More threads by making_art

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I believe it can, yes. One aspect of some forms of OCD is the perception of what is "right" and what is "not right", which can be visual, tactile, or any other modality. Additionally, it's important to remember that OCD is fundamentally an anxiety disorder. A young child may act out in various ways, including in ways that seem oppositional-defiant, when s/he perceives that things are not "right" and especially when s/he perceives that an adult fails to see or understand what s/he sees.

hi make_art

I will say yes based on my own experiences with my son who is now 19. Back in grades 3-8 he was labelled as "behavioural" ,"defiant" "A.D.H.D".. the only way the teachers would let him in school was if i got him on drugs...which we sadly had to experiment with (all against my sons wishes of course). None helped and some made life worse.

Finally..he was diagnosed with tourettes syndrome . He tried to hide his tics but would become very "jumpy" in class so people wouldnt notice his leg twitching etc. Almost acting like a class clown and not sitting when told etc

He was also diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome which explained a lot about his communication problem....and his lack of understandling social cues from teachers and others..teachers always thought he was being a smart-ass and i would have to constantly talk to them about how he is very literally with speach and isnt being a smart ass on purpose.

Finally he has been diagnosed with OCD. The moods that certain rituals can cause him can certainly just seem like hes not nice, or being defiant. (or even violent) I have had to learn as his mother to be understanding to his thoughts and beliefs, even if some dont make sence to me.

I think had he been disagnosed with OCD and Aspergers during his public school years things would have been a whole lot easier. Neither of those diagnoses are considered "behavioural" and i feel that perhaps he would have been treated a lot more fairly.

I still feel so sad thinking back to all those years teachers were telling me he was "bad",,,hes the most sensitive caring guy out there...he just sees the world a little differently than others.

making_art

Sweetsoleil, so sad for your son and your family that you had to endure this hardship with little support. It may comfort you to know that children now are fully supported in the classroom, if needed, with one on one teaching assistance. Thanks for sharing.

Dr Baxter, yes...your thoughts make sense with the little person I have worked with (gr 2).

Here is more about OCD and children from Anxiety BC:

• Many children will develop OCD early, starting between ages seven and 12. In fact, most adults with OCD say their symptoms started when they were children.
  • OCD is more common in boys before the age of 12. After puberty, boys and girls are equally likely to develop OCD.
  • Over time, OCD symptoms can change. For example, your child might start out with excessive washing compulsions when he or she is young, but later develop excessive checking compulsions and stop washing in a compulsive manner.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.