More threads by amastie

amastie

'Escaping to the Angels' - Manic Defense
A Note on the Passing of the Manic Defense
By Greg Mogenson, M.A., Jungian Analyst, London, Ontario

This essay examines how some psychologically adroit individuals use creativity as a manic defense against the affects that they cannot bear to experience directly. Conceived within the perspectives of Jungian psychoanalysis, manic creativity is shown to effect a defense against the subjective distress of personal complexes by means of an identification with the archetypal cores of the complexes. This defensive use of creativity, however, may ultimately play a decisive role in healing. Indeed, when considered from a prospective or teleological point of view, manic creativity, for all its insensitivity to the suffering that has inspired it, can also be understood as gradually creating a container in which affects formerly defended against may be received and suffered, felt and grieved. In is in this way that manic creativity, though clearly a defense (and at times a very costly one), participates in the reparative initiative of the self.

There is an affect that comes before creativity and an affect that comes, if it comes at all, only afterwards. The first, which cannot be contained or completely experienced due to its traumatic character, splits the psyche and by doing so compels some people to make a creative container in which all that has been split apart can be gathered together again and healed. The second affect, which is sometimes experienced as the apocalyptic unveiling of the first in a burst of repressed affect and insight, corresponds to the actual inhabiting of the container which was formed as a creative defense, and the actual embodiment of the soul which has been made.

Said differently, if taken to the limit, the manic triumph one has achieved over an experience may finally give way to a depressive encounter with it. Although it may take years to find the words to formulate the feelings that could not formerly be borne, it may take still more years before one will allow oneself to be moved by those words. In alchemical terms, the endeavour of finding the so-called "words to say it" corresponds to the albedo or `whitening' stage of the process and being moved by the words, to the rubedo, that final stage in which the "soul-work" reddens into life.

But reddening into life is not easy, for the mind, having secured for itself an imaginal or linguistic mastery, reflexively eschews the gasps and sobs through which its words and images could be reconnected to the flesh. Loath to admit the extent to which it feels menaced by that rumble of interior thunder which announces the advent of a feeling-toned complex, the manically whitened mind will tend to engage in perseveration more and more grandiloquently. What is sowed in the furrow of denied anxiety, however, cannot be reaped through a similar denial. For it is one thing to "farm[] ...a verse\[and] make a vineyard of the curse" (Auden), and quite another to press the grapes and drink the wine.

Avoiding this fact, prolific creativity--be it in transference relationships, work, or art--may become an addiction. Unable to bear what Jung has called "the terrible ambiguity of direct experience," or, more precisely, in a defensive avoidance of the necessary second encounter with it, we may live for a time in what could be characterized as an art-for-art's-sake attitude. Driven by what Freud called the repetition compulsion, the defensively generative person may only be able to live from project to project, relationship to relationship, poem to poem, in creative inflation. This is diagnostic. That a person finds it easier to ape God than to be human is the clearest indication of the rootedness of the manic defense in an archetypal identification. Yet, if the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise. Being a fatality such a condition can only be affirmed; healing comes, if at all, only as a sort of enantiodromia brought on by our perilous persistence in the defensive folly of manic creativity. It will eventually pass.

What goes around comes around. Just as the legendary Parsifal, in the grail castle for the first time, missed the grail by failing to ask the fateful question, "Who does the grail serve?", so many of us miss the opportunity for our own healing--not once, but many times--by failing to ask ourselves what our creative efforts mean to us.

A young man, in the grail castle of his own experience, vividly exemplifies how narrowly the grail can be missed. Although he seems to ask the decisive question no less than eight times in an eight line poem, the aesthetic relief the poem afforded him for the moment stole the moment, causing him to miss the eternity which lay like a treasure within the moment, because in taking so much pleasure in posing them, he never really put his questions to himself, asking what they meant to him personally. This failure to actually grapple with the contents of the unconscious which have been objectified through the creative process is, of course, indicative of inflation. To the extent that the young man was swept up in the incantational magic of his verse, his awareness of a distinction between the larger self, which had inspired him, and the little self, to which this inspiration had been addressed, was obliterated.

• Can you paint the last stroke in the corner?
  • Can you live in your own painted room?
  • Can you never the distance to no-where?
  • Can your faith say but never assume?
  • Can you sup in the hallows of breathing?
  • Can you people the angelic snow?
  • Can you dream the world onto a lamb's back?
  • Can you love the undamable flow?
Jung sometimes characterized a neurosis as a creative phenomenon, an attempt at self-cure that leaves us all but cured. Unfortunately, this is only too true. Although creativity plays a vital and necessary role in our healing, and though we may even need to pursue it as an end in itself for a time, it must also be recognized (as deconstruction has shown) that creativity does not deliver us across the fissures of our psychic life to the paradise of any signified. And so, like Prospero at the end of The Tempest abjuring his "rough magic," many of us, too, who are psychological magi, must eventually abjure ours if we are not to remain trapped in the glitter and illusion of stylized feeling.

It is not just that the trauma from which the psychologically adroit sufferer fled to the angels of archetypal insight must be faced if that person is to live upon the earth as a human being. The opposite is also the case: the angels through whom one has fled to a traumatized identity must also be wrestled. The manic defense itself must be faced if we are to recognize the response of our own essential nature to the impingements we have suffered. For in the deepest sense, our capacity to be traumatized is a secret capacity of the angel who expresses our ambivilence about feeling or refusing to feel a particular event on a priori grounds.

"The pearl of great price," an archetypal motif many have latched onto to make sense of a longstanding struggle with emotion, is one such angel which refuses, and thereby, compensates the starkness of our lives by sending us on a quest of discovery. Since the motif is rooted in the psyche's inability to represent negation, however, the promise represented by this priceless pearl is actually obtained, if at all, iconoclastically, if not quite aniconically, in the deconstruction of the pearl back to the very grit against which it was made--i.e., in the emptiness and despair that we formerly could not bear.
Eliot was right: The end of all our exploring will be to arrive at the place we have started and to know it for the first time, not merely as a well wrought poetical construction, but also as the scene of our own crime.

The healing of the split between psyche and soma, the subtle embodiment of each in the other, occurs, not in the twinkling of the eye it takes for a manic defence to save us through the repudiation of basic needs, but rather, in that paroxysm of grief in which we actually allow ourselves to be moved by what has been moving us in the form of an archetypal identification or manic defense. And though it may have taken many years to create, with the help of the gods who inspire us, the temple for the soul which Keats describes in his poem, "Ode to Psyche," once it is built, we must also, as Keats tells us in the last line of his poem, learn to leave "a casement ope at night,\To let the warm Love in."

Greg Mogenson, M.A. is a Jungian Analyst practicing in London, Ontario, Canada. He is the author of God Is a Trauma: Vicarious Religion and Soul-Making (Spring Publications 1989) and Greeting the Angels: An Imaginal View of the Mourning Process (Baywood Publishing, 1992), and numerous articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
amastie i feel there could be some wise revelation here if i could understand this writing a little more clearly. i think i have a grasp on the message but could you or any one care to try and explain in a little more in lay mens terms. this could possibly explain some things for me. if i am interpreting it for what i think it may be saying. i goggled psychologically adroit but could not find a definition.

what to do with a broken heart??

dont fall in love with the sadness??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbKAtsKcDM

Last edited:

Sparrow

The article struck me as somewhat circular, but did smack of Zen and a few linguistic koans to me though.

Moreover, even if a positive premise of understanding is realized with a Solomon's wisdom or where with all, should it not be practised or encompassed for the benefit of said cause?

Furthermore, the article reminded me of redundant circular reasoning and the semantics it can employ.

Thought the article was overall hard to follow for the above reason, but delightful mental gymnastics. (with a grain of salt) ;)

amastie

Dear Don't Be Crazy and Sparrow,

when I posted this article, I was filled with remembrance of how I had felt when I first read it, overcome at that time by having just discovered a concept that fitted so well my experience (as it was explained to me at the time by my psychiatrist). When I read your replies I wondered if I should have been more careful and re-read it to see if it was as good, or as clear, as it should have been. I want now to revisit the words and reply properly to your posts. I'm aware of having posted the article impulsively but I really didn't intend merely to engage in mental gymnastics. I reconize that there is a place for that at times, Sparrow. It just wasn't what I intended when I posted this. As I say, I need to revisit it and perhaps bring a more critical eye to it now that years have passed since the concept of 'manic defense' was first brought to my attention. Not that I am waiting to give up the concept, but your words, which I respect, give me pause to look more closely at the article.

I'm glad to be poked a little to examine the words more closely.

I'll get back to you with a better reply.

Just for now, Don't be crazy, the words "psychologically adroit" mean to me having developed a creative way of (coping) psychologically, but that's just my sense of it. Maybe there's a more specific meaning. If there is, I don't know it.

Once again, the time has become late and I can't linger right now, though I want to post a bit more before signing off.

Goodnight, :)

amastie

amastie

A response to a re-reading of the article

Hi,

I wanted always to respond to your different replies to this article but needed the right time to be able to take it in again - as much as I could, anyway.

On this reading, I found words that I?m sure I?ve never seen before and have yet to look up their meaning. And I found the references particularly to ?archetypes? not so familiar to me as they would be to others, but without a doubt my overwhelming response was again one of ?He knows me. He knows what I do, intimately.?

I had to give myself the time to feel unafraid of taking in the meaning (as much as I could) and the unfamiliar references notwithstanding, I kept being shocked to find in this article insights the like of which I?ve not read before, certainly not before my psychiatrist explained that I used manic defense as a coping strategy in my life.

Sparrow, if it?s reasoning was circular or redundant, then that was lost on me. I could only see the points that were for me revelatory. I also found this re-reading not easy to follow, but certain phrases shouted out to me and mirrored back to me something that *did* make sense. I read it with a mind ready to see if anything stood out and so much of it did. I didn?t worry about the way it was written so much - although I was at times taken by surprise by what his allusions (right word?) captured for me. There was for me too a sense of mental gymnastics but I didn?t allow that to deter me. I let it slide, and that allowed me to find meaning - again - that truly astounded me.

I?ve recently come to believe that I must address, once more, the events in my childhood that continue to plague me with irrational fears in this life. Coming from that place, as I re-read this article, I found confirmation in this article that I am heading in the right direction.

don?t be crazy,

I don?t know if I could say that there is wise revelation in these words or not, only that they speak to me in a way that I?ve never found other words have done. I can only say what they mean to me. Maybe my understanding of them won?t be what they mean to someone else, but out of respect for your question, I?ll try to say what they mean to me.

I find it very hard to do because I think I have a sense of what it means to me more than I have a clear or logical grasp of it, but I?ll try to articulate what I can.

In the first paragraph, it refers to a ?defense .. by means of an identification with the archetypal cores of the complexes?. I?ve tried to find a meaning for ?archetypal cores? and cannot find one. At least, not online. But what I get from this paragraph is that manic defense starts with a distorted identification with something, or someone, who hurt you very much. In order not to feel so hurt, there is a need to reframe the hurtful event - ?reframe? in both senses: reinterpret it to make it look different, less hurtful; but also to put it into a box of some kind, make it more emotionally remote. Then, sadly, from that point on, you can?t be entirely real with yourself or others because you?ve learned to rewrite part what you have experienced. Not just rewrite it consciously, but unconsciously - not wanting to know what was real.

In the second paragraph, ?the affect [feeling] that comes before the creativity? (ie the ?creative? reframing of the event) [which feeling was the true response to the original trauma] is tossed aside and replaced by ?the affect that comes after?. The reinterpreting of the original event produces a different set of feelings that may bear no immediate relevance to the original trauma; feelings removed from what actually occurred, or not appropriate to what happened. You?ve taken an event and built around it a different story. I think that is what is meant by the ?creative? aspect. But to reframe your own history - your own truth - is to split yourself in a deep way, even though the ?new? story is easier to live with. In this second paragraph too, the author seems to say that in creating a false interpretation around the original event, that at least you haven?t fundamentally given it up either. Rather, you?ve put it somewhere where it cannot hurt you as much. Because, in that sense, you never did let it go (you only reframed it), you also have the possibility of reclaiming it when you are ready to own what really did happen to you. (From the 3rd paragraph, this would be the ?depressive encounter with it?.)

I find it very interesting - and *very* true of me - where he says in the 3rd paragraph ?Although it may take years to find the words to formulate the feelings ... it may take still more years before one will allow oneself to be moved by those words.? (to be truly in touch with the pain of what happened (Because that?s admitting to yourself what really happened).

In this same paragraph, the author refers to ?the words to say it?. He has those in quotes and I wonder if he is drawing them from a book by that name by a French writer called Marie Cardinal. I read it a long time ago and, although I remember her story only in part, the title has haunted me ever since because they resonate so strongly in me, and I was struck by seeing this author use them also.

I particularly like the first sentence of the 4th paragraph ?But reddening into life is not easy, for the mind, having secured for itself and imaginal or linguistic mastery, reflexively eschews the gasps and sobs through which its words and images could be reconnected to the flesh.? .. to what really happened.

I love the expression ?manically whitened mind? because it describes exactly how one can become so frantic hiding from what one truly feels, behind such a flurry of verbosity and disarray of unconnected feeling in the desperate hope that what is conveyed is, indeed, ?whitened? - the real meaning made impenetrable. I?m near to tears as I write that. Those times of are so frequent for me and invariably alienating. How could they not be? They?re not real.

It is at this point, in particular, that I can personally place the author?s frequent use of the word ?creative?. It takes an awful lot of imagining and creative effort in a way to sustain the illusion in order to stifle - even to yourself - the real impact of what really did happen to you.
In the 5th paragraph, the author refers to ?what Freud called the Repetition Compulsion?. God, I can place that! ... time after time. Because you?ve never truly healed what happened, you continue to relive it - appear to invite it - increasingly into all areas of your life, often in ways that bear no outward meaning to what is happening now. And yet there is meaning, always a trigger, however much others cannot see it (and cannot, of course, understand the behaviour which it in turn triggers).

In this paragraph I find a word that is as foreign to me as any I?ve ever seen: enantiodromia. I found a reference to it in Wikipedia - ?a concept introduced by Carl Jung meaning the superabundance of any force inevitably produces its opposite. ... Jung used the term particularly to refer to the unconscious acting against the wishes of the conscious mind?. I wonder of that is the same thing as when someone asks you to not look at something and you can?t help but look at it. You so much want *not* to look at it that inevitably you *do* look at it. I can place that too, very clearly, especially when in desperately trying to give the impression that I am ?here? (emotionally present) that it is all the more obvious that I am *not*. It?s not possible to be emotionally present when you frightened to be truly seen. It?s as if you?re keeping up a dance the whole time. (It recalls to me the title of the film ?I?m Dancing As Fast As I Can?.] The author of this article says ?healing comes, if at all, only as a sort of enantiodromia brought on by our perilous persistence in the defensive folly of our manic creativity?. If it can finally bring us undone, then we can be healed of what we can no longer avoid, otherwise the dancing continues.

In the 6th paragraph, the author points out that we miss the opportunity to be healed of our need to maintain the dance (staying with my analogy) only because we fail to ask the question ?why am I doing it??. (Speaking for myself, the immediate answer is ?because I?m too frightened not to?. The young man referred to in paragraph 7, ?took aesthetic relief? in finding a poetic way of asking the decisive question (what would it take to get me out of this mess?) ?but he never really put his questions to himself, asking what they meant to him personally.? The young man found relief in formulating the words which would free him but couldn?t bring himself to live their meaning. it is something I can place very, very often - again, because it?s too frightening to go there. Is it self-destructive? Of course! But so does the thought of owning up to the real impact of what happened, and that fear is more pervasive.

In his 9th paragraph, the author makes clear that maintaining the creative charade - no matter how much we take relief (like the young man discussed earlier) - by toying with the notion of healing by *talking* about it (however creatively or knowledgably) doesn?t finally enable us to bridge the divide between what we really feel and what we don?t.

(Not liking the author?s conclusion, I find myself screaming inside ?I hate this world. I want to get off!?)

I find the author?s 10th paragraph very insightful. In it, he says ?It is not just that the trauma ... must be faced if that person is to live upon the earth as a human being. The opposite is also the case.? [Paraphrasing ... the pleasure, the investment that one has in the charade one has built up in one?s own mind in order to hide from the original pain must be confronted and relinquished. (That is *far* from an easy task! Speaking for myself, I don?t know if it?s possible, though I admit that reading these words by Greg Mogenson do bring me more closely in touch with the reality of my experience than is usual.

I find Paragraph 11 more obtuse. Who would have thought that there was a word called ?aniconically?? (It should refer to something like anti-conically; but apparently not. :hmm: )

I particularly like paragraph 12. ?Elliot was right: The end of all our exploring will be to arrive at the place we have started and to know it for the first time. ...?

Mostly, I like, and am terrified by, the two sentences which make up the 13th (and last) paragraph - greatly abbreviated here: ?The healing of the split between the psyche and soma, the subtle embodiment of each in the other, occurs .. in that paroxysm of grief in which we actually allow ourselves to be moved by what has been moving us? ... and, quoting Keats, ?let the warm Love in?.

I have not meant by discussing this article in such length either to ?creatively? distance myself or to compound whatever faults others may have seen in the article. It?s just my response.

For now,

Best wishes,

amastie

Sparrow

Hello Amastie,
I like your critique of the second read and the personal reflections. I will read the article again myself, but rather...slowly. BTW, as an aside and as much as you are on the other side of the world, they say the world keeps getting smaller. As it turns out, the chap that wrote the article has his office very close to where I live.

amastie

Hello Amastie,
...As it turns out, the chap that wrote the article has his office very close to where I live.

Interesting :)

Sparrow, and don't be crazy,

To you both,

Thank you for your replies. I spent *very* long writing that reply and, in the process, got more in touch with my truer feelings than I can ever remember. It's left me hurting because I'm too close to them. Probably not a bad thing. (But it doesn't feel that way <sigh>)

I woke today feeling (since writing that reply) a stronger connection to my body, and found that I was able to accomplish something in the house - I put my washing in the washing machine. That may not sound like a big deal to anyone else, but for me it's a *very* big deal, so much do I withdraw from being physically in the world. Inevitably, I was so overcome by being able to do that washing that I broke down in tears and had a need to tell a friend what I had achieved. My friend and his wife were kind and shared my joy. And yet a strong sense of frailty and vulnerability has remained with me.

I don’t want to lose that, not if it means that I am in the process of being undone. I must allow myself (at least, the charade who is me) to be undone if I’m to connect in a real way to the world. There is a part of me, a stronger part now (I think) that wants to do that.

I hope it wins out <another sigh>

Speak to you both another time.

Thank you again,

amastie

Sparrow

Hi Amastie,
I tried to find a quiet moment to re-read this essay and it made much more sense after I learned who his audience was. It was printed in The Journal of Analytical Psychology. Now that could support the wordplay of the essay. The opening introduction...

This essay examines how some psychologically adroit individuals use creativity as a manic defense against the affects that they cannot bear to experience directly. Conceived within the perspectives of Jungian psychoanalysis, manic creativity is shown to effect a defense against the subjective distress of personal complexes by means of an identification with the archetypal cores of the complexes. This defensive use of creativity, however, may ultimately play a decisive role in healing. Indeed, when considered from a prospective or teleological point of view, manic creativity, for all its insensitivity to the suffering that has inspired it, can also be understood as gradually creating a container in which affects formerly defended against may be received and suffered, felt and grieved. In is in this way that manic creativity, though clearly a defense (and at times a very costly one), participates in the reparative initiative of the self.

...I would sum up in...mindful self-healing. But I must respect the article for it's form.
The "archetypal core" to me is an instinctual inner model of motive, or a kindred ally to the complex if you will.
Amastie:
reinterpret it to make it look different, less hurtful; but also to put it into a box of some kind, make it more emotionally remote.
I would say more emotionally supportive given the reparative initiative of the self, but remote or supportive can both be more approachable than something very raw I would think.

The albedo's whitening and rubedo's reddening to me at least, corresponds in this context to a life's journey and destination, with all it's implications and waystations we may or may not (circular part) realize.

I also thought the article was a little too romantized and felt like I didn't need to read it threw a kind of membrane or filter. But the article is very insightful just the same. And there's nothing wrong with romantics.

For some reason, I was also reminded of Nicomachean Ethics.

Where's David's thoughts on this? :peek: ABANDON ALL HOPE YE!? Just kidding :)

amastie

...For some reason, I was also reminded of Nicomachean Ethics.
I must look that up, just out of interest.

Thank you Sparrrow for your much considered and well informed reply. You brought more knowledge to it than I could ever have done, yet I'm happy to have found this part useful and so meaningful to me.

David,
I'm too ignorant of Jung to have an opinion of his work overall. I know that I felt drawn to his writing years ago but not enough to follow through with a fulller understanding of the "archetypes" that he speaks of. For me, for now, it is as you said - "whatever works.."

My best wishes to you both,

amastie

amastie

It's true that I have issues around self-disclosure and anonymity, but my much considered response to the Manic Defense article by Greg Mogenson is something that I have re-read a few times and, each time, it has got me back in touch with myself in a way that I cannot recall anything else doing. I can now use my own words to help me not to run from the pain inside. I cannot say that it will, alone, bring an end to my pain, or the "creaative" charade which keeps it intact, but it is more affecting than anything else available to me, certainly at present.

I wanted to acknowledge here the huge benefit of this thread to me and to thank those who persevered in responding to it, especially Sparrow for taking the time - and the effort - required by an article that was in some ways a maze of words :)

My heartfelt thanks,

amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.