More threads by Retired

Retired

Maternal Depression Linked to Sleep Problems in Infants: Medscape
May 05, 2009

Infants born to mothers with depression are at increased risk for sleep disturbances from 2 to 24 weeks of age, according to a report in the May issue of Sleep. Whether this places the infants at greater risk for childhood depression remains to be determined.

The findings are based on a study of 18 healthy, full-term infants who had their sleep habits evaluated with actigraphy for 7 consecutive days on a monthly basis. In addition, the subjects' mothers kept daily sleep/wake diaries.

Eleven of the infants were born to mothers with depression, while the other seven had no family history of depression, Dr. Roseanne Armitage, from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and colleagues note in their report.

The researchers found that infants of depressed mothers took longer to fall asleep than those of non-depressed mothers (about 80 minutes versus 20 minutes) and also had lower sleep efficiencies (approximately 60% vs. 75%) and more awakenings in the nocturnal sleep period (approximately 4 vs. 2). These differences persisted throughout the full 24-week study period.

"Although there are many environmental and social factors that can influence infant sleep and behavior, this study is a first step toward characterizing the influence of maternal depression," the investigators write.

If further research shows that the infants with disturbed sleep are prone to depression themselves, the authors note, it will then be important to determine if the sleep problem is a modifiable risk factor.

Abstract.

Last edited:
Re: Depressed Moms ->Baby Sleep Difficulty

when the article says infants born to mothers with depression, does this mean the mothers were depressed before their birth? or does this also cover mothers who develop post partum depression?

this is interesting to me because i had post partum myself and indeed i got woken up to 4 times a night.

Retired

Re: Depressed Moms ->Baby Sleep Difficulty

ITL said:
born to mothers with depression

My interpretation from reading the article would be these were mothers with pre-existing depression.

A mother might not be depressed prior to giving birth, but then experience post partum depression. The link between mother, baby, depression and baby's sleep would be broken.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic suggests as the possible causes of post partum depression:
  • Physical changes. After childbirth, a dramatic drop in estrogen and progesterone may contribute to postpartum depression. The hormones produced by your thyroid gland also may drop sharply — which can leave you feeling tired, sluggish and depressed. Changes in your blood volume, blood pressure, immune system and metabolism can lead to fatigue and mood swings.
  • Emotional factors. When you're sleep deprived and overwhelmed, you may have trouble handling even minor problems. You may be anxious about your ability to care for a newborn. You may feel less attractive or struggle with your sense of identity. You may feel that you've lost control over your life. Any of these factors can contribute to postpartum depression.
  • Lifestyle influences. Many lifestyle factors can lead to postpartum depression, including a demanding baby or older siblings, difficulty breast-feeding, exhaustion, financial problems, and lack of support from your partner or other loved ones.

The precipitating factors appear to originate post partum.

kelmom

I can attest to that being a fact. My youngest just started sleeping through the night. But I find myself up late anyway doing the things I cannot get done during the day.

Retired

Kelmom said:
I find myself up late anyway doing the things I cannot get done during the day

Is this a deviation from your previous sleep pattern?

Some of us are night people, and feel comfortable and enjoy working late into the night and find it difficult to be productive in the morning.

Does working late disrupt what you would prefer to be doing?

kelmom

Is this a deviation from your previous sleep pattern?

Some of us are night people, and feel comfortable and enjoy working late into the night and find it difficult to be productive in the morning.

Does working late disrupt what you would prefer to be doing?

Sort of. I am more productive in the morning. However, I am home with three kids and the work that I do requires that I concentrate. I am too easily distracted so to try and code up a website while the kids are up is difficult for me and I just become frustrated and frazzled.

So, when they go to bed, I utilize that time to do the work I couldn't do during the day. Same goes with school work. Though I end up not doing as well as I could have because i'm just so tired.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.