental illness and that person getting CCP. Life sucks big time when we are made to feel ashame that we have mental problems. If the government would acknowledge us as regular people with severe health issues like any other disabling disease more people might want to get help. If it is a stigma to the government then it shows that they think our problems are not much of a problem. They probably think we should get over it also like everybody else says.
If I could just talk to them I would tell then exactly what I think and no holds bared. :rant2:
When the elections are over who can I contact in regards to the government views on mental health issues and the CPP program?

Sue

I read the article on the website where they ask for a comment I posted the same comment there that I posted here.

Sue

Last edited:

Sparrow

Re: Storm Clouds: Stigma - A Losing Battle?

Hello there Sue,

I hear you. It is now when we can elect anyone or not that we darn well choose to. We need to hold them (whoever) accountable - past, present, and future.
If someone (pimp :)) knocks on my door for a vote, I get in THEIR face with any medical issues (or others) that I have.
What about after their elected? If you're not happy, hit 'em hard and fast. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Mental Health issues seem just as secondary as so many others while the world goes down the toilet.
Mental Health issue advocates? ...Hmmm. Motives come to my mind, and time is usually the proof of the pudding hindsight being 20/20.

Sorry if I'm a tad cynical - Joey -

Sparrow

Hey Sue :canadian:

Small consolation, but in Canada if you suffer a mental illness while at work you may be eligible for HRDC U.I. sick benefits. My GP wrote me up as "unfit for work and under medical supervision" when I was diagnosed with clinical depression and I was approved. There was no further disclosure at my workplace and when they needled me I told them I had rabies and eventually they got the message. Point being, the details were none of their business.

ladylore

Account Closed

Hey Sue :canadian:

Small consolation, but in Canada if you suffer a mental illness while at work you may be eligible for HRDC U.I. sick benefits. My GP wrote me up as "unfit for work and under medical supervision" when I was diagnosed with clinical depression and I was approved. There was no further disclosure at my workplace and when they needled me I told them I had rabies and eventually they got the message. Point being, the details were none of their business.

Good to know Joey - Thank you. :)

Hi Joey Thanks.
I heard that but being on UI I would be losing about $250. a week. Right now I can't afford that. I know I could also probably 2 years off with UI to go back to school. I will have to consider a vocational assessment with Job Zone to see if there is something else I can do with similar pay.

Sue

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator

I didn't realize CPP didn't cover depression and anxiety for disability. I am going through the process now.....eeeekkk! What about Ontario Disability Pention? Do they cover this?

I have insurance through work, but thinking of just incase my insurance company doesn't cover it.

Yikes, I could be in a messy situation.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I'm not certain that CPP does not cover mental health disability but it is difficult to obtain any form of government or private long-term disability benefits without detailed documentation and a formal diagnosis from a physician, psychiatrist, or psychologist.

Sparrow

I'm not certain that CPP does not cover mental health disability but it is difficult to obtain any form of government or private long-term disability benefits without detailed documentation and a formal diagnosis from a physician, psychiatrist, or psychologist.
A mental heath disability is indeed definitely covered by CPP.
The process is twofold. 1) You must have contibuted to it for 6(?) years.
2) And the condition must be severe and of a prolonged nature, i.e. a bad prognosis.

What you said is very true David re: detailed documentation, and then it can still be difficult. (flying through hoops helps:))
Moreover, having a very good, knowledgeable and supportive medical practioner is definitely a benefit.

Anyone can find more info through a CPP benefit guide, or call 1-800-277-9914 (CPP benefits). There is a link under the servicecanada website as well, but I don't know where it is.

Jazzey

Account Closed

I think this is it:

Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension

I hope the link worked - not very good at these things. If it doesn't work, I just went to the Service Canada website and searched through their services.

When the elections are over who can I contact in regards to the government views on mental health issues and the CPP program?

Hi Sue,

If you still want to do this, the best way to get government attention is to approach your MP (via letter or email). Then the MP can bring the issue to the Parliament. Your local MLA may also be able to help you.

Having said that, I agree with Dr. Baxter. I believe that CPP is available to people, but they may have to jump a few hoops...I'm doing a little research on this right now and if I find something, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Sparrow

Jazzey,
I believe you made a little boo-boo. A mental health disability which is covered under the umbrella of CPP disability benefits, is not the same as CPP retirement benefits. I'd like to retire though! :)

Jazzey

Account Closed

Hi again Sue,

I found a website that explains how to go about applying for CPP (Disability) and the Appeals process should you be turned down. Having said this, I am obligated to say that I am, by no means, providing you with legal advice. Just the info.

And, we should also consider the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) which you would claim as part of your tax return at the end of the year. Again, I'm not providing advice here. For the DTC, you will need a special form that will be filled out by your doctor. The DTC would cover expenses above and beyond those not covered by your health plan. I'll limit my comments to this because I don't know your specific circumstance.

Hope this is of assistance. Particularly since I feel as though my posts have now taken over this thread! :think:

Disability Claims Advocacy Clinic - CPP Appeals Manual

(under "how is eligibility determined?")

Yes I did Sparrow :dimples: Thank you - I'm trying to fix it as we speak...

The correct link for disability is the following:

Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits

Thanks again Sparrow! :dimples:

Last edited:

Sparrow

Well here's a government link at...
Physician's Guide - Canada Pension Plan disability benefits
...and as much as it is the physicians guide, here's an excerpt:
How does CPP determine whether my patient is eligible on the basis of his or her medical condition?
To be eligible to receive disability benefits, the applicant must have a physical and/or mental impairment that is both severe and prolonged, as defined by CPP legislation.
That being clear, isn't there a member that has already gone through the process? They would know it first hand because I don't.

Hi everyone I started this thread based on an article DR Baxter had posted.

Storm Clouds: Stigma - A Losing Battle? - Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum.

I am not applying for Canada Disability Pension but I am applying for the ODSP Employment Support Program so I can transition to another Job with the help of ODSP. I just mailed out the form yesterday.
I can't do the kind I work I am doing anymore. Physically it is to hard on me and it is affecting me mentally.
If I get approve then I would get help like testing to see what I am good at and if their is any job suited for me. They will also help me prepare for an interview and other stuff. I will know more if I am approved.
My social worker from the CMHA doesn't think there will be any problem. She feel I qualify with all of my medical issues.

Part of me wants to stop working but parts of me feels the need to work to keep busy and another reason I need the money. I wouldn't be able to survive on a Disability Pension.

Thanks again everyone

Sue

Also I did Apply for the Disability Tax Credit In April and I got it. Then went back to the year 2005 when new rules came into effect. If you had 2 or more problems then you might qualify and I did. There was no delay in getting it either. I was approved almost right away.
But it is only good till the 2010 tax year then I have to re apply.

Sue

Last edited:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Depression and Canada Disability Pension

I have recently heard that Canada Disability doesn't recognize Depression as a disabliltiy as they deem it to be "cureable"

Anyone else heard this or had any experiences with CPP Disabilty regarding this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Nope - I have never heard that NickNack. From what I know, as long as you fit within the parameters of the criteria listed (see Sparrow's earlier post), then you are eligible for it.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Oppps! Brain malfunction for me. It was this thread I was reading it in. :confused:

Thanks for moving my post here Dr Baxter. But I guess dealing with folks like us, you are use to us getting confused or being forgetful. :p

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.