More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Eat Smart-brand kale salad recalled amid fears of Listeria
CBC News
July 9, 2019

Recall applies to New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec

cache.php

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the recall of Eat Smart-brand kale salad applies to New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec. (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)

Eat Smart-brand kale salad has been recalled in six provinces because it could be contaminated with Listeria, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

The recall affects 794-gram bags of Eat Smart's Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Bag Kits with a best-before date of July 17, 2019 and the product code 7 09351 89140 3.

The salad mix is produced by Fresh Taste Produce Ltd.

The recall applies to New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec.

No illnesses have been reported in connection with the product, but anyone who thinks they have become sick from it should call their doctor, the CFIA said on Tuesday.

Food infected with Listeria may not smell bad, but can trigger vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache and neck stiffness. Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are particularly at risk, the CFIA said.

The agency said its test results triggered the recall, and that the agency is conducting a food safety investigation.

Stores are removing the product from their shelves, and consumers can return recalled items where they bought them.

Bumblebean

I have never trusted bagged veggies or saladd. Maybe i'm over-cautious, but if i cant feel, smell, and get a good look at them before i take them home, they don't come home with me :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yeah, I'm beginning to think we have two kidneys just to deal with acute kidney failure from bagged produce :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have never trusted bagged veggies or salad. Maybe i'm over-cautious, but if i cant feel, smell, and get a good look at them before i take them home, they don't come home with me :)

I agree, generally, especially salads. All that extra processing just adds cost and possibilities for contamination. It's not that difficult to cut up a few vegetables for a salad.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.