More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How Comorbid Conditions Increase Risk of Depression
by Janice Rodden, ADDitude
May 20, 2019

Physicians once considered ADHD a standalone condition. We now know that ADHD rarely travels alone. A majority of people have ADHD plus another comorbid, or associated, condition — most commonly:

• Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Binge Eating Disorder
  • Substance Use Disorder
  • Learning Disability
Sometimes these problems are “secondary” to ADHD — meaning, they are triggered by the frustration of coping with symptoms of ADHD. When the symptoms don’t resolve with ADHD treatment, they are often signs of a comorbid condition.

In this video, from his ADDitude webinar titled “The ADHD-Depression Connection in Adults: Understanding the Link, Distinct Symptoms, and First-Line Treatments,” Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D., explains how comorbid conditions increase the risk of depression:

How Comorbid Conditions Increase Risk of Depression
by Janice Rodden, ADDitude
May 20, 2019

• Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Binge Eating Disorder
  • Substance Use Disorder
  • Learning Disability

I definitely have the anxiety & depression (fairly well-managed by medication except when there are several things at once going on, then I can’t seem to function very well)...

Sent from my Hollycopter using SlappaSquawk

GaryQ

MVP
I have TS + and the list includes ADHD and this list plus a bunch more. This list is probably not an exhaustive one either.
I also have my Tics and stress/anxiety somewhat under medicated control and also have to live with the side effects of the meds combined with the disorders also causing an inability to function.

I had originally followed it up with 2 posts regarding the TS+ list and the fact that I have a very high +++++ score
Then after reading them again and again I simply deleted them as it was depressing to be reminded of how messed up I am. :(

I have TS + and the list includes ADHD...
...Tics and stress/anxiety somewhat under medicated control and also have to live with the side effects of the meds combined with the disorders also causing an inability to function...

...I had originally followed it up with 2 posts regarding the TS+ list and the fact that I have a very high +++++ score
Then after reading them again and again I simply deleted them as it was depressing to be reminded of how messed up I am...

Aaaaw, man, you aren’t “messed up!” You seem very nice, intelligent, and coherent to me! [emoji2][emoji106]

But I’m sure having ADHD/TS + having side-effects must be really stressful!!! Are there no other choices/alternatives for meds? What sort of symptoms are you noticing, if you don’t mind me being nosy? You don’t have to describe if it makes you uncomfortable.

Now to counteract all these things that brought you down, I would love to see a list of positive things about you! [emoji41][emoji106][emoji2]

*HUGS*

GaryQ

MVP
It's been a long day and it's a long list and I'm long winded...
All this to say no problem but not tonight, maybe tomorrow :)

It's been a long day and it's a long list and I'm long winded...
All this to say no problem but not tonight, maybe tomorrow :)

Tomorrow is now today!

If you have a giant list of how awesome you are, maybe the top 10? Top 20?

Normally, if I had a normal, I’d expect you made a nice list about how awesome you are to match the length of the list you got all depressed about. But I suspect all your positive attributes, personality, and general terrific-ness would outweigh all the ones you perceive as negative. Like 10 negative things would be absolutely shattered/cancelled out by just one positive thing because, dude, you have Super Powers.

So... How ‘bout now? [emoji2]

GaryQ

MVP
You're hilarious :)

OK then so first here's a partial list of my neuropsychiatric disorders listed as comorbidities to TS+ and they all seem to be common to ther issues.
Some are actually dual pahse and contradictory. Learning disabiltiy I have but in a classroom environment most likely due to executive disfunction. same with social skills it's dual and both sides are to extremes.

TS+,
ADHD
, OCD, Anxiety, MDD, Neurological Storms, Sleep Disorders, Executive Dysfunction, Dysfunction in Sensory Integration, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, learning disabilities, Panic Disorder, social skills deficits, Fear of rejection and especially abandonment

I'll leave out the physical illnesses that exacerbate the mental problems like major dession.

Positives:
High IQ. Logical, preceptive, analytic with great troubleshooting and diagnostic abilities,
Ability to learn at an accelerated pace (not so anymore)
Self taught: Musician, auto mechanic, programmer, computer techniciann, business man, entrepreneur,
(Without it sounding like I'm bragging) I'm an outstanding public speaker/story teller and have managed keep a group's attention captivated for 45 minutes without anyone looking at their watches or the clock and I can (well could, haven't really spoken publically in years) do it "Johnny on the spot" Without notes.
A mix of a geek and a bad *ss all in one. Don't fit in anywhere because of it.
I'm good looking,charismatic, charming, compassionate and sweet at least that what the women seem to think.

I'm also extremely passionate and and Alpha Male. Which combined with my other "gifts" make women that have fallen in love with me see me as something greater than sliced bread, which I am not. Passion breathes fire and warms a releationship but sonner or later it burns and consumes everthing in sight.

All that and more and some pretty cool accomplishments all destroyed and burnt to the ground because of my disabilities:
parents, 1 sister (other one passed away), 4 grown adult children, at least 4 grandchldren that I'm aware of and none want anything to do with me. My youngest daughter told me I was dead to her. All because of combined disorders that explode under certain specific triggers into neurological storms. (AKA Rage disorder) Fisrt wife left me with the kids in 2002, 2 weeks after I got out of intensve care after my triple bypass after 15 1/2 years together. The previous 9 months after my 1st heart attack where they all thought it was just depression and in my head and nothing physical caused her to feel neglected emotionally and physically and thought I was just depressed and lazy. Started threatening me to leave with the kids which triggered some of my most violent verbal neurolgical storms and the cruel and threatening words that came out of my mouth are unbelievable. We were running 2 seasonal businesses that were do start up in May at the time and I had abandonned my snow plow route the previous winter after the heart attack and was technically done with all my extended on site computer warranties. She had cleaned out the personal and business accounts and there was $192 left when I got out of the psych ward. Important note there was previously enough money to start up the 2 seasonal bussinesse. She died of Cancer in 2015. This and all my family was in Quebec. I went bankrupt, she found an escape route out of being dragged into it and I wound up losing everything and on welfare.

I left everything and moved to Winnipeg in 2004. Had some unbeleivable stories here, 2 more heart attacks and other physical and mental problems and have been on disability since dec 2010.

So my "gifts and abilities" have very little value as everything I have touched I have destroyed and most of it by my own doing.

Well, that’s one helluva past. I’m sorry you had people who were supposed to love you but instead minimalized your physical ailments and that your mental conditions chain reacted. It sounds like you are/were greatly misunderstood. Your behaviour wasn’t purposeful. I’m sorry your family felt the need to withdraw from you.

It doesn’t even sound like any of these events were something you could control (ie: rage, etc)...

How about these days? Are any of your symptoms still hard to manage or have you figured some things out? I mean, wow! You’ve had it rough! I can see why these circumstances would make it challenging to keep positive, especially when so much was lost to you.

Anyways, that was brave of you to lay all of that out. Thank you for telling me/us.

I’m not sure what else to say, but despite all of this, I really hope you don’t think you are a bad person.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.