More threads by Retired

Retired

Whether you're a live in Dad, a single parent Dad, a part time Dad, an absentee Dad..if your Dad is ill, living far away, in a rest home or past away....try to find a way to celebrate the gift of fatherhood.

If you are the Dad then perhaps Father's Day could be celebrated by honoring and recognizing the children that make you a Dad. They are our future, and your positive reinforcement will ensure they carry on the values that you, their Dad taught them.

If you are the son or daughter, chances are your Dad made more than one personal sacrifice to provide your family the means to enjoy what you have today. Tell your Dad you love him, give him a big hug, because the years go by quickly and at some point those hugs will just be a memory.

If Dad is out of town, out of the Country....call him.

On the other hand, maybe your Dad disappointed you in your childhood, due to some personality, psychological, psychiatric, or substance abuse disorder....... work hard to come to terms with his hardships to put them behind you. Write your Dad a letter, telling him your feelings about those difficult time.

You may or perhaps may not want to deliver the letter, but at least you can confront the demons in writing.

We know, from our Psychlinks experience that many of these disorders were not being treated in the era of our Dads, and mental illness awareness was not widespread, so many Dads were reluctant to seek help due to stigmas attached.

Your Dad won't be around forever, so if you have anything you want to tell him, tell him sooner rather than later.

Why not tell him this June 16, 2008.

He will be pleased to hear the words,

"I love you Dad..."

Aurora

More than anything I would love to celebrate fathers day but my mother chose to NOT inform my father she was pregnant so he knows NOT of my sheer existance and also of his 3 grandchildren :( thanx mum :!

My childrens father does know of their existance :eek:mg: but has actively chosen to have nothing emotionally or financially to do with them for hmmm...bout 6-10 years now so um dont need to acknowledge today for him either.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.