More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Health Canada should stop approving homeopathic remedies — period
by Robyn Urback, CBC News
April 20, 2018

It is conferring legitimacy by way of licensing, no matter what it requires on the fine print

homeopathy.jpg

If you've ever diluted your apple juice with water to cut down on your sugar intake — congratulations! You've just made a homeopathic remedy.

OK, that's not entirely fair. To actually have made a homeopathic remedy, you'd have to dilute the solution so many times that there would basically be no apple juice left. Then you'd have to claim what is now water somehow retains a "memory" of the apple juice, which, according to some research somewhere, can then be used to treat your rheumatoid arthritis or stomach flu.

(Actually, one of the for-serious homeopathic remedies for RA is a solution made with the toxic bryonia plant, but again, the mixture contains virtually non-existent amounts of the solute and is essentially no different from your homemade apple juice "medicine.")

The next step is to go on fiverr.com or something and crowdsource a logo, then apply to Health Canada for a licence under the Natural and Non-prescription Health Products Directorate.

homeopathic-cough-syrup.jpg
Homeopathic and conventional children's cough and cold remedies often appear in the same section of the drugstore. (CBC)

The application process involves listing the "medical" ingredients of your product, along with their quantities and potencies (aside: how do you measure the quantity and potency of something that doesn't exist?) as well as this: "information that supports the safety and efficacy of the natural health product when it is used in accordance with the recommended conditions of use."

Notice that the condition is for "information," not "evidence." That's likely because there is no evidence that homeopathic products work other than as placebos. Which is fine — it's great, in fact, if homeopathy works for some people. But that doesn't mean Health Canada should classify it as medicine.

Research council report
A few years ago, an Australian medical council reviewed 225 controlled studies of homeopathy and found "there are no health conditions for which there is reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective." Plenty of other reviews confirm as much, though the Australian study remains the most comprehensive.

Proponents of homeopathy often point to a 2011 Swiss report that supposedly confirmed that homeopathy is effective, but the authority of that report is undermined by apparent conflicts of interests involving its authors, weak methodology and loose re-interpretations of existing conclusions.

None of this is new. For years homeopathic practitioners have been peddling magic mixtures, and for years Health Canada has been offering them its stamp of approval — a stamp that validates roughly 8,500 products that are no more effective at treating ailments than my tasteless apple juice mixture.

The latest incident to make headlines is one of a B.C. naturopath's claim that she treated an aggressive child with a homeopathic treatment known as lyssinum, which is made from the saliva of a rabid dog. Fortunately, the lyssinum is a treatment of basically nothing — as are all homeopathic treatments — since not even trace amounts of the initial solute exist in the final mixture.

That is a good thing, otherwise the naturopath would have given the child rabies, and homeopathic practitioners everywhere would potentially be committing small acts of bioterrorism every time they prescribed it.

Health Canada hasn't said much in response to the rabid-dog-saliva treatment other than issuing a boilerplate statement to CBC News, saying: "Health Canada takes the safety of health products on the Canadian market very seriously. Should a product not meet the requirements set out in the associated product monograph and guidance, Health Canada will take action."

On this and essentially everything else involving homeopathy, Health Canada is stuck: either it affirms the alleged effectiveness of these products despite the total lack of scientific evidence, or it concedes that it has been green-lighting silly water as a health product in its role as a government regulator.
coryzalia.jpg
Health Canada has changed the labelling requirements on some homeopathic products in recent years.
This product, made by French company Boiron, now has to carry the disclaimer: 'This claim is based on
traditional homeopathic references and not modern scientific evidence.' (Boiron Canada)

In response to controversy in the past, Health Canada has made anemic gestures toward the latter interpretation.

After reports emerged of homeopaths peddling homeopathic vaccines as a "safer" alternative to actual vaccines, for example, Health Canada began requiring that these "alternative" vaccines be labelled with a disclaimer: "This product is not intended to be an alternative to vaccination."

After a 2015 CBC Marketplace investigation in which producers invented a remedy for children's pain and fever and provided photocopies of a 1902 homeopathic reference book as evidence of its efficacy, Health Canada began requiring that products marketed for children not make specific treatment claims unless backed by scientific evidence. Labels are also now supposed to read: "This claim is based on traditional homeopathic references and not modern scientific evidence."

Conferring legitimacy
These guidelines are followed sometimes, and sometimes not. But as long as Health Canada is conferring legitimacy by way of licensing, the actual text on the label likely won't make much of a difference.

This is not to say that Health Canada should get out of the business of licensing natural remedies altogether: there are varying degrees of evidence supporting the efficacy of different kinds of alternative medicines. But credible evidence to show that homeopathy is anything more than the administration of placebos just isn't there.

There's a case to be made that maintaining a licensing framework is Health Canada's way of "keeping an eye," so to speak, on the homeopathy industry. To make sure these products don't make claims they can't fulfil.

But to that I'd say, for one, the suggestion that these products will do anything remotely medicinal is in itself an outlandish claim; and two, the harm of licensing arguably outweighs the good.

True, the treatments themselves might not do harm, but by presenting them as a credible medicinal option — natural health products approved by Health Canada are supposed to be "safe, effective and of high quality" — will, for some, validate a decision to delay or forgo mainstream scientifically backed medicine. In rare cases, that can be a deadly choice.

Health Canada's stamp of approval should actually mean something, but it can't as long as it continues to approve magic potions as medicine.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Yes, that is mentioned in the article. It's not clear whether that woman is a naturopath or a homeopath since CBC and CTV seem to be confused about the difference (in practice, unfortunately not a lot. However, she is now under investigation by her licensing board.

Fortunately, in reality, the boy was "treated" with water, so it didn't harm him (homeopathic "remedies" are diluted thousands of times so in the end the only ingredients remaining are water and the mythical "water memory" invented by a unicorn).

As an aside, homeopathy seems to be weirdly popular in France.
When I was looking for pharmacies, there were a bunch of them that mentioned "homeopathie" on them.
:panic:

The thing that I bought actually worked so thankfully I didn't end up with an incorrect product, but it seems like it's a total blend between normal meds and homeopathic stuff here.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Health Canada investigating use of unlicensed homeopathic remedy made from rabid dog saliva
CBC News
April 20, 2018

Naturopath Anke Zimmermann said she treated 4-year-old with substance purchased from U.K. company

The homeopathic remedy made from rabid dog saliva that a Victoria naturopath says she used to treat a small boy was not licensed for sale in Canada, and the federal government is opening an investigation.

Anke Zimmermann told CBC News earlier this week that she purchased her lyssinum from Helios Homeopathy in the U.K. While the treatment — also known as lyssin or hydrophobinum — is approved in general by Health Canada, the lyssinum produced by Helios is not licensed for clinical use here.

"Helios Homeopathy does not hold a licence for any products containing the ingredient lyssin/hydrophobinum," Health Canada spokesperson Andre Gagnon wrote in an email. "Based on the information provided, Health Canada is opening a case for follow-up."

The sale of unlicensed natural health products comes with possible penalties of up to three years in prison and $5,000 in fines, he said. According to Health Canada, it's too early in the process to say whether Zimmermann or Helios would be the subject of any potential penalties if investigators find violations of Canadian law.

Naturopath responds
Zimmermann made headlines around the world this week after she wrote a blog post claiming she'd used lyssinum to bring a four-year-old with behaviour problems "back into a more human state from a slightly rabid dog state."

She said Friday she was not aware of the Health Canada investigation. She said she was unsure about how the federal government's licensing regulations apply to naturopaths.

"All homeopathic remedies are made according to strict standards. They all follow the same basic procedure," she said.

anke-zimmermann.jpg
Anke Zimmermann, a naturopath in Victoria, wrote a blog post saying she used it to bring four-year-old with behavioural
problems 'back into a more human state from a slightly rabid dog state.' (Anke Zimmermann/Facebook)

Zimermann told CBC News she found the media attention to be "a bit excessive."

"I think the focus should be more on the fact that this is something that really helped the child and has potential to help many people," she said.

Her public comments about the treatment have prompted a complaint from the B.C. Naturopathic Association to the body that regulates naturopaths in this province.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer, has also expressed "grave concerns" about Zimmermann's claims and said she will write to the federal government about the case.

Lyssinum is what's known as a homeopathic nosode, a remedy created by taking a bodily substance from a diseased human or animal and diluting it repeatedly in water and/or alcohol.

Zimmermann has said the saliva used to make lyssinum is diluted so many times that it contains no trace of the rabies virus.

Health Canada has approved a long list of nosodes, including remedies made from the cankers of syphilis patients, the cerebral fluid of people with meningitis and cells taken from carcinomas.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And here are the very impressive credentials (/sarcasm) of "Doctor" Zimmerman:

About Dr. Zimmermann
Dr. Zimmermann holds a yoga teacher's diploma from Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from the University of Toronto, a Naturopathic Doctor's degree from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and an advanced specialization in classical homeopathy from the Canadian Academy of Classical Homeopathy. She completed her CEASE Therapy certification training in 2013 and is a homeoprophylaxis supervisor under the auspices of Free And Healthy Children International. She also holds an Assistant Early Childhood Education certificate from Sprott-Shaw College in Victoria.

She is trained in clinical nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathy, lifestyle counselling, traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, applied kinesiology testing, IV therapies, bodywork, and various energy healing techniques.

Upon graduation from naturopathic college, Dr. Zimmermann was honoured with awards for achieving the highest grades in the class in botanical medicine and homeopathy.

Her favorite modality of treatment has always been homeopathy and she has taken intensive additional training in homeopathy with some of the world's best homeopathic teachers, including George Vithoulkas, Louis Klein, Rajan Sankaran, Sadhna Thakka, Alfons Geukens and many others.

She is an anti-vaxxer who continues to propagate the repeatedly discredited "theory" that vaccines cause autism.

On that same page, she says this:

In 2011 I discovered the work of Dr. Tinus Smits and it completely changed the way I approach autism and many other childhood developmental and behavioural issues. He discovered that in susceptible individuals, vaccines, medications and numerous other toxins can exert combined pressures on the developing nervous system to co-create autism and related conditions.

He also discovered that these conditions can often be treated by using homeopathic preparations made from the suspected substances.
This was an incredible discovery and quadrupled my tool box to help these children literally overnight. I and the families under my care have not looked back since.

If only I would have known about this method 20 years ago when I saw that little out-of-control boy. I still wonder sometimes how his life has unfolded. My own life is now completely dedicated to helping these children and their families to recover and also to educating my colleagues about this promising new therapeutic method. It saddens me tremendously to see so many children being diagnosed with these disabling conditions and not receiving the help they really need.

In the process I have also become intensely interested in the vaccine controversy and have spent about 8000 hours in the past seven years educating myself on this topic. It came as a great shock to me to learn that vaccines are a major contributor to these terrible, life-long conditions, but fortunately, with the work of Dr. Smits, I can now help most of the children affected.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Homeopathic Logic

Anke Zimmermann, the homeopath in this story, posted about this case on her blog in the form of a case study. She has now deleted that blog post but a PDF :acrobat: of the article was found elsewhere on the internet.

The young boy (4 years old!) in question certainly appears to have had some behavior problems. His teachers suspected ADHD and/or Oppositional Defiant Disorder

But this is her logic:

• when younger, he was bitten by a dog which "broke the skin slightly" on his hand
  • Zimmerman hypothesized that the dog may have carried the rabies virus from a rabies vaccination (typical of antivaxxers who don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of vaccinations at all)
  • the boy reportedly had trouble falling asleep and had bad dreams (not uncommon at age 4)
  • it is claimed that his bad dreams were about dogs, wolves, werewolves, and zombies (the paper isn't clear about how this information was obtained from the 4 year old boy or about how much prompting was used, e.g., leading questions)
  • when angry, the boy reportedly made growling sounds
  • it is reported that he likes meat, especially hamburgers, hot dogs, and red meat (yikes! a 4 year old who likes hot dogs and hamburgers? unheard of!)

Zimmerman's Homeopathic Conclusion:

The dog that bit him may have been recently vaccinated with the rabies vaccine or the dog bite in and of itself may have affected the boy with the rabies miasm. Either is possible and the phenomenon is well known in homeopathy.

A bite from an animal, with or without rabies vaccination, has the potential to imprint an altered state in the person who was bitten, in some ways similar to a rabies infection. This can include over-excitability, difficulties sleeping, aggression, and various fears especially of dogs or wolves. This child presented a perfect picture of this type of rabies state. Most homeopaths would have recognized the remedy required in this case.

Seriously? Have you ever read such utter nonsense in your life? How is it even possible that a supposedly intelligent adult could believe such outright garbage?

The PDF containing the full text of her "case study" is appended.

Attachments

• A-Child-with-Aggression-and-Behavioural-Problems-Anke-Zimmermann.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 3

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How is it even possible that a supposedly intelligent adult could believe such outright garbage?

She should have stopped after the yoga diploma and became a yoga instructor.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.