More threads by bloodwood

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
After some years of thinking about getting the lights while battling various head afflictions we recently bought a couple of therapy lights. They are Verilux Happy Light using Natural spectrum daylight bulbs. Maybe $85 each with 2 brightness settings producing 10,000 luxs of light.
One is placed at my girlfriends computer and the other we placed at our TV which is in our bedroom, just peaking out on the right side.

We turn it on to wake up in the morning and also use it sometimes when watching TV. It is on the lower brightness setting - still bright.

We have been using them for a month or so and are trying to decide on the results so far. Do we feel better? When? What do we feel while facing the light? How are we doing no versus this time last year? What else in our life has changed to contribute to possible changes in feeling? Is it placebo affect? And so on.

First of all our room is brighter in the morning and so that is nice by any measurement. My girlfriend says that one affect she has felt is that having it shine in the morning gives her a feeling of positive energy such that she wants to get up and do things in the morning. She is bipolar and depressive and that is a good result no matter what caused it. I asked her what changed feeling she has when not in a room with the light and she can not identify anything at this point.

For me I should first explain that I have been going through some sort of evolutionary progression in the last 6-12 months around some of the stuff in my work place. Been having a lot of conflict over the latest several years and now may be finding a path past the stupidity. So even without the lights I would say there is a general gentle improvement in my state of mind. Having the light on in the morning does have an effect though. I feel a small sense of positive stimulation that I can't put my finger on. Fall is normally a period of growing and intense depression and anxiety for me and that has not hit this year - yet. I am resolving things more constructively than I have in past years. We will see how far that goes as the winter comes on.

My resilience in rebounding from negative or depressive situations has improved - there is more of a sense of solace and peace. How much is from the light and how much is from my current progress I can't say. I do know that thinking about these kinds of things is a bit easier while facing that light. I have found myself wanting to write to people while facing the light but didn't realize it until later.

Take from this what you will. We feel that there is some small vague benefit from the lights and are still working to identify whether it is just placebo or some actual contributed benefit.

i bought one for my daughter and motherinlaw they were called SAD lights bought from pharmacist and they both say when in front of the light they find their moods not so low
so maybe some benefits as you say maybe placebo but whatever it is if it helps the smallest amount it was worth me buying them

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
A follow up to my post: I have a friend who now uses one. He stays at home because of his difficulties and depression and has for some time. He started using his light a few weeks ago. It is at his computer and he uses it about an hour a day.

He told me that me makes hem feel kind of comfortable when it is on but what he notices :
"I can’t say for sure if it has had a beneficial overall effect but just recently noticed I am getting out of bed earlier than I usually do. I have no reason to get up so I find myself wondering if the light might not be the cause of this."

I guess it does no harm. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.